Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking with auto-leveling suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my previous MB and Audi sedans with air suspension would settle lower after exit. It is normal behavior. I always park just short of the block... It's someone else's problem if they hit the rear. ;)

A couple of times when I realized I was stuck, I raised the height and waited a minute for the car to rise (MB and Audi).

I think this is really a sports car, high end sedan issue in general.

A good way to get use to the margin/space you have left when parking...
Stick a small balloon to the lower end of the bumper and if you hear it pop then you stop.

I had a friend do this when they got their first lowered sports car. A few tries and they had got to the point where they could park touching the balloon on to a curb but not pop it.
No scratches on their front or rear diffuser in the process either.

I'm glad I can't see the underside of the front plastic guard because this has happened a few times. Other owners have experienced substantial damage due to the car lowering over curbs after parking. Seems that technical solution would be for the car to remember its height upon going into park and not allow it do drop significantly lower than that point unless instructed to do so by the driver. I have heard my Model S's air compressors adjust the height while the car was parked on its own, but have also noticed the "lowering" effect which caused minor scraping underneath when backing out.

So far, I haven't had to use height adjustment for handling curbs and stoppers. Early on, I noted (per suggestion somewhere in the depths of the Forum) the position of the curb or stopper in relation to the left mirror. I found that when the curb or stopper (of the next slot) starts showing up below the lower edge of the mirror that I have about 6" to go. Your results may vary according to your driving position. It doesn't work if there is no adjacent curb or stopper or for parking at an angle but I just err on the side of safety in those instances. Have somebody outside stop you at the right distance and then take note of the mirror relationships.