Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painfully crowded and slow charging on I5 between LA and SF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUH i don't know how you got that I have driven both routes and just did a google map drive from Tejon ranch supercharger to my house, via i5 is 4 25 mins and 299 miles. and via 99 its 4 hours 30 mins 302 miles (3 miles longer).

Yes, I traveled those two routes in the late '70s, and the only reason Interstate 5 was preferred in those days was that there were still three traffic lights along 99 (Livingston, Keyes, and Delhi, I believe.) But I always traveled one highway going and the other coming back home. Moreover, 99 still had stretches of the old divided highway that allowed more access and cross traffic. Now it is all freeway and the last light was removed about 30 years ago.

Back on topic, the more compelling reason for taking 99 between LA and Sac is that the Manteca Supercharger is only 5 minutes from 99. It is about 8-9 minutes coming from Interstate 5. So, those three extra miles evaporate quickly, and probably give a slight edge to 99.

Kettleman is pretty close to Harris, though there are certainly way more options for food. But it seems like opening a site at Santa Nella or Los Banos would take pressure off of both Harris and Gilroy.

Providing more locations seems preferable to expanding existing sites. More sites means drivers can wait until they need a charge to do so, and then get maximum charging rates from an empty battery. Westley, Santa Nella, and Lost Hills would be good to start.

HUH i don't know how you got that I have driven both routes and just did a google map drive from Tejon ranch supercharger to my house, via i5 is 4 25 mins and 299 miles. and via 99 its 4 hours 30 mins 302 miles (3 miles longer).

Ah ok I see what happened. Google Maps 99 alternate route was routing thru Lancaster for some reason skipping Tejon and adding many unnecessary miles.

In regards to the northern part of 5, I haven't had trouble at Corning, Shasta, Grants Pass, Springfield, or Woodburn getting a spot. However, they were all relatively busy, and Springfield looked like this at 7am today. Not cool, but I'm guessing the parking lot ran out of spaces and these were the last ones taken. Giving the benefit of the doubt to the ICEs. I'm the white car, and the very last stall was inaccessible because of a very long pickup truck overhanging the spot (not visible).

IMG_1169.jpg

Tejon Ranch SC is definitely in need of an expansion, when I was driving back to Sac from San Diego I took the last spot, this was around noon on a Tuesday. Definitely not weekend traffic, wonder what it's like on the weekends.

On a side note, the line at chipotle was so long that by the time we got our food the car had enough range to reach harris ranch SC, not wanting to make anyone wait for a spot we took it to go.

Tejon Ranch SC is definitely in need of an expansion, when I was driving back to Sac from San Diego I took the last spot, this was around noon on a Tuesday. Definitely not weekend traffic, wonder what it's like on the weekends.

On a side note, the line at chipotle was so long that by the time we got our food the car had enough range to reach harris ranch SC, not wanting to make anyone wait for a spot we took it to go.

Sounds like our modus operendi at Tejon as well. I have never had to wait there. I have shown up and its empty and then it fills up after i arrive. I have had way more issues at Harris Ranch.

When we got to Tejon this past Sunday afternoon, all spots were taken and there was a line of 4 cars waiting. This must have been an impressive sight since at least one ICE car stopped to take a picture of the Tesla parade. There was roughly a 30 minute wait to get a charging spot. I'm assuming this is probably the peak travel time; at other times, there have usually been no more than 1 or 2 other cars charging.

Some wishful thinking: it would be cool if Tesla provided a way to see usage pattern data for each supercharger, so you could figure out the off-peak hours and schedule travel plans accordingly.

OK, here is a question for y'all concerning congested Superchargers:

The last time I charged at Ft. Tejon was in late June on a Saturday around 1:00PM. I got the last available stall. Two more owners showed up within 5 minutes and started queuing up. Three of the cars already plugged in had manufacturer license plates. The drivers of those cars were elsewhere. I presumed that those cars were loaners.

So, here is my question: Let's assume that those three Teslas with manufacturer plates were being driven by employees on company business. What would be the correct protocol? Should they stay with their car(s) and move if a customer arrives? Should they stay with the car(s) and approach a waiting customer to notify them how much longer they will be plugged in? Or is it first-come-first serve, so take a number? Would it matter if the employee were a grunt or Elon Musk himself?

Most likely company cars running between the design center and the factory. Most loaners I have seen will have Dlr plates instead. employees of all people should be conscientious of charging protocol and move asap to let owners in. did you look on the dash for a card? most of the mfgr plate cars I have run into at chargers put their business card on the dash to call them.

OK, here is a question for y'all concerning congested Superchargers:

The last time I charged at Ft. Tejon was in late June on a Saturday around 1:00PM. I got the last available stall. Two more owners showed up within 5 minutes and started queuing up. Three of the cars already plugged in had manufacturer license plates. The drivers of those cars were elsewhere. I presumed that those cars were loaners.

So, here is my question: Let's assume that those three Teslas with manufacturer plates were being driven by employees on company business. What would be the correct protocol? Should they stay with their car(s) and move if a customer arrives? Should they stay with the car(s) and approach a waiting customer to notify them how much longer they will be plugged in? Or is it first-come-first serve, so take a number? Would it matter if the employee were a grunt or Elon Musk himself?

All cars, whether driven by owners or Tesla employees, should move once they've charged enough to reach their next destination.