Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic Debuts Next-Gen Head-Up Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUD is old a molasses. It does not work in all scenarios. It is pathetic in direct sunlight.

Tesla, Please Please continue your forward thinking. Don't reach back in the past to arcane technology.

This interior is amazingly inspiring for me....concerning screen technology and the future.

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net.../3e8fc7fb-e586-4fa0-8f97-42499798cbf7high.mp4

Please continue reaching toward the future. Great job at reveal 1 in keeping everything clear and clean in the M3.
I see it a little differently. While HUD have been around for a long time, they have never been used in conjunction with AI. I think the HUD in the Model 3 will be more for safety and couple with the autopilot AI so that it provides a safer and more convenient environment in which to control the car. I'm all for it.

PS - This video is two years old. Where is the technology now?

Dan

Reactions: electracity
...and here is another great video regarding the subject. This is Trevor Page who started the Model 3 Owners Club forum. Lots of fabulous observations on his part...granted it is all speculation at this point, but if you want to skip to the discussion regarding HUD it is at around 18:05 of the video.

Dan

Last edited:
Unless you give the driver special glasses, any form of HUD is visible to passengers. :)
Not true. The HUD of my Prius is only visible from;the drivers seat.
This is probably because the hud only projects a small image on the window. Anything much larger will probably be partially visible by the passengers.

I like how the Toyota can display messages on the rear of the vehicle ("turning left..."). Maybe it can have a voice activated feature to display what you are yelling at the tailgater behind you!

I wonder if it would be censored... it may have to be...

thumb1367509173.png

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
That would also be visible for passengers, which would be very weird for them because it would only look correct from the point of view of the driver.
Why would it matter if it was visible to the passengers? Gauges are visible to the passengers as well. For me at least, increased safety and driver awareness would take precedent over passengers getting a somewhat strange view.

Dan

Why would it matter if it was visible to the passengers? Gauges are visible to the passengers as well. For me at least, increased safety and driver awareness would take precedent over passengers getting a somewhat strange view.

Dan
Gauges are not a problem, but maybe there will be markers indicating what autopilot 'sees', like line markers and car markers (actually, if not, it would be loss of functionality compared to the current system). Those markers will only be correct from the viewpoint of the driver (note that the new Panasonic hud even has cameras to track the position of the eyes of the driver) due to the parallax effect.

Actually that isn't necessarily true. My 6-series BMW has a HUD (which, by the way, is one of my favorite options!) and unless you are in the "back seat" and looking straight forward, the HUD is completely invisible to passengers. Front seat passenger has zero chance to see the HUD, even if they try (i.e. lean way over towards driver). If you are even a little (10-15° I'd guess) off of drivers centerline it's invisible.

I have an X5 with the heads up display.... a nice touch and almost necessary because the "conventional" style round dial display on the dash is confusing... but one downside to the HUD is when I put on my polarized sunglasses it disappears :(

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and GoTslaGo
Show me an HUD that is clearer than the new interiors I posted.

I think people here like stuff they haven't personally seen before or some appearance of magical floating stuff. HUD has always looked cheap and 1980'ish to me.

The reflection of my cell phone display in the windshield blows away any HUD I have seen.

• Informative
Reactions: smythey
Head up displays are pretty tricky. If you think of them as a series of mirror lenses acting to make an image appear to be 10 ft in front of the vehicle, so that one looking from the driver's "eye-box" never has to change focusing distance... The images disappear if you move the eyebox even a little. 20% of the weight and size of a head up display is dedicated to eye box location adjustability. The stray light should go mostly into the headrest.

I have an X5 with the heads up display.... a nice touch and almost necessary because the "conventional" style round dial display on the dash is confusing... but one downside to the HUD is when I put on my polarized sunglasses it disappears :(

I love the HUD because it keeps my eyes on the road and not always darting back into the car to the dash to see speed and such. Plus works great with nav directions (good for longer trips) for same reason. Yeah, your phone will have better directions and gps options, but having the (stock) gps display arrow directions in your field of view and bring able to keep my eyes looking out instead of peeking into the interior is very useful.

Yes, can't use polarizing sunglasses and that's a bit of a bummer. But I found I liked the HUD a lot more than my sunglasses so I just bought some sunglasses that weren't polarized. Problem solved

It sounds like you're saying it's possible a HUD will be an option for the S/X but offered as standard for the 3. I don't think that will happen.
My only reason for thinking it might not be standard on the S and X was because they just updated them with the new AP hardware being standard and that caused a lot of fuss with all the people that had just gotten one without the updated hardware. Now that you put it the way you did though, it does seem more likely that they'll just make it standard and say to hell with the complaints. They'd get more feedback that way too.

Any bets that "Reveal-3" in the spring will be a HUD available (orderable) for the S/X, and coming for the M3? Then the "real" reveal for the M3 (options, pricing, etc) will be in the mid-late Summer.

I think mid to late summer is too late. I guess it depends on what they mean by "late 2017" for starting volume production. If they aren't going to start building until October or later then a July or August reveal would work, with the first people configuring in September. On the other hand, their pie in the sky date was July 1st, and to eve come close to the 100 - 200,000 they want to build this year, they'll need to start production much earlier than October.

Tesla's Model 3 HUD will "Probably" utilize the feed from the Medium Range Camera, (see link) displayed on the windshield. They already gave us a peek at what to expect. I think they are going to blow your mind Garlan!
Tesla starts pushing new Autopilot 2.0 update: Autosteer at ‘low speed’, Traffic Aware Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning
If Tesla goes with HUD, then I hope it does blow my mind. I can't imagine how it will, however I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I love the HUD because it keeps my eyes on the road and not always darting back into the car to the dash to see speed and such. Plus works great with nav directions (good for longer trips) for same reason. Yeah, your phone will have better directions and gps options, but having the (stock) gps display arrow directions in your field of view and bring able to keep my eyes looking out instead of peeking into the interior is very useful.

Yes, can't use polarizing sunglasses and that's a bit of a bummer. But I found I liked the HUD a lot more than my sunglasses so I just bought some sunglasses that weren't polarized. Problem solved
What are you looking at in your HUD?
I never have to look at my dash board. Maybe once when I get in the car to make sure I have enough gas,...however that's just about it.
I never have to look at my speed or anything. I pretty much know how fast I'm going +- 3mph or so. I could care less how many rpm my engine is going and the engine temp? - it'll beep or something if there is a problem. I'm bluetoothed to Pandora so I don't need to see the radio.

You guys should try it......I promise you that you don't need the dash as much as you might think.

I think Late March reveal, with new technology appearing coincidently in the S/X (they are always improving, so deal with it). Potentially the HUD will be: eye-tracking, quite large in windscreen, also projected onto a passive screen with touch (replacing the lcd display in the prototypes), and possibly display across the entire vertical strip on the dash. I think it will be advanced. It will display HUD and AR, in that it will show what objects the car has identified and whether they are threats, routing info, and other info useful to driving. They will put in the best hw they can afford, and update the software for the display in a continuous way.
[[ However, I am trying to suppress my prediction as I do not want to be disappointed. ]]
[[ I am not sure how much of a gimmick the haptic 3d touch thing is ... ]]

I think Late March reveal, with new technology appearing coincidently in the S/X (they are always improving, so deal with it). Potentially the HUD will be: eye-tracking, quite large in windscreen, also projected onto a passive screen with touch (replacing the lcd display in the prototypes), and possibly display across the entire vertical strip on the dash. I think it will be advanced. It will display HUD and AR, in that it will show what objects the car has identified and whether they are threats, routing info, and other info useful to driving. They will put in the best hw they can afford, and update the software for the display in a continuous way.
[[ However, I am trying to suppress my prediction as I do not want to be disappointed. ]]
[[ I am not sure how much of a gimmick the haptic 3d touch thing is ... ]]

I hope haptic becomes real. CES2017 sponsored some of it.

Look out for Ultrahaptics haptic feedback in new cars this year

Last edited:
All I'll say is I want a hud with gps directions on it. I don't want to have to look at a garmin or phone or any other portable or console device ever again *this includes the 15" display*. I want my eyes looking in front of me, but be able to see all around my car.
I would like to see cameras of left/right and rear on mirror on lower part of the drive side window. Mirrors are very reflective. I currently use one for my projector.

Reactions: favo
What are you looking at in your HUD?
I never have to look at my dash board. Maybe once when I get in the car to make sure I have enough gas,...however that's just about it.
I never have to look at my speed or anything. I pretty much know how fast I'm going +- 3mph or so. I could care less how many rpm my engine is going and the engine temp? - it'll beep or something if there is a problem. I'm bluetoothed to Pandora so I don't need to see the radio.

You guys should try it......I promise you that you don't need the dash as much as you might think.

Fair enough. Speed is nice to have displayed even though I also can probably sense within +/-5mph of my speed. Navigation directions on the HUD are very convenient, especially because I don't like to have to have the GPS audio directions voice on. Also various alerts pop up there - the other day I got the slippery conditions (<37°F) warning. With no HUD, I would have just heard a generic "bong" tone and would have had to look into the car's display to see what that warning tone was trying to alert me to.

All the little things add up and I remain a fan of HUD. But to each his/her own of course.