Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D vs 100D - $37K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just playing around on the MB website -- I configured the S550 4MATIC with the options I would have picked for that car, and then I configured the S63 AMG with similar options. My test configurations ended up with a price of ~$139,000 for the S550 vs $172,000 for the S63 - a $33k premium. Yes, the AMG does have some minor interior/exterior differences as well as AMG suspension, hand-made engine, etc while the P100D vs 100D are very similar in construction, but the biggest difference between the two is performance. The gap in performace between the two Benzes is significantly lower than the gap between the P100D and the 100D.

I think it is commonplace for there to be significantly higher profit margins for performance cars. The extra money isn't needed for the parts/components - folks are just willing to pay more.

That being said, I am surprised the difference in price is as big as it is. I love my P100D, but if I had it to do all over again, I might have gone with the 100D... :)

I was just playing around on the MB website -- I configured the S550 4MATIC with the options I would have picked for that car, and then I configured the S63 AMG with similar options. My test configurations ended up with a price of ~$139,000 for the S550 vs $172,000 for the S63 - a $33k premium. Yes, the AMG does have some minor interior/exterior differences as well as AMG suspension, hand-made engine, etc while the P100D vs 100D are very similar in construction, but the biggest difference between the two is performance. The gap in performace between the two Benzes is significantly lower than the gap between the P100D and the 100D.

I think it is commonplace for there to be significantly higher profit margins for performance cars. The extra money isn't needed for the parts/components - folks are just willing to pay more.

That being said, I am surprised the difference in price is as big as it is. I love my P100D, but if I had it to do all over again, I might have gone with the 100D... :)

Better to have the 'P' and not need it than need the 'P' and not have it.

I rationalize all on the fence decisions with that same logic. :D

There was a 40K difference when I ordered my 90D to the P100D. Only difference was slightly better range and faster acceleration. It was not worth the 40K for me but many see it as a status symbol and maybe even some people have money to burn. I do not plan on needing 2.4 seconds to get on the highway and I am not taking it to the track so the $40k made no sense to me. Now that the 100D is $3k more than the 90D I would have taken the range for the $3k in a heartbeat but I would still not fork over $37k for the better 0-60 times.

I think Tesla is managing to piss off both 90D customers and P100D customers at the same time with the pricing on the 100D. The 100D should be more than a $3k premium over the 90D.
Battery capacity will increase and costs will decrease. Moores law. Did you get pissed off at intel when you paid 4K for your first pc and now spend 400 for one that's 100 times faster?

With this in mind...I'll certainly only order a M3100_ when my reservation hits...
I'll have one quick car and one inexpexpensive car....
After a year of driving it, I still can't get over the acceleration of the P90D off the line and passing in traffic...
The P100D must be awesome...
What's your definition of quick? For now we can all speculate, but the only number we've been given officially is 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Tesla has a goal, but it's very possible they will save the best of the best for the upper trims.

I think you should really look into the details of am AMG versus non-AMG... When you make that comparison versus Tesla, it honestly makes Tesla seem cheap. I've had an AMG and non AMG and now have the X, love them all.

I ordered a P100D in mid-December with a late February-March delivery window. With the 100D announced this week, it seems that the only differences are the option for ventilated seats, faster acceleration, slightly less range, and lifetime supercharging. The price for this premium is $37K.

Am I missing anything? Ventilated seats are nice, but it seems like it would take a lot of cross country driving to justify $37K for unlimited charging and faster acceleration. What I'm struggling with is whether I should cancel the P100D and order a 100D instead, even though it seems to mean the loss of the $2500. I knew the 100D would cost less, but not THIS much less...
If you know the pricing history of Tesla, most people were expecting $30k difference between 100D and the P100D (Performance model used to cost extra $20k, and then Ludicrous cost an extra $10k). So 30k is not a huge departure from the $37k. The 37k difference is understandable considering the P100D now has Ludicrous Plus.

Last edited:
I'm all about the speed and $37k is really too much, I am changing my X P100D order to a 100D....

a very fast Sedan is one thing, but an SUV @ $163k?
While your Lambo costs $8k dollars to switch the rear windshield from hard plastic to all-glass, and something like $10k to add a few logo and stitching here and there... ;-)

Last edited:
rip off for sure, also starts at 3x the Tesla and is carbon fiber and hand made stitching.... :)

It's ~40% on top of the X MSRP of 90D to go faster....

anyway, I have no problem paying for it on the S, but not the X, it's just too big and heavy....

While your Lambo costs $8k dollars to switch the rear windshield from hard plastic to all-glass, and something like $10k to add a few logo and stitching here and there... ;-)

rip off for sure, also starts at 3x the Tesla and is carbon fiber and hand made stitching.... :)

It's ~40% on top of the X MSRP of 90D to go faster....

anyway, I have no problem paying for it on the S, but not the X, it's just too big and heavy....
haha, cool. Glad that you are upgrading your model X, I am sure the 100D's extra range will help a lot in long road trip.

Can someone chime in on this. I understand that the p100d has more passing power as well as the infamous 0-60 times. I believe you get the benefit of increased acceleration anytime you need it, specifically say the 40-70mph range. Thanks.

Can someone chime in on this. I understand that the p100d has more passing power as well as the infamous 0-60 times. I believe you get the benefit of increased acceleration anytime you need it, specifically say the 40-70mph range. Thanks.
Tesla website clearly states 1.4 second for 45 to 65 mph passing. For Model S P100D, the same metric is at 1.2 second.

source: Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla

I think you should really look into the details of am AMG versus non-AMG... When you make that comparison versus Tesla, it honestly makes Tesla seem cheap. I've had an AMG and non AMG and now have the X, love them all.

great point.

a 2017 MB GLS550 starts at $94k.
a 2017 MB GLS63AMG starts at $124k.

$30k difference. for an additional 128hp and 45lb-ft torque. i'm pretty sure the power step up from the 100D to the P100D is more than that.

I'm all about the speed and $37k is really too much, I am changing my X P100D order to a 100D....

a very fast Sedan is one thing, but an SUV @ $163k?

yes but consider your garage, dude. of course you can "get by" with a mere 100D for you X. because if you're feeling the itch to go fast, you can step into your Ferrari. or McLaren 650. or Tesla Model S P100D. or Ford GT. or god knows what else you have available to you.

but for us regular folks with garages totaling UNDER $1million, making your family-hauling SUV into a supercar-like rocket for $37k is quite an appealing (and dare i say, value-packed) option.

AMG also includes a lot of other items for the $$, more standard features, different wheels, bodywork, etc...

great point.

a 2017 MB GLS550 starts at $94k.
a 2017 MB GLS63AMG starts at $124k.

$30k difference. for an additional 128hp and 45lb-ft torque. i'm pretty sure the power step up from the 100D to the P100D is more than that.

good point... I think we could get a X P100D into the 10's... or very close, that would be awesome...

yes but consider your garage, dude. of course you can "get by" with a mere 100D for you X. because if you're feeling the itch to go fast, you can step into your Ferrari. or McLaren 650. or Tesla Model S P100D. or Ford GT. or god knows what else you have available to you.

but for us regular folks with garages totaling UNDER $1million, making your family-hauling SUV into a supercar-like rocket for $37k is quite an appealing (and dare i say, value-packed) option.

I can only compare apples and oranges (90D vs. P100DL), but the 0-30mph in both clobbered most any car, and that's what I use most to get outta peoples way. Now the improved 40-70mph (for passing) in my new setup is very obvious, but I can't quantify anything. I touch the L mode setting only when I think it will be helpful in situations.