Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ barely better than P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to a Tesla associate who is helping me locate a performance PLUS. He asked me why I wanted a plus and I told him that I read that it makes the handling bimmer-like, instead of the regular P85 which is Mercedes-like. He says that the steering between the two is EXACTLY the same. He said I probably drove it in "comfort" mode and not "sport" mode. For everyday driving purposes, the P85 does 90% of what the P85+ and that only hardcore trackers will notice the extra 10% difference. Is he correct? I recall owners saying it makes a huge difference in handling and steering. Thoughts?

You can get some sweet 2013 for $75k nowadays. Just missing autopilot, but that is ok since I don't mind actually paying attention when I drive.

The difference is quite noticeable. I own a P85, but had a P85+ as a loaner. The P85 feels like a big, lumbering car even though it's fast off the line. The P85+ feels like a much smaller, lighter car. It's more nimble and it feels superior in almost every way. As a result, it also feels faster.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't know about the pre April 30, 2015 P85D being better suspension than the post April 30, 2015 P85D.

I will look for a P85+ and not the regular P85. Are all the years P85+, 2013 and 2014, the suspension same set up?

This is actually a tough decision for me....
IF you discount value of AP, then I grapple with a CPO P85+ vs new 85D (a new P85D or P90D is too wide a cost difference).
I want the superior handling of the +, but with an 85D, I get the same acceleration and 90% of the handling for less cost (when state and federal tax credits are deducted). And AP (but I'm not factoring that :wink:)

This is actually a tough decision for me....
IF you discount value of AP, then I grapple with a CPO P85+ vs new 85D (a new P85D or P90D is too wide a cost difference).
I want the superior handling of the +, but with an 85D, I get the same acceleration and 90% of the handling for less cost (when state and federal tax credits are deducted). And AP (but I'm not factoring that :wink:)

Actually, the acceleration of P85+ is more powerful than 85D. It is a 50 hp difference after all, and the 85D is heavier. And as you said, handling is worse, as well as frunk volume.

I have a "+" and love it. I wanted a RWD car with as much punch as I could get and was lucky enough to place my order at just the right time to get it. They changed to the D and dropped the + a couple weeks after my delivery. I think my car handles fantastically. I drive narrow, challenging mountain roads in coastal CA every day and the car is never lacking. Yes. It is a big car. It ain't no Miata (I'm dying to get one of the new ones!). But it handles like a dream. Now, I prefer a stiffer suspension, so I may not notice any harshness. But when I drive my girl in a relaxed manner, it is smooth as silk. When I hit the go pedal and want to go crazy, she is a fire (electron) breathing monster.

For the +, it's all in then suspension/wheels and tires. If that's important to you, then keep that in mind. I do hate how fast I go through tires, but I love my 21"ers.

At first, when they discontinued the + and brought out the D, I was a little pissed. But now I realize that I have one of the very few +'s that has all the new tech. So I am OK. Perhaps a collectible! :eek:

And I must say, there is simply nothing better that punching the pedal and feeling the rear end squirm for just a sec as she figures out what I am doing and then launches me off. Yes the P85D is faster and it is fun to launch. But in reality, I basically never "floor" the car like that.

One last thing: I had a VIN 10xxx P85+ loaner last week. I assume that is a 2013 year car. The quality of my 58xxx is miles ahead, delivered as below. Very significantly quieter with the same wheel tire set up, MUCH better fit and finish.

I LOVE my RWD + and am keeping her for many years to come!

My P85D is firmer and much less wobbly than my P85+.
Don't know about post April P85Ds.

As per OP question. There's hardly any steering feel regardless of version. RWD models provide somewhat more classic experience up to the point where traction control kills all the fun (no disabling). AWD is point and go, more like a GTR. Model S is not a track car. It goes into limp mode and cuts power by half after 1,5 minutes of hard driving (see nurburgring thread and video).
I find that putting the steering into Sport mode increases steering feel significantly. perhaps it is just the increased resistance but it feels much better to me.

Actually, the acceleration of P85+ is more powerful than 85D. It is a 50 hp difference after all, and the 85D is heavier. And as you said, handling is worse, as well as frunk volume.

85D have a little more power than P85. The performance for P85 is very similar to 85D when P85 does not slip. 85D does the 1/4 mile on 12.5 sec that is the same as P85. Also 85D will do the same 0-60 time every time but the P85 need good tires, perfect weather and luck :p

On the European Tesla site the P85 was rated to 418 hp and 600nm. The 85D has 422hp and 660nm torque (44 more lb ft than P85). The P85 was later rated to 470hp motor power but I think everyone her know that Teslas motor power is ******** like the 691hp figure for P85D ;)

I have a "+" and love it. I wanted a RWD car with as much punch as I could get and was lucky enough to place my order at just the right time to get it. They changed to the D and dropped the + a couple weeks after my delivery. I think my car handles fantastically. I drive narrow, challenging mountain roads in coastal CA every day and the car is never lacking. Yes. It is a big car. It ain't no Miata (I'm dying to get one of the new ones!). But it handles like a dream. Now, I prefer a stiffer suspension, so I may not notice any harshness. But when I drive my girl in a relaxed manner, it is smooth as silk. When I hit the go pedal and want to go crazy, she is a fire (electron) breathing monster.

For the +, it's all in then suspension/wheels and tires. If that's important to you, then keep that in mind. I do hate how fast I go through tires, but I love my 21"ers.

At first, when they discontinued the + and brought out the D, I was a little pissed. But now I realize that I have one of the very few +'s that has all the new tech. So I am OK. Perhaps a collectible! :eek:

And I must say, there is simply nothing better that punching the pedal and feeling the rear end squirm for just a sec as she figures out what I am doing and then launches me off. Yes the P85D is faster and it is fun to launch. But in reality, I basically never "floor" the car like that.

One last thing: I had a VIN 10xxx P85+ loaner last week. I assume that is a 2013 year car. The quality of my 58xxx is miles ahead, delivered as below. Very significantly quieter with the same wheel tire set up, MUCH better fit and finish.

I LOVE my RWD + and am keeping her for many years to come!

CHG-ON,

When I find my grey on black P85+, should I be specific to the Vin# ? The one I have seen are P15xxx or lower. I assume that means it was an earlier 2013 version and that the later ones are better? Better as in quieter right? Anyone know what VIN# to go after in a perfect world?

AP is nice, but I have not found one in my price range. I just want to have parking sensors but some of them aren't listed as the sales associate said it became standard but I am not sure what models years are standard parking sensors.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know exactly what "bimmer" like handling is in 2015. I've owned several BMWs over the last 15 years but modern BMWs handle like a buick without ticking the sport suspension option box or moving into M models.

I guess I should have been clear. I have a hydraulic set up, before the 2015 models went to electric steering. So the 2010-2013 years........

- - - Updated - - -

I find that putting the steering into Sport mode increases steering feel significantly. perhaps it is just the increased resistance but it feels much better to me.

I did put the P85 into "sport" mode when I test drove it. Didn't feel a big difference in steering tightening up. Maybe I need to try one again.

I spoke to a Tesla associate who is helping me locate a performance PLUS. He asked me why I wanted a plus and I told him that I read that it makes the handling bimmer-like, instead of the regular P85 which is Mercedes-like. He says that the steering between the two is EXACTLY the same. He said I probably drove it in "comfort" mode and not "sport" mode. For everyday driving purposes, the P85 does 90% of what the P85+ and that only hardcore trackers will notice the extra 10% difference. Is he correct? I recall owners saying it makes a huge difference in handling and steering. Thoughts?

You can get some sweet 2013 for $75k nowadays. Just missing autopilot, but that is ok since I don't mind actually paying attention when I drive.

I just traded mine in its at Costa Mesa a P85+ with all options except 3rd row seat . My car was mid 2013 so no AP. there is diff in driving between plus an regular P85 ...btw did u come from BMW driving ? If so which one

85D have a little more power than P85. The performance for P85 is very similar to 85D when P85 does not slip. 85D does the 1/4 mile on 12.5 sec that is the same as P85. Also 85D will do the same 0-60 time every time but the P85 need good tires, perfect weather and luck :p

On the European Tesla site the P85 was rated to 418 hp and 600nm. The 85D has 422hp and 660nm torque (44 more lb ft than P85). The P85 was later rated to 470hp motor power but I think everyone her know that Teslas motor power is ******** like the 691hp figure for P85D ;)

I think 470 hp for P85 is not motor power, but actual delivered power. P85 is advertised on CPO site at 470. It was benched 430 at the wheels and that is exactly 470 minus 10% loss.
Dennis have you driven both P85 and 85D? To me and others, it is pretty clear that P85 is more powerful. The acceleration from 20 km/h to 100 is much harder. It does suffer from wheelspin though
I think the reason for 85D just being 0.3 s slower to 100 than P85, is because better traction and faster 0-20. But in higher speeds it is def slower than P85.

This 2014 model is still so expensive. I can't even tell if it has autopilot! It doesn't say AP, so I am guessing it doesn't have it.
It looks slightly darker grey than the one below.
85 kWh Performance Model S P50578 | Tesla Motors

This 2014 model is a little better priced, high miles though.
85 kWh Performance Model S P28471 | Tesla Motors
But I can't tell if it has parking sensors. No real pictures on these CPO either.

I am not sure why this one in LA is almost as expensive as the one above. For a 2013 model with more miles. Is it just location?
It has white alacantra (vs the standard). matching yacht floor and paint armor. But that shouldn't justify the price.
85 kWh Performance Model S P26722 | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
I think 470 hp for P85 is not motor power, but actual delivered power. P85 is advertised on CPO site at 470. It was benched 430 at the wheels and that is exactly 470 minus 10% loss.
It can be both motor power AND delivered power at the same time if the battery is not the bottleneck. I believe this is true of the S85 and P85, where the battery can output more power than the single motor can output.

This 2014 model is still so expensive. I can't even tell if it has autopilot! It doesn't say AP, so I am guessing it doesn't have it.
It looks slightly darker grey than the one below.
85 kWh Performance Model S P50578 | Tesla Motors

This 2014 model is a little better priced, high miles though.
85 kWh Performance Model S P28471 | Tesla Motors
But I can't tell if it has parking sensors. No real pictures on these CPO either.

I am not sure why this one in LA is almost as expensive as the one above. For a 2013 model with more miles. Is it just location?
It has white alacantra (vs the standard). matching yacht floor and paint armor. But that shouldn't justify the price.
85 kWh Performance Model S P26722 | Tesla Motors

You can see all the options for each vin on http://ev-cpo.com

When I ordered my P85+ in the first half of 2014, the parking sensors were still a separate option, and I believe it stayed that way for a little while after my build (delivery May 2014). Hopefully, the VIN consolidator will help you out there.

As for handling, as others have said, the P85+ handles extremely well, making it seem like a smaller, lighter car. This setup was noticeably better than any other demo car configuration I drove back in early 2014, and the handling was the primary reason I went with the +. Even though the newer loaners I've driven are better than the demo cars I drove in early 2014, it's still great to get back into my + again! People complain about the tire wear and staggered setup preventing rotation, but the tires are major contributors to the car's road manners, and so far mine are wearing acceptably (15k).

People complain about the tire wear and staggered setup preventing rotation, but the tires are major contributors to the car's road manners, and so far mine are wearing acceptably (15k).

I put 8.5" rims on the rear of my P85+ with 245s and have no noticeable difference in handling, so I can now rotate my tires and carry a spare tire (no rim) in the frunk.

I had my P85D in for a gasket replacement, as a loaner I received a P85+. (As a side note I've had a different Model S each time which I like). Anyhow, it just didn't compare to the P85D in my opinion. Power wise it was noticeably slower, handling wise didn't feel all that much different to me either driving on normal roads. Nothing like when I swapped out the suspension on my Corvette to coil overs.

But I guess that's why they make different cars and different models. Different strokes for different folks.

One thing for sure, we will all have to live with is that Tesla will continue making changes to the Model S, bigger batteries, longer range, faster acceleration better fit and finish.

I hope they progress super quick but it doesn't and won't change the fact I love my car regardless