Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all need to email ownership, and push them to find a retrofit remedy...I think tesla should take care of us early adapters, as we were the ones whom risked being testers for this now successful launch of the model S. when I emailed ownership yesterday, I was told that nothing was finalized yet ..and that they are still looking into the feasibility of retrofit.

the more of us that email ownership, the more likely we will have a solution...so please email [email protected] as tesla needs to hear from us !

I agree!

I received the same info. I get to go to the factory in Saturday to get my car (yay!!!) and asked if there was anything I could do to get the parking sensors added. They said I could cancel my order or wait for the eventually determined retrofit. Main reason being- she said actually integrating the sensors into the new models is actually 6-8 weeks out so you can get them right now, period. After some deliberation and lolling at the price jump- I've decided to take my car Saturday and get the retrofit when that eventually comes out. Stinks they didn't have it and can't get it installed before I get mine, but truth be told its nice that there will be a retrofit. Can't do that on most cars...

What do these sonic punch machines do differently? Do they create some mounting surface for the sensors that cannot be made any other way?

Technically, if I can mount the sensors and wire them up, Tesla could flip a bit and activate the sensors. Coming from a BMW, people were able to figure out how to retrofit a new navigation system into non-navigation system cars. These were not supported by BMW. It was painful for the first people to figure out, but nowadays it's straight forward. I can't imagine parking sensors being that complicated to wire up. Some sensors, a brain, and a connection to the main bus is all there is.

If I had a better relationship with the service center, I'd probably just ask them to order the individual parts, and then look up wiring diagrams and do it. Even thinking about it more, there was a secret service menu on the 17" display that said if parking sensors were present. I bet all you have to do once hooking up the sensors is to toggle the button to ON and you're all set....

What do these sonic punch machines do differently? Do they create some mounting surface for the sensors that cannot be made any other way?

Technically, if I can mount the sensors and wire them up, Tesla could flip a bit and activate the sensors. Coming from a BMW, people were able to figure out how to retrofit a new navigation system into non-navigation system cars. These were not supported by BMW. It was painful for the first people to figure out, but nowadays it's straight forward. I can't imagine parking sensors being that complicated to wire up. Some sensors, a brain, and a connection to the main bus is all there is.

If I had a better relationship with the service center, I'd probably just ask them to order the individual parts, and then look up wiring diagrams and do it. Even thinking about it more, there was a secret service menu on the 17" display that said if parking sensors were present. I bet all you have to do once hooking up the sensors is to toggle the button to ON and you're all set....

Pretty much. I coded numerous non-US features on my BMWs.

Tesla doesn't do anything differently than any other manufacturer. The sonic punch bullshit is just a ploy to charge more for the retrofit. The sensors are sourced from a common supplier. Wouldn't surprise me if the mounts and sensors were the same as in my other cars from TRW and Continental.

As I said before, I retrofitted active parking assist to an old VW. Worked just as if the factory did it. I used my own tools to drill the bumper using the guides already present.

Pretty much. I coded numerous non-US features on my BMWs.

Tesla doesn't do anything differently than any other manufacturer. The sonic punch bullshit is just a ploy to charge more for the retrofit. The sensors are sourced from a common supplier. Wouldn't surprise me if the mounts and sensors were the same as in my other cars from TRW and Continental.

As I said before, I retrofitted active parking assist to an old VW. Worked just as if the factory did it. I used my own tools to drill the bumper using the guides already present.

They could choose to make it very difficult for third parties to enable the software features, though I hope they don't do that. I actually just sent ownership an email suggesting that they allow for third-party and self-installs. I also told them that I could not understand the rumors about the holes needing to be made at the factory, when there are plenty of shops all over the place that do this sort of work.

Agreed. I suggested the same thing to them.

I've done retrofits with absolutely no guidance before and retrofits with factory kits myself. No reason to logjam service for something simple. Have it installed and then call Ownership to have them send an update to the car to turn on the feature.

I was just at the factory today and their test drive cars have sensors already installed. See pics below:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    543.8 KB · Views: 413
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    567.9 KB · Views: 398
The only logical explanation is tesla doesn't want to do the retrofit. Instead, make the cost high with some BS excuse of needing a factory bumper -and you have a small list of people who would actually pay for the retrofit.

Imagine if they charged the real cost for the retrofit? You'd literally have hundreds if not thousands of MS owners wanting to do it, bogging down service.

I can understand why Tesla design staff balked at the "bumper pimples" that are the parking sensors. But I'm glad Tesla shipped 'em, regardless of how ugly they my look. (I'm not glad at all that my order was already placed and they won't be on my car, but I am hoping the retrofit won't cost a fortune.)

I hope in time that Tesla will design their own sensors. Do some R&D. Figure out a way to place the sensors somewhere else, or in a way that makes the "pimples" nearly or totally invisible. This is what Steve Jobs would've insisted on if he were running Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if they charged the real cost for the retrofit? You'd literally have hundreds if not thousands of MS owners wanting to do it, bogging down service.

Tesla should start a registered, authorized "integrator" program, whereby 3rd party companies can get training and certification from Tesla to do retrofits and other feature add-ons that integrate with the Model S CPUs and APIs in an approved, safe, tested way.

That way, lots of companies could offer better stereo systems, parking sensors, cameras, security, entertainment, and other add-ons that actually work with the 17" screen and show up as apps.

I hope in time Tesla opens this up.

The only logical explanation is tesla doesn't want to do the retrofit. Instead, make the cost high with some BS excuse of needing a factory bumper -and you have a small list of people who would actually pay for the retrofit.

Exactly my point. When I installed front sensors on my M3 I used a factory kit. It cost me $595.

It came with:
Harness and all wiring
4 pre-painted sensors
Gaskets for sensors
Sensor mounts
Install instructions
Drilling guide

The installation took me a little over 8 hours. After install I coded the car and it was done.

Exactly my point. When I installed front sensors on my M3 I used a factory kit. It cost me $595.

It came with:
Harness and all wiring
4 pre-painted sensors
Gaskets for sensors
Sensor mounts
Install instructions
Drilling guide

The installation took me a little over 8 hours. After install I coded the car and it was done.

I emailed ownership a few days ago to ask if I could buy the parts to get it installed aftermarket, since I'd like the integration into the touchscreen. They sent me the same form letter, that they've put me on the list of interested parties for this retrofit. I really hope they can either do the work or let us find someone else to do the work. I love the car, but I'm incredibly nervous whenever I park or pull out of a spot because I don't have the sensors. I've been spoiled by our 2009 minivan, I guess.

Doubtful. The date of delivery will let the informed buyer know the actual new price paid. Their offer will reflect that.

As a used car buyer I have zero interest in what the person payed new. It's all about availability and comparison to the price I can get the car new. The idea that a person is going to be able to charge more for selling their their Model S because they payed more for the same car is ridiculous.