Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone put your seats in the full upright position. You're about to experience the power of the P85D! And don't blink or you'll miss it!
Wow! That's about all I can say after experiencing that kind of acceleration! 0 - 60 in 3.2 seconds is sheer power! And to quote the 98 year old friend who was the first rider in my P85 in Dec. 2012, "so smooth!"
I just found out this weekend that 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds is approximately freefall speed! So the P85D is really close to 1G acceleration!
All that said, no, I didn't get to drive it, but my wife and I did get a test ride! They said the hardware in the car was 100% P85D but it didn't yet have the firmware to support all the hardware. However it was picking up speed limits from road signs and nudging the steering wheel when drifting across lanes. The steering wheel has been updated. The turn signal lever, cruise control lever, and steering wheel adjustment lever have all been updated. It had the new seats too. I guess the old ones must fit me pretty well because I didn't notice too much difference. But I was paying a lot more attention to the G force! Although the head rests are different. Didn't notice much else changed though. Well, except for the frunk which has certainly lost some space.
And that upright seat position, yea, don't forget. I really mean it. You don't want to be leaning forward when the car snaps you back into your seat that hard!
Here are some photos I took.

a133b71a0bb48e3205d352529e25acf1.jpg

3bb9ca8a79ce1b8d4452159076f92811.jpg

f076ae591dbc3dbb0782ee60ecd84f32.jpg

cbac07aa66809f2fe762c9f7b4359033.jpg

320809de7f513113edb5d0f005042003.jpg

Since you have an P85, do you feel that the D handles the power better with the AWD?....my P85 fishtails under acceleration so I am curious if hte AWD handles that better?.....and did the new seats sit lower?

your link doesn't work.

Since you have an P85, do you feel that the D handles the power better with the AWD?....my P85 fishtails under acceleration so I am curious if hte AWD handles that better?.....and did the new seats sit lower?

your link doesn't work.
Especially when it is wet, I can certainly make the rear of my P85 slip a lot. We didn't take any turns very hard, but the P85D seemed to hold the road extremely well. Through the whole ride it never slipped, not even in the slightest.

The steering wheel itself didn't really change. However the levers all around it changed notably. The turn signal side has all changed. Levers a different positions and slightly different feel and function.
The gear shift lever has a much smaller parking brake button.

Ok, yes the stalks changed. This happened about three weeks before the D was announced. It happened at the same time the new autopilot hardware started being installed.

Ok, yes the stalks changed. This happened about three weeks before the D was announced. It happened at the same time the new autopilot hardware started being installed.

No it happened before that. There's probably a good 2 weeks of vehicles that had swapped stalks but didn't have Autopilot hardware. My vehicle that I traded was one of them.

I'll just provide the link where I compared my September 2014 to a June 2014 loaner:
(to the Model S, aside from 'D') - Page 2

Almost everything that was in the D blog other than the power closing charge port door was already in my car before Autopilot was available.

In retrospect I believe the taller seats are about the rear seats. I only compared the front seats. I notice on the NextGen seats the back seat headrests are noticeably taller in Tesla's render pictures on the order page. So I'm not sure that bit shipped either.

No it happened before that. There's probably a good 2 weeks of vehicles that had swapped stalks but didn't have Autopilot hardware. My vehicle that I traded was one of them.

I'll just provide the link where I compared my September 2014 to a June 2014 loaner:
(to the Model S, aside from 'D') - Page 2

Almost everything that was in the D blog other than the power closing charge port door was already in my car before Autopilot was available.

In retrospect I believe the taller seats are about the rear seats. I only compared the front seats. I notice on the NextGen seats the back seat headrests are noticeably taller in Tesla's render pictures on the order page. So I'm not sure that bit shipped either.

Ah, you're correct. I forgot the stalks and the revised speaker grille in the back were out before autopilot.