Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OSS and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I consider exactly those scenarios. I said that the law would allow Tesla to copy only the exact version that was included on the hardware when shipped by the supplier (assuming the supplier is complying with the GPL and thus the version on the hardware when received by Tesla is licensed). The law doesn't permit Tesla to take a different version of the software and copy it on the hardware just because they are repairing it. That's the entirely purpose of the language in the law that I highlighted in my previous post.

I'm giving several different examples of reasons why Tesla may not be required to distribute source code directly; I'm not saying that's what they're definitively doing. My initial post this morning (which I'm beginning to regret ever posting) was simply to point out that no one here has posted a shred of credible proof that Tesla has violated the license. There have only been assumptions made about how Tesla manages the code.

We know that Tesla is using Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 systems. Linux for Tegra as provided by nVidia is located here:
Linux For Tegra Archive

nVidia is their supplier. nVidia is publishing the source code to the kernel. They also publish binaries.

Perfect. So, just like the AT&T/Samsung mobile phone case, nVidia supplied the hardware+software unit to Tesla and is responsible for offering the source code. They have done so. So... what's the concern with the license again? I'm confused.

From what I've heard about Tesla they are very inclined to do as much as they possible can do in house.

It's not about what you've heard, or assumptions made based upon how Linux is used elsewhere. It's not about how you find something "almost impossible", because that's not proof and wouldn't stand up. When someone provides credible proof that Tesla is responsible for the operating system code, then I'll agree with you. Until then, there are still several very plausible cases in which Tesla would not be responsible for distributing source code per the GPL.

And now, as we seem to be circling again, I'll just simply take leave and let this thread return to the Tesla bash fest full of assumptions about Tesla's handling of source code. :)

I'm giving several different examples of reasons why Tesla may not be required to distribute source code directly; I'm not saying that's what they're definitively doing. My initial post this morning (which I'm beginning to regret ever posting) was simply to point out that no one here has posted a shred of credible proof that Tesla has violated the license. There have only been assumptions made about how Tesla manages the code.

Look you're thinking up all sorts of very unusual situations to find reasons why Tesla might not be violating the license. You're also trying to twist the law to say things it doesn't (particularly the maintenance and repair clause). You're working from the presumption that they aren't unless you have definitive evidence that they are. Not even someone pulling a copy of the firmware and finding that the Linux Kernel is indeed in use is sufficient for you because you want to find a way for Tesla not to be wrong. I'm also inclined to believe there is an awful lot of "I said something and now I really don't want to be wrong." Basically I think the only thing that will change your mind is if someone actually sues Tesla and wins.

I'm looking at a reasonable interpretation of the information we have. I think the scenarios that you are coming up with are unlikely. I find your interpretation of the law to be inconsistent with my understanding of it and the relevant case law. I'm not inclined to just presume that Tesla is doing the right thing. I have this opinion because I've seen Tesla do things that are not the right thing. I've pointed them out, and at least in my case Tesla has resolved the situation. I give them a lot of credit in that respect. But my bubble that Tesla can do wrong most certainly has been busted after I bought the first car with them. So in my opinion I take a more nuanced approach to what they are doing. In this particular case I think it is likely they are violating the license. That disappoints me, but I'm also not feeling terribly damaged by it so I'm not hassling Tesla about it.

In a court of law Tesla would indeed have the presumption of innocence. But I'm not obligated to give them that in my opinion and discussion on a public forum (the veritable court of public opinion). At the same point if this was a court of law the Plaintiff would have discovery and would have the opportunity to require Tesla to turn over their source, object code and procedures to find out for sure. You could in that case get a great deal more proof than we have.

But we don't have that level of authority to find out for sure. So your effort to demand absolute proof in my opinion is just an effort to shut down the conversation. Create an impossible to reach standard and claim that everyone that can't reach it should shut up. I don't tend to think that sort of standard should prevail on a discussion forum. Applying the same standard to every other discussion would mean that we can't possibly have a discussion. So much of what we talk about includes a healthy dose of speculation and effort to apply logic to the scenario.

I've tried to have a reasonable conversation with you about this. I've tried to entertain your notions of what Tesla could be doing to be shipping the Linux Kernel without violating the GPLv2. But I've found that the substantive points of my responses are ignored and you simply repeat your argument. Given your statement about regretting your initial post I suspect you're looking for a way out of this conversation, but just can't stand to lose.

So consider this post an admission that I can't prove to a degree that will satisfy you that Tesla is violating the license.

Look you won. Now you can go back to whatever it is you wanted to be doing right now instead.

duty_calls.png

Remember when linksys wouldn't release their linux mods for years? Eventually they gave in. They probably thought they were protecting their proprietary work and didn't want to release the sources. It looks like this went on from about 2003 to 2009. Here's a typical article (cisco bought linksys) - Cisco settles GPL lawsuit with FSF - InternetNews:The Blog - Sean Kerner - InternetNews.

This is going to be like Linksys, probably Tesla doesn't want to release their mods because they want to protect their proprietary hardware systems from people modding the car, and also want to make it harder to hack into someone else's car. It's virtually certain they used linux.

Considering that the Linux kernel is subject to GPLv2 and not GPLv3, your approach to analysis is DOA.

The "COPYING" file associated with the kernel reads the following (it's the original GPL v2, for all intent and purposes):

Section 3 is the only section applicable for unmodified source.
)
nope. Section 1 is also about unmodified source.

And one more thing.
arguing about US law is somewhat irrelevant unless you look up all the laws regarding this in all the countries the car is sold in...