Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While its easy to imagine that the pano roof's shades would become an "extra-cost retrofit," the "Options and Pricing" page reports that "Manusl Sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. "

Yes, I'm hoping for the best, but I think the "options and pricing" page is still considered a work in progress :). It has changed before...

"Free retrofit" would be pricey for Tesla, even if (for example) only the first 1000 cars needed it. The last thing they'll want to do (costwise) is to bring all those cars in (or send rangers) for something this trivial, right?

We'll know soon enough!

/Mitch.

I remember that reports from the Santana Row event did say the red car had a regular hard top roof. There was one comment either here or on the Tesla forum from someone who sat in the rear seats of the hard top beta and the other betas with the panoramic roofs who said there was more rear headroom with the panoramic roof. Unfortunately I could not find the thread quote on a quick look, I'm sorry. If anyone else had the opportunity to sit in both I'd be keenly interested in their comments. Personally I'd prefer to go with a regular roof but am acutely aware of the tight rear headroom in the betas #23 and #29 with panoramic roofs which I've had the chance to sit in.

gg_wants_a_telsa: Do you remember whether the headliner perimeter around where a panoramic roof would have been, the sides and back behind the rear seat, bulged in as much on the red beta as it did on the betas with the panoramic roofs? Trying to determine whether the region of the perimeter ingresses less with a standard roof which it might if there are supporting members around the panoramic roof. Thanks.

I'm missing something here....does anyone regularly carry passengers over 6'4"?
Well, my teenage son is 6'3"+, but he generally gets the front seat just for that reason.

Your point is still valid though, it's not a normal thing. If you've got a regular need to transport giants :tongue: then that needs to be be a significant factor in the kind of car you purchase.

gg_wants_a_telsa: Do you remember whether the headliner perimeter around where a panoramic roof would have been, the sides and back behind the rear seat, bulged in as much on the red beta as it did on the betas with the panoramic roofs? Trying to determine whether the region of the perimeter ingresses less with a standard roof which it might if there are supporting members around the panoramic roof. Thanks.

Sorry, didn't pay much attention above eye level. Was too busy checking out the seats and the (lower) interior fit and finish given all the debate about those that weekend. If I get a chance again with a roofless beta in the Bay Area stores, I'll observe and post for sure.

I'm missing something here....does anyone regularly carry passengers over 6'4"?

No. But MY head hits the frame behind the panoramic roof, and I regularly carry passengers taller than myself (my wife and kids are all 2" to 4" taller than me). I'm 5'9", but apparently have no legs. Or perhaps I sit up straighter than most.

So I'm eager to try out a vehicle with the regular roof.

Yup, It used to say

With the All Glass Panoramic Roof, Model S is the only sedan capable of delivering a convertible-like drive experience every day. It's more than a sunroof: the entire roof is constructed from lightweight safety glass. With a simple swipe of the Touchscreen, it opens wider than any other sedan's panoramic roof. Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. On even the hottest days, the innovative glass blocks 93% of visible light and 79% of heat to keep the cabin comfortable.

So 5% more visible light and 2% more heat blocked.

why do they say "blocks 98% of visible light"? It would be dark in the car then!
I want to see thru the roof!!!! ;-)

Yeah, had the same thought. When closed, 98% is as good as opaque. So, unless one regularly opens the sunroof (and we had some folks say that it's rather rare that they actually do that), seems like an unnecessary option to go for?! Well, that was my reasoning anyway to go for the black roof instead and save some $$.