Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Wall Connector Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some are saying that putting in a breaker smaller than 60A avoids this requirement, but what about the 150 volts-to-ground stipulation? Seems that any 240V permanently wired equipment would need the disconnect, regardless of amperage.
No disconnect needed. The 150V volts to ground means each 'hot' wire in turn measured against ground. For your 240V circuit it will be 120V on eaxh leg

No disconnect needed. The 150V volts to ground means each 'hot' wire in turn measured against ground. For your 240V circuit it will be 120V on eaxh leg
That's the first good Tesla-related news I've heard all day! :)

(Drama getting the delivery scheduled for tomorrow.)

Now I have to clear out a space next to the service panel and on the wall where the charger will be mounted. I REALLY need to clear out my garage...

Thanks for all the information. I've run large gauge cables before, but not in such a tight spot (I used to build race cars and relocating batteries and installing the cables for them was a massive pain in the butt until I discovered welding cable!) I'm not too worried about 4# wires.

THe 14-50 outlet will probably never see anywhere near 500 insertions before I get a wall charger It's a temporary solution until after the first of the year, when The Wife will be much more understanding about spending $400+ on "something else for the new car!" (I absolutely want the mobile charger regardless of wether I have a wall charger or not. It'll stay with the car.)

As for the NEC map above, that's great information, but I also checked with the city. They just adopted the 2013 NEC code on September 1st, so I have to abide by that instead. (Buddy is an electrician out of state and reminded me that while the state goes by one code, municipalities can adopt a newer standard. Gotta keep the inspector happy!)

If you are using the mobile connector for level 2 and the 14-50 you'll need a GFCI breaker.
I have a 50A Homeline Square D for sale if you are interested.
Thanks but I've already got one from a previous project.

However, as the OP of this thread and someone who went down the same path, it's cheaper and faster charging to leave the mobile connector in your car and install a wall connector.
That's the long-term plan. The 14-50 will come out and the wall charger will go in after the holidays.

That's the long-term plan. The 14-50 will come out and the wall charger will go in after the holidays.
In which case.. Don't know if you said this before, but use the correct wire and gauge to support 65A on the initial install, rather than 55A. Then, when the wall connector goes in later, you can swap the 50A breaker for a 60A breaker and get 48A charging!

Reactions: gt40mkii

You are going to install a 14-50 then a Wall connector in a couple months? I would just run 6/2MC and connect a wall connector from the get go. You can get TWC from Best Buy too. Then you can skip the more expensive wire, and the gfci breaker, 14-50 receptacle, etc.

Reactions: SageBrush