Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90 vs Rimac Concept One and LaFerrari

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I participated in the Nikola Tesla Rally in Croatia this summer in Tesla #14 (rented it in Austria) :) During the rally I had a chance to meet Mate Rimac and did some driving behind the Concept One along the Dalmation Coast. What an awesome car and Mate is a really awesome guy too.

13310544_10153744148328284_2342574090298575885_n.jpg

Matt and I

13315718_10153744148308284_4477549499019158758_n.jpg

Makes me wonder what tesla will have to offer with the upcoming roadster and maximum plaid
Look no further than Model 3. If only Tesla allow Model 3 in just one configuration to fit the same numer of 2170 cells as an S or X, considering the lower weight and rolling resistance and drag, with a proper set of tires would set a whle new level in performance, for Teslas. Merely offering the same output and motors as the current P90DLS (soon that will be a "small" pack) would result in figures way better than we can now grasp. Model S is lighter and more slippery. Both matter.
With the same battery volume as the S, Model 3 with 2170 cells could easily pack 115-120kWh by the ttime it's introduced. That might warrant a bigger from motor to be fitted. Although I'm not sure it would ever pass the slip limit with so much power on tap.
Sporty tires aimed at 0-60 would make a difference. Model S is now promoted by testers as 2.65 seconds to 60mph. 2.3 for a sport 3 is totally doable :)

Oh my would you look at that, the rimac has a 2 speed transmission so it can actually accelerate past 80 quickly. What ive been preaching for a long time now. The rimac will continue to beat the tesla no matter what they do if they don't add a second gear. Another thing to point out is that surface was horrible for acceleration. It was done very early in the morning(around 6a.m.) so the track was very cold and it had not been used in a long time so their was dust and dirt all over it. The fact that the rimac was able to manage a 9 second quarter mile on that surface is crazy. To really see how much the surface hurt the rimac, just look at the Ferrari. Look how far behind it was from a car that did a 9.92 quarter in that run(I would guess that the Ferrari did a mid to high 10 maybe even 11 flat in that run) and take the knowledge that the Ferrari does the quarter mile in 9.8 on a proper surface so we are looking at low 9 seconds for the rimac on the right surface! keep in mind that they have the concept s that weighs over 100lbs lighter, has over 200hp more, and has much better tires than the concept 1 as well as much higher downforce.....

Last edited:
Oh my would you look at that, the rimac has a 2 speed transmission so it can actually accelerate past 80 quickly. What ive been preaching for a long time now. The rimac will continue to beat the tesla no matter what they do if they don't add a second g
Acceleration above 80mph is meaningless except in Germany on the Autobahn. Speed limits on public roads make a second gear of no consequence. I don't want Tesla to spend any time or resources developing a 2-speed transmission, there are numerous far more important and useful things to focus on.

And the Rimac costs over 6 times as much as P90D Ludicrous and only seats two. It's not even remotely the same class of vehicle and they should not be compared to each other.

Reactions: Alketi and spottyq
Acceleration above 80mph is meaningless except in Germany on the Autobahn. Speed limits on public roads make a second gear of no consequence. I don't want Tesla to spend any time or resources developing a 2-speed transmission, there are numerous far more important and useful things to focus on.

And the Rimac costs over 6 times as much as P90D Ludicrous and only seats two. It's not even remotely the same class of vehicle and they should not be compared to each other.
Ummm what are we talking about in this thread? A drag race. Where obviously a second gear helps. And I was responding to comments about the next gen roadster. Obviously the model s is never going to beat a 2 seat sports car. It sucks BAD at everything that is not getting off the line. That is why if I could buy any luxury sport sedan right now it would be 2016 Cadillac cts-v. Its currently the highest performance sedan you can get. Yes i think it is above the model s because like i said, the ONLY thing a model s can do is get off the line. Every other type of performance you can possibly think of, the cts-v would DESTROY it.

Stick to your sedan, we are talking about performance cars here.

Stick to your sedan, we are talking about performance cars here.
Agreed, it is ridiculous to compare a 5 seat sedan to a Rimac, and to pair them up in a quarter mile competition.. Completely different classes of cars. And that is why it would be a waste of Teslas time and resources to make a 2-speed transmission, which is what you are advocating for.

Agreed, it is ridiculous to compare a 5 seat sedan to a Rimac, and to pair them up in a quarter mile competition.. Completely different classes of cars. And that is why it would be a waste of Teslas time and resources to make a 2-speed transmission, which is what you are advocating for.
Did you miss the part where I said I was responding to remarks on the next gen roadster?

Did you read the first line? If not look right here^^^ Just want to make sure you did because you seem to skip over some of the things I type. And ya like I said, the model s sucks at anything other than getting off the line.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDotJ
Does the LF even need that? It has some electric assistance. Probably well enough to break traction up to the point the revs have climbed?
The issue is fairness. If the EV is enabling all its features to get the best possible launch, the only fair way to compare is LaFerrari uses all its feature (launch control) to get the best performance result. The performance of the Rimac Concept One is certainly very impressive, but I just want a fair comparison.