Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D range and highway battery performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Lolachampcar for pointing this out as I think it's critical for everyone to understand, especially for those who are trying to get as much range as possible for longer trips. On a recent 180 mile trek using .139 of the software, my energy usage was significantly better when I disengaged TACC and instead modulated the throttle myself.

david,
I've found it is very easy to disengage torque sleep if I am not very careful with the throttle. I've also found it near impossible to get torque sleep to stay engaged when TACC has any traffic to deal with. TACC is rude at best when dealing with the throttle and has zero ability to anticipate.

My results support this. On my P85D trip where I got 241 miles and arrived with 28 rated miles, I was very careful to only use TACC when I was on an open road with no traffic ahead of me. When I started to catch another car, had PSL changes, or was coming into or leaving a town, I always did it on manual accelerator for just these reasons. On manual accelerator, I attempted to be as gentle and smooth as possible as I could with my control inputs, anticipating power needs; TACC is not able to do that.

P85D range and highway battery performance - 241 Miles on a Single Charge

david,
I've found it is very easy to disengage torque sleep if I am not very careful with the throttle. I've also found it near impossible to get torque sleep to stay engaged when TACC has any traffic to deal with. TACC is rude at best when dealing with the throttle and has zero ability to anticipate.

EXACTLY. It surprises me that it is not smarter ! You can see only red lines of 100 cars braking in front of you, TACC still goes full speed and then slams on the brakes ! Detecting red lights should be much easier than detecting cars, and it also seems to be that TACC does not take into account the speed of the car ahead, just the distance.

However, this is a new addition, so I am sure it will get much better in time.

Try as I might, I've never been sure when the P85D drops into Torque Sleep. Lola, what do you see/hear that allows you to conclude the car is in TS?

Hello @stevezzzz, I'm sure @lolachampcar can do a much better explanation than I can, but the first thing I see is an obvious drop on the energy consumption graph. In addition, I hear less noise in the rear and I think a slightly higher pitch in the front motor. This becomes more apparent if I mute the music and open the windows. Once in TS, if I try to punch the accelerator, there is a slight delay/hesitation.

Try as I might, I've never been sure when the P85D drops into Torque Sleep. Lola, what do you see/hear that allows you to conclude the car is in TS?

I'm not Lola, but I can tell when my torque sleep is engaged at speed because the hum I have when RANGE MOGE is OFF goes away.
Check out my video here:

BTW Steve thanks for adding your latest data to the Google doc.
Would you be able to just change one setting (RANGE MODE only, or SPORT/INSANE only) so we can keep track of which one has a gain in efficiency?
I believe that if you drive the same way, SPORT/INSANE should not make a difference, but RANGE MODE should.

Last edited:
Same as above.... I see a significant drop in steady state power once the throttle has stabilized. In addition, the throttle goes from "twitchy" or super responsive to somewhat lethargic for small movements. Larger movements return the throttle to very responsive and the power jumps right back up. Of course, I have the benefit of driving on nice flat Florida roads some with little to no traffic which makes it easy to reproduce the above.

not related to the versions of course; however, its good to check alignment. I haven't gone more than 2,000 miles and toe was out almost 3 degrees. Air suspension is tricky to adjust for due to the camber changes etc, but factory spec toe shouldn't change regardless of the setting. I have see a few others on the forum talking about this...if you are struggling to realize range closer to the spec, its probably worth checking. I gained at least 10% improved efficiency by getting this fixed.

not related to the versions of course; however, its good to check alignment. I haven't gone more than 2,000 miles and toe was out almost 3 degrees. Air suspension is tricky to adjust for due to the camber changes etc, but factory spec toe shouldn't change regardless of the setting. I have see a few others on the forum talking about this...if you are struggling to realize range closer to the spec, its probably worth checking. I gained at least 10% improved efficiency by getting this fixed.

Where did you get this done? Service center?

Traffic has been a mess around here lately and I've found it is almost impossible to get TS to engage or have any meaningful reduction in consumption with anything more than very light traffic. This makes a lot of sense when considering why some have had no luck at all getting TS to engage.

Where did you get this done? Service center?

just a local spot with a high end 4 wheel alignment set up

- - - Updated - - -

thats the point though...the only thing we should really be detecting is additional range. And, given the description of how quickly its supposed to activate on and off, I would suspect that seeing or hearing symptoms outside of that may be a placebo effect more than anything....barring some of the descriptions about not hearing the sounds at speed of engine noise - that makes sense.

Traveled to Delaware Friday/back on Saturday. Around 130 miles each way. Temps were in the low 30's... Had it in Sport mode and Range On... Only saw an average of about 360 wh/mile. Decent tailwind out and headwind coming back... relatively flat terrain.

This was disappointing but I don't know how much the temps and wind affected the drive. I was hoping to see something more in the lower 300's...

On the positive side, the Trip Planner was amazingly accurate in the expected energy usage.

Last edited:
Travelled to Delaware Friday/back on Saturday. Around 130 miles each way. Temps were in the low 30's... Had it in Sport mode and Range On... Only saw an average of about 360 wh/mile. Decent tailwind out and headwind coming back... relatively flat terrain.

This was disappointing but I don't know how much the temps and wind affected the drive. I was hoping to see something more in the lower 300's...
With temps in the low 30s I average 340+ Wh/mile in my S60 :)
Wind and cold temperatures are a true range killer.

I'm on a road trip in the P85D from my home outside Denver to El Centro, CA. Yesterday's leg was Moab to Flagstaff with a stop at the Blanding Supercharger. I'm still on .139; Range mode ON; Sport mode; sunny and dry roads, temps in the 40s F.;winds all over the place but mostly 10 knots or so either cross- or head winds. We had the Tuba City Quality Inn and RV Park available for a 10kW booster charge if we needed it, so we unplugged from the SpC just before 100%, when the charge rate dropped below 10kW; the Trip calculator suggested we were -18% on the needed range for the 251 miles from Blanding to Flagstaff, which is overall nearly 1000' uphill, with two serious descents to the San Juan River and the highway junction west of Tuba City.

Long story short: we made Flagstaff, without stopping to charge, with 20 Rated miles remaining, at an average of 277 Wh/mi. Speeds were mainly 55-59 in TACC (which felt like standing still on the straight, lightly-used roads where most people blew by us doing 80); though we were able to speed up to match the flow of traffic on the long uphill run from Tuba City to Flagstaff, after the Trip chart showed that we had hypermiled our way from an 18% deficit to a 12% surplus on needed range.

Three cheers for torque sleep!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm on a road trip in the P85D from my home outside Denver to El Centro, CA. Yesterday's leg was Moab to Flagstaff with a stop at the Blanding Supercharger. I'm still on .139; Range mode ON; Sport mode; sunny and dry roads, temps in the 40s F.;winds all over the place but mostly 10 knots or so either cross- or head winds. We had the Tuba City Quality Inn and RV Park available for a 10kW booster charge if we needed it, so we unplugged from the SpC just before 100%, when the charge rate dropped below 10kW; the Trip calculator suggested we were -18% on the needed range for the 251 miles from Blanding to Flagstaff, which is overall nearly 1000' uphill, with two serious descents to the San Juan River and the highway junction west of Tuba City.

Long story short: we made Flagstaff, without stopping to charge, with 20 Rated miles remaining, at an average of 277 Wh/mi. Speeds were mainly 55-59 in TACC (which felt like standing still on the straight, lightly-used roads where most people blew by us doing 80); though we were able to speed up to match the flow of traffic on the long uphill run from Tuba City to Flagstaff, after the Trip chart showed that we had hypermiled our way from an 18% deficit to a 12% surplus on needed range.

Three cheers for torque sleep!

Nice Hypermiling!

I think that 251 actual miles is a new record for single charge distance for a P85D. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I'm on a road trip in the P85D from my home outside Denver to El Centro, CA. Yesterday's leg was Moab to Flagstaff with a stop at the Blanding Supercharger.

Any chance you kept detailed enough records of that leg (or portions of it) or could for future legs, and would be willing to enter some data into EV Trip Planner and then post the data here: Comparing P85D Torque Sleep efficiency (versions .139 and .140) to EV Trip Planner

I really think having some numbers, with EV Trip Planner data for benchmarking purposes, from people seeing great efficiency, will be helpful.

Thanks either way, as the data you're posting is certainly helpful already! (It would just be great to be able to add the benchmarking component too.)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Edit: I just found this post from you in another thread:

We drove the 251 miles from Blanding to Flagstaff on a single charge in the P85D yesterday, with 20 Rated miles remaining. Details at

P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 28

EV Trip Planner said we'd need 265 Rated miles; we used 233.

So I'm guessing you are planning on posting the EV Trip Planner info at some point! Thanks!