Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice but Elon said Model S and X will always be the first to benefit from better technology first then trickle down to Model ≡.
No, what he said was that they'd be the technology leader. He was referring to new technology that Tesla is developing, not necessarily technology that is new to Tesla. Meaning, they could get a HUD from someone else and use it in the M3.

There is also nothing to prevent them from updating the S and X in the next few months and have a HUD option or, less likely, include it standard.

There is also nothing to prevent them from updating the S and X in the next few months and have a HUD option or, less likely, include it standard.

This.

I do think Elon's quote means that Tesla won't offer any features on the 3 that aren't already available or standard on the S/X.

I don't think that fact precludes a HUD.

I think it's fairly likely that in late March or early April Tesla will do the part 3 unveiling, show a HUD for the 3 - and start shipping S and X cars with standard HUDs that week. In my opinion that's entirely in line with their corporate ethos and goals and past guidance ("spaceship like controls")

Last edited:
...He was referring to new technology that Tesla is developing, not necessarily technology that is new to Tesla. Meaning, they could get a HUD from someone else and use it in the M3...

Very interesting interpretation. Let's read what he said again:

"In order for us to produce the Model 3, we’re critically dependent on the revenue we receive from the people that buy the Model S and Model X.

So, it’s important to bear in mind…the thing that is enabling the Model 3 to exist, is fundamentally the people that are buying the Model S and Model X today and historically.

People wonder, should I buy the Model S or the Model 3?

The Model S and the X are always going to be our technology leader.

We’re not intentionally trying to withhold technology from the 3 but rather because it’s fundamentally more expensive when you have new technology until you can do multiple design iterations and achieve economies of scale.

So, those that buy the Model S and X should know that they actually will be buying the most advanced car and they will effectively be paying for that technology to make its way to the Model 3."

Very interesting interpretation. Let's read what he said again: ...

Thanks, I'd read what he said....

The reason I don't think he is referring to third party/proven technology is where he says "...until you can do multiple design iterations and achieve economies of scale." When getting something from someone else that is already in production, has already been tested, and can be purchased from them you don't run into the issues like they did with say the falcon wing doors. Now, if Tesla is developing their own HUD hardware and software then I'd agree and say it'll be on the S and X first.

Reactions: internalaudit
every year some major electronics company debuts a HUD. Haven't seen one yet make it to market.

Prius site has:

Advanced Technology Package
Color Head-Up Display (HUD) with speedometer, navigation and Hybrid System Indicator and power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade

99891_20160121_HUD-Near_MPH.jpg

Prius site has:

Advanced Technology Package
Color Head-Up Display (HUD) with speedometer, navigation and Hybrid System Indicator and power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade

99891_20160121_HUD-Near_MPH.jpg

That'd be nice to have. I'd love to see the current instrument cluster information all transferred into a HUD, including the various selectable side screens. Part 3 will certainly be interesting. :)

Thanks, I'd read what he said....

The reason I don't think he is referring to third party/proven technology is where he says "...until you can do multiple design iterations and achieve economies of scale." When getting something from someone else that is already in production, has already been tested, and can be purchased from them you don't run into the issues like they did with say the falcon wing doors. Now, if Tesla is developing their own HUD hardware and software then I'd agree and say it'll be on the S and X first.
I think you're reading something that isn't there (i.e. distinction between Tesla tech and 3rd party tech).

It's fairly clear that the overall sentiment is that the S and X will get any new tech first because they are the premium products. As it should be given the relative price points, right? Even tech that is bought from someone else is not immune from the problems of scaling and design iterations, as it still hasn't been extensively implemented in the real world

Personally, I'm still hoping for an inner windshield which is a transparent, curved AMOLED panel so that (faint) HUD graphics can appear across the entire windshield. Some could be used to track other vehicles with superimposed wireframe boxes etc.

The outer windshield is a conventional laminate which is cheap to replace if damaged.

The steering wheel controls look vaguely familiar. I think HUD is foundational to the 3 - without the reality and camera part. I don't know the history of Panasonic heads up, but if the model 3 functions are the mature ones, Panasonic has thrown enough money into the effort to at least get a shot at the business.

Personally, I'm still hoping for an inner windshield which is a transparent, curved AMOLED panel so that (faint) HUD graphics can appear across the entire windshield. Some could be used to track other vehicles with superimposed wireframe boxes etc.

The outer windshield is a conventional laminate which is cheap to replace if damaged.
Not sure this will happen (cost?), but perhaps. But I suspect it will HUD + AR and will have a bigger image. Face facing camera might be included to help calibrate the oroje ted images with reality. I am trying to keep my expectations lower so as not to be disappointed at the reveal. I expect reveal and S/X updates to coincide.

We all know for a fact that the success of the Model 3 is critical to the success of the company, so making it as appealing as possible to the consumer is necessary. I would think adding in a flashy selling feature (such as a HUD) that in itself doesn't make them any money for the first 6-12 months until it gets cheaper is a small price to pay to accomplish their long-term goals.

I think the hand-me-down-tech philosophy will apply to all current and future tech with the exception of this "flash feature" to give it a distinctive selling point. And of course there's no reason not to add it to the S/X before the 3 is released.