Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D is a good value (versus Audi RS7, BMW M6 GC, and Mercedes CLS63 AMG)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, On the factory tour before I picked up my P85D, they mentioned that the seats were made by an Australian company, who had an office in Fremont near the plant. Not sure if those were the performance seats or regular seats.

All the previous seats are supplied this way, as far as I understand. The new 'Next Gen' seats in the P85D are made by Recaro. One of the issues with the new cars is that the seats have been held up in the Port of Oakland with the ongoing Labor dispute there (along with many other items). Since the 'regular' seats are local, they used them as temporary substitutes.

I'm not really a car guy and would never have considered buying a $100,000+ car prior to stumbling upon the world of EVs and Tesla specifically. After spending $110k on my P85 last year, and now $125k on my P85D, people thought I was crazy. "You can buy a nice BMW or Mercedes for a lot less than that!" Well, turns out that's not really true. To get a BMW or Mercedes with the same level of performance and functionality as a P85D, you're going to spend about the same amount of money. Not to mention these cars only get 9-10MPG when driven hard. Bottomline is the P85D is expensive, but so is an Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. See prices and specs:

2014 Audi RS7 vs. 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe, 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S-model Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver

You are famous!
Tesla P85D vs Audi RS7, BMW M6 GC, Mercedes CLS63 AMG?

Audis are front-wheel drive cars

The Tesla compares to those others only in power and with its nice display. It is significantly weaker in terms of interior construction quality, audio system quality, seating comfort, ride/suspension quality, and general features. Source: I have an Audi A7 and Tesla P85. I should add that the Tesla also has great storage, though my A7 is pretty good for that too.
Audis are not in the same class as the premium brands as they are front-wheel drive cars.

Agreed. My personal wish list has gotten shorter with the P85D vs the P85. It's now down to just:

ventilated seats
heads up display
rear cup holders!!!
360 degree camera/parking assist
rear camera guidelines

With the recently released 6.1 update you can take 'rear camera guidelines' off the wish list.

Yeah, I'd agree with previous posts that the Tesla interior still is the weak point when compared to ICE luxury brands like Audi, Porsche, and BMW. I'm a longtime owner of Audis (including an S5 presently, deciding whether my next vehicle will be a S7 or Tesla S85D), and my wife recently purchased a Porsche Cayenne. The interior of both vehicles in our garage are fabulous -- especially the attention to detail in the Porsche (minus all those extra buttons that make it look like a airplane cockpit). My wife sat in the Tesla when I brought it home last weekend, and she was like "The exterior of this car is beautiful and understated, but the interior is furnished like a glorified golf cart and the seats are downright lousy", and I was honestly struggling in convincing her that she was wrong. Then again, the wife is always right... right? :wink:

Yeah, I'd agree with previous posts that the Tesla interior still is the weak point when compared to ICE luxury brands like Audi, Porsche, and BMW. I'm a longtime owner of Audis (including an S5 presently, deciding whether my next vehicle will be a S7 or Tesla S85D), and my wife recently purchased a Porsche Cayenne. The interior of both vehicles in our garage are fabulous -- especially the attention to detail in the Porsche (minus all those extra buttons that make it look like a airplane cockpit). My wife sat in the Tesla when I brought it home last weekend, and she was like "The exterior of this car is beautiful and understated, but the interior is furnished like a glorified golf cart and the seats are downright lousy", and I was honestly struggling in convincing her that she was wrong. Then again, the wife is always right... right? :wink:

Try again with a P85D. :)

The new sports seats really dress it up.

I purchased a P85D in late December and my wife and friends have been wow'd by the simplicity and elegance of the interior, exterior and sheer performance. I've driven about 2.5K miles in 3 weeks - including a couple of 100 mile away day trips and an 8 hour each way trip to from the Bay Area to LA and back. No squeaks, rattles or complaints. My kids and I love the Internet radio, the integrated web browser, the smarter navigation that factors in charge level at the destination and options for refueling if needed along the way. Zero dollars to the oil companies either.

we had 1 Porsche 911 C4 Cabriolet and 5 BMW's before (X5, M5, M3, M Roadster and 750iL). They were all great cars in their time. But im left with a feeling over over-engineering and adding superfluous features just because they can do it. Not that anyone truely needs it.

With the Tesla, efficient, high performance and elegant design - with forward looking technology improvements is what I see coming. The over the air sw updates and continual improvements are a fantastic change in the way a car manfacturer sells their vehicle... much like how my iPhone or iPad work. I imaging many more apps to run on my Tesla over the next few years, along with higher capacity battery pack upgrades. The car already has all the speed and acceleration I would ever want already.