Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organize your UMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European version works perfectly with garden tools hook :

eqedenuz.jpg

I've always wanted some sort of enclosure for the umc so i can securely bolt it to the wall to avoid theft, since I park in a carport. Anyone seen that sort of thing? Otherwise I will continue to plug/unplug it every day.

Have a look at the photos of my setup - reply #15 of this thread --> Anti-theft solutions for UMC in public garage? - Page 2

- - - Updated - - -

The issue I've always had with letting the UMC "Body" dangle has been more with the stress it puts on the interface between UMC cable-plug and the adapter that fits in to it. That interface has had issues in the past (hence the adapter replacement program), and the pins in there are only barely adequate for the current[1].

Leaving that weight unsupported increases the likelihood of stress on that interface and some unwelcome play developing there. It's one of the reasons I carry a couple of velcro straps and a small bungie in my UMC case.. I've used them to support the UMC a couple of times on trips. Not to mention they serve double-duty in allowing for a tidy UMC cable when you coil it up.

[1] In my opinion, and that if a number of other folks here...o

I would think that shouldn't be a problem. The adapter clicks into place with a mechanical "switch", and the only way to remove the adapter is by pressing the button to release it. As long as the outlet is installed such that the plug's stress relief angles straight down, all mechanical stress will be on that switch. So I don't anticipate any stress going through to conductors and connectors.

Here's my set-up using a simple hose reel for storage (see no need to plug the end into something while stored). The weight/strain of the UMC is handled adequately with a bungee cord wrapped around it and pulled taut to its anchoring at the wire conduit. The cover of the 14-50 outlet provides additional leverage on the bungee cord to direct its force properly.

DSC_0803.jpg
DSC_0804.jpg

I would think that shouldn't be a problem. The adapter clicks into place with a mechanical "switch", and the only way to remove the adapter is by pressing the button to release it. As long as the outlet is installed such that the plug's stress relief angles straight down, all mechanical stress will be on that switch. So I don't anticipate any stress going through to conductors and connectors.

One would hope so, but with the issues that have already been experienced with that interface, and my own experience on how the weight affects it, it appears that's not the case.

OK, you guys convinced me to stop letting the module hang by the plug. I had an extra one of those hooks from a tool-hanger system lying around so I used that. The first pic shows how I used to have it (you can see that I already installed the hook on the wall behind it). The second pic shows it in the hook with some slack so it is no longer hanging by the plug. Pretty easy.

IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG

Just a thought, but I'd recommend a different approach there, having the cord draped across the stairwell like that seems to be asking for trouble. I'd probably have it run under a cover of some form to a hanger on the side of the stairs closer to the car... (actually I've posted elsewhere what I would do, but not everyone agrees, I'd have the wire go up to the ceiling, and dangle right beside the charge port on the car so that you never need to touch the coil, just open charge door and plug in, when you leave just unplug and let dangle...)

i ordered the UMC cable organizer as well for $25 from tesla (along with all weather frunk/trunk mats and parcel shelf), and i have that bracket from quickchargepower.com. i've had some issues w/ the quickcharge bracket, so i had to make some slight modifications to it, but i like it and it makes me feel better about not having strain on the socket from the brick weight.

80-photo_4_06d3ab883569a2ff658ab428fece33b5ffbe7f47.jpg

80-photo_aa3c9e90971013f99251d0ba1d2b9d01b47a134e.jpg

I went a bit lower end with this hook from a HW store:
img_2450.jpg

Mounted at the right height the UMC box sits on it (taking strain of the NEMA 14-50 plug) and still has plenty of room for the cord:
img_2449.jpg

Has worked well and my garage isn't as pristine as some of the others I see here. The bracket was $3.

Just a thought, but I'd recommend a different approach there, having the cord draped across the stairwell like that seems to be asking for trouble. I'd probably have it run under a cover of some form to a hanger on the side of the stairs closer to the car... (actually I've posted elsewhere what I would do, but not everyone agrees, I'd have the wire go up to the ceiling, and dangle right beside the charge port on the car so that you never need to touch the coil, just open charge door and plug in, when you leave just unplug and let dangle...)

Understood--only me in garage, not an active stairway (storage upstairs).

- - - Updated - - -

I thinking having no rail on the stairs is more dangerous. At least if you trip on the cable, you're already at the bottom of the stairs.

No handrail is indeed risky...limited use to access attic storage.

It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop....

This thread inspired me to relieve the weight from the plug while also learning more about 3D printing. I liked the idea of the bracket shown in wamochi's post above, but it appeared a bit flimsy / cheap (at least in the photo). So, I borrowed my son's 3D printer and then things got out of hand . . .

First attempt at a 3D-printed bracket was probably my best, but it took 11 hours to print and did not clean up well (very difficult to remove the raft at bottom). So I tried a bunch of times to adjust the printer settings (not the design) to reduce both print time and make it easier to remove the raft. In the process I discovered that while lower fill % reduces print time, it also made the part weaker. I also learned that no printer setting I tried made the raft easier to remove. So I changed the design slightly at the bottom and went back to the original printer settings. This resulted in a clean looking and usable part.

By the way, I did send an inquiry to Tesla asking if mounting the controller in a bracket was OK (concerned about reducing its ability to stay cool vs. just free-hanging), but no reply. I made the design more "breathable" but have not measured controller temperature in and out of the bracket. Still wonder if Tesla would recommend free-hanging with the added weight on the plug, using a bracket such as this to relieve the weight but reduce cooling, or some other solution. Maybe someday they will reply. :confused:

Attached are some photos of the journey, so if you have a 3D printer, you may be inspired as well. It was a fun little diversion.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.png

Picture3.jpg