Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D range and highway battery performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dirk,
I'm a bit more critical than that. My P+ lifetime was under 290 WHr/mile while I'm killing myself trying to get the PD under 300. It's not going to make it so I've given up and simply turned off the display. Now I have to push buttons to see how bad it is and (know thyself) I'm too lazy for that. I'm happy now and simply drive the car :)

dirk,
I'm a bit more critical than that. My P+ lifetime was under 290 WHr/mile while I'm killing myself trying to get the PD under 300. It's not going to make it so I've given up and simply turned off the display. Now I have to push buttons to see how bad it is and (know thyself) I'm too lazy for that. I'm happy now and simply drive the car :)
I had my first sub 300 ride to work this morning \O/
Lifetime on my 60 was 317 - the first 900 miles on my P85D are at 383. Oops :)
But then comparing P85+ and P85D makes a lot more sense than comparing an S60 with the P85D...

A few weeks into my ownership now, and I have had a couple 330km trips and have to say range is well within what I expected. First trip was around 0celcius with a mix of snow/rain and quite windy. Driving an average of maybe 100kph I would have had 350-360km range if I hadnt stopped to try an SC just for fun. Trip back was with much better weather at 5-10celcius and sunny with little wind. Drove a bit faster and would have had 400km range if I hadnt stopped at a SC again;) Torque-sleep seems to work great on norwegian highways at least. Had I followed the speedlimit I would have had even better results.

All on Nokian Hakka R2 studless wintertires on the standard 19" wheels, two adults and two small children. Semi-packed car with room to spare in the trunk and nothing in the frunk. Insane with range-mode. Dont really notice any negative effects of the range-mode.

So after much worrying and speculation I am now quite happy with the performance so far:)

Power-usage to and from work is for some insane reason way higher;)

We finally had the chance to take my wife's P85D on a long, multi-supercharger length trip that we have done very often in our P85, and even in our Roadster previously. The trip is from our home on Salt Spring Island, BC to Clarkston, WA and back, about 900 miles/1450 kms.

In summary, we found that the range (in Range Mode) was quite comparable, but perhaps a shade less (as rated) than with the P85. Overall, we averaged about 335 Wh/mi (208 Wh/km).

Conditions varied from rain to dry, 40ºF to 65ºF. On the way out we had a strong tailwind, but little wind on the way home.

The Trip Energy Prediction was usually very conservative, and we consistently beat it easily on all legs, by as much as 10-15% of SOC. It seems it is calibrated for non-range mode travel, or just not well tuned for the recent efficiency tweaks on the D.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, we found that using TACC consistently does really seem to enhance efficiency. On the first outbound leg, my wife was not using TACC (had to win her over to trusting it), and she had at least 15% lower efficiency than when I was driving with TACC.

Seriously cool videos. Some of the best testing I've ever seen. Totally eliminated all sorts of variables in the environment and really made it an apples to apples test. The only thing, and a minor nitpick, would have been to show alignment specs just before each of the tests so we know that it wasn't fixed alignment on the P85D that did it. But I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case because what you showed was the ability of the P85D in the second video to get nearly identical efficiency to the P85.

Now how the hell did you get a yellow P85? I would have picked that color in a heartbeat if it had been available. The other two best colors, sig red, and the brown, are not available either.