Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Front Motor Noise Levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... Last couple of pages seem to summarize to: "Don't be over sensitive, all cars make noise when accelerating", or "Tesla acceleration sounds like this", or similar.

Since my post is way back in the thread: I drove the black (or possibly dark blue, it was night) P85D at the Dallas/NorthPark store on 12/9. It has California plates. I heard an objectionable whine from the front. What I heard was NOT related to acceleration or power in any way. It was purely related to speed. An absolutely constant whine, whose frequency varied only with speed. No variation with power, regen, coast, etc. There are unique acceleration noises, and I agree they are pretty cool! But the accel noises are not what caused me to post; the constant whine caused me to post about noise mitigation.

Has anyone on this thread driven THAT car?

Hopefully, the wide variation in reports from the test drives above indicates that the sounds I heard are unique to the individual P85D that I drove. Because, as I mentioned in my first post, this was a big enough deal to me for me to consider not ordering the car. Instead I decided to go ahead, and to 3rd party mitigate the noise after delivery.

I'm very hopeful that the 'constant' noise that I heard doesn't even exist in other cars.

I am happy to report that I took delivery on my P85D today, and it DOES NOT have the noise issue that I described above. Also, I took apart the frunk area and discovered that the front motor and the front inverter are both wrapped in a "blanket" that looks to me like it is designed for sound suppression. I have no way of knowing if the car I test drove back in December had this or not.

Whatever the reason, my car as delivered is definitely a quiet car.

I am happy to report that I took delivery on my P85D today, and it DOES NOT have the noise issue that I described above. Also, I took apart the frunk area and discovered that the front motor and the front inverter are both wrapped in a "blanket" that looks to me like it is designed for sound suppression. I have no way of knowing if the car I test drove back in December had this or not.

Whatever the reason, my car as delivered is definitely a quiet car.
I hear a whine from the front motor when just barely on power at lower cruising speeds. It fluctuates up and down as you modulate the throttle.
It is most noticeable at 70-80 kph (45-50 mph) It sounds like a soft ning, ning, ning, ning etc