Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organize your UMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a package of utility hooks hidden away, not very sophisticated but it only took 30 seconds
IMG_0850.jpg

Reactions: fallen888
i ordered the UMC cable organizer as well for $25 from tesla (along with all weather frunk/trunk mats and parcel shelf), and i have that bracket from quickchargepower.com. i've had some issues w/ the quickcharge bracket, so i had to make some slight modifications to it, but i like it and it makes me feel better about not having strain on the socket from the brick weight.

I'm having issues with it, too. The UMC simply does not stay in the bracket. It falls out about an hour later. I thought it was the Phoenix heat and the outdoor mount (I don't have a garage).

What modifications have you made? Just curious. I want to get the thing to work.

I'm having issues with it, too. The UMC simply does not stay in the bracket. It falls out about an hour later. I thought it was the Phoenix heat and the outdoor mount (I don't have a garage).

What modifications have you made? Just curious. I want to get the thing to work.

so what i did was this: purchased some plastic shims from local hardware store, about 40c each. bought two of them. attached it to the inside of each "arm" bracket, and then used black electrical tape to tape it in there, wrapping the tape around the whole bracket while i'm at it to make it black. the additional space in between the arms is tight enough now that the brick won't slip. i have had to recharge about 80-90 mi (almost 3 hrs charge @ 40AMP) a few times recently and the brick has stayed put. i'll try to take some pics of it later, but it basically looks the same except it's black. the shims fit on the inside and keep the brick from sliding down and thru the bracket arms.

my guess is that when the arms got warm from charging more than 1 hr, the brick managed to slip through and was hanging the next morning. the shims so far have done the trick. i have never exceeded 80-90 miles of charge overnight so i don't know how it would hold up if you did 3+ hrs of charging ...

BTW quickchargepower.com owner was great and refunded all the money. he said he hadn't heard of that problem, but i am glad it's not just me! i live in San Diego so it's not that hot, but the garage does get in the upper 80's-90's for sure.

@wamochi -

Great tip! Thanks. I had tried some outdoor mounting tape, but I quickly learned that's not going to do any good when the distance between the arms becomes too great.

I had some leftover plastic shims from an old flooring installation and I just happened to have some black duct tape in my tool box. The UMC now looks tight and secure! But I will double check in the AM.

Good to know Tony took care of you! I know him from our days as LEAF owners. He's a really good guy.

Thanks again for the tip!

P. S. I'm a bit envious of your 11.76 PV system in San Diego. I think Phoenix gets more sun, but PV panels lose efficiency in this extreme heat. San Diego has a much more ideal climate for solar production. I imagine you're driving entirely off the sun with a system that size. I'm actually close too 100% offset with my 6.867 kW system, but I think the two EV's put my usage over the top a bit. I'll know better when I have a year of data.

OP here... @UberEV1 kind enough to send me his discard 3D printed UMC holder, so I've re-posted my UPDATED AND IMPROVED rig at top of thread!

@tomas: Thanks for posting the updated pictures - looks great! I guess we should have looked at your wall a bit more closely before sending the drywall screws. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

To Uberev1
I like it
I see A little side Business here if you are willing to put a price on it
to build it and we will buy. come up with a price and we can talk.

@Great Dane: Thank you for the encouragement! Several others have suggested the same, so my son has set this up as a project and it is now posted in the Classifieds. If you're interested, we would be happy to send you one.

Here is my solution for holding UMC on the wall - bicycle water bottle holder.

DSC02709.JPG

DSC02707.JPG

It holds the UMC securely and allows for air circulation around UMC to help dissipate heat. I hang the cable on another hook on the wall although I am considering replacing that hook with the UMC cable organizer from Tesla.

DSC02712.JPG

+1 for the bicycle water bottle holder. Happen to have one lying around. A perfect "no cost" solution. Thanks!

Here is my solution for holding UMC on the wall - bicycle water bottle holder.

It holds the UMC securely and allows for air circulation around UMC to help dissipate heat. I hang the cable on another hook on the wall although I am considering replacing that hook with the UMC cable organizer from Tesla.