Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTR service station EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1688616937389.png

Site works for the industrial park for where the Yass OTR service centre will go have completed. I think this means that construction of the service centre is able to start now.

Coles Express will begin to disappear from local petrol stations next month if fuel producer and retailer Viva Energy gains approval from the competition watchdog for its merger with On The Run, an upstart quick-service restaurant and convenience brand.

The fuel refiner is rapidly building a network of convenience fuel stores, occupying prime real estate nationwide, that it intends to rebrand under the OTR model. It also plans to roll out fast electric charge stations to diversify and future-proof its business against declining fossil fuel sales.

Petrol station shake-up: Goodbye Coles Express, hello OTR

This is also great 😊 👍
So OTR is everywhere in SA, and have been for a very long time. The parent company also has the licence for krispy kream donuts in SA. The servo’s all sell seriously overpriced grocery staples, barista coffee (in fairness its quite good) and many then have a fresh bakery, or a fresh asian noodle shop, or subway. They now all sell the donuts. Did I mention how overpriced they are? If there is a supermarket next door go there and buy the same water for half the price.

This will be great for those small country towns in Victoria. Theres large sections across regional Victoria with no chargers but they have Coles Express and I am keen to see chargers in these locations soon (fingers crossed).
The original thread here was about OTRs foray into EV charging. With the change of ownership to Shell I would expect any existing or new build OTR EV charging will end up being Shell Recharge branded charging.

As to whether a particular region Shell will get an EV charger upgrade will be up to the pace at which Shell will roll out their charging which may also depend on individual franchise arrangements. Most of the current BP rollout, for example, has been only the company owned sites with the exception of one or two which are run by the same franchisee.

So I would not be banking on your local rebranded Coles Express suddenly having EV charging.

Reactions: dronus and paulp
There is still another month until the date that the ACCC estimate that they will release their ruling on whether the sale can proceed.

21 Sep 2023 Provisional date for announcement of ACCC’s findings (as outlined in the Informal Merger Review Process Guidelines, this may be a final decision or release of a Statement of Issues).

And even that might not be the final word on the sale. Viva(Shell) is also currently suggesting to the ACCC that they will sell off "23 of its 32 retail fuel and convenience sites in Adelaide"

Reactions: AussieOwner
Did I mention how overpriced they are
The business model of servos is that profit is not made from fuel but from the "convenience" price of the other goods it sells.
Maybe same for EV charging?

I am still amazed though that at my local 11-Seven, people still buy convenience stuff they can also get at the Coles for a lot cheaper just a short walk up the adjacent parking lot.

Reactions: Midnight Man
Within the last 2 hours or so 8 Melbourne based Shell/Coles express/OTR listed sites have been added to plugshare as coming soon in 2024,

These were added by 'South Melbourne EV Club'. Not sure what the source of this information is.
They've been adding more down the bay, there are now several showing around the Frankston area.

They're not doing every existing Coles Express so maybe they have some inside knowledge?

As an Uber Eats driver, I can attest to that.
At least once a week I pick up the food and just walk to to the house rather than drive.
This morning I picked up Maccas and walked it 4 houses up.
I used to be flabbergasted by that sort of thing, then I realised that some people have good reasons for not being able to leave the house, and delivery services are a boon to them regardless of the distance involved. But there's also the lazy ones...

More on topic, I see several OTRs on the surf coast (Anglesea, Lorne etc) are marked as chargers coming by June 2024 as well. No idea if it's authoritative.

There is still another month until the date that the ACCC estimate that they will release their ruling on whether the sale can proceed.

21 Sep 2023 Provisional date for announcement of ACCC’s findings (as outlined in the Informal Merger Review Process Guidelines, this may be a final decision or release of a Statement of Issues).

And even that might not be the final word on the sale. Viva(Shell) is also currently suggesting to the ACCC that they will sell off "23 of its 32 retail fuel and convenience sites in Adelaide"
Screenshot_20230922-061200.png

Merger decision delayed.

Reactions: B3AU

"The refiner expects about 80 per cent of its network to be branded OTR by 2029. The remainder, mostly small footprint stores that can’t be easily converted, with trade as Reddy Express – a brand it launched in September."
"Although the company’s stores currently have few existing electric charge points, they will be rolled out in parallel with its rebranding effort over the next five years. “Expect to see more and more charging stations arriving at convenience stores over time,” Wyatt says."

Viva still waiting on regularity approval for the OTR purchase. Assume these chargers would be labelled/branded Shell Recharge over OTR even if the sale goes through, though article does not mention charger branding.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok