Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I see another problem with trying to get the $2,500 EV rebate for my state beginning April 3rd. The rules state that the vehicle must have an MSRP less than $50k. Well, I wanted the 7-seater with tow hitch, which has an MSRP above $50k. My interpretation is that even if I pay less than $50k, I don't get the rebate because the MSRP is above $50k.

If I want the rebate, the highest optioned car I could get is the LR with tow hitch and a "free" color. At that point, I'd rather just get the cheapest RWD I could find with tow hitch, but alas, none in inventory. Looks like I'll probably be looking for deals next month, and hopefully there are some to be had.

add a tow hitch later for $1.5K

Reactions: ucmndd
add a tow hitch later for $1.5K

The RWD were only discounted 5% compared with the 7-seat LR AWD with tow hitch at 10% off...

I reserved the one on the lot, which happened to be white with black interior, not that I care about color.

Never bought a new car before, and at ~$40k when everything is said and done, is about how much I've paid for a motorcycle, 2 cars, and a diesel pickup.

Not expecting the state rebate, but I'll try anyhow.

Pickup complete. Very easy process at the Peabody, MA location. They were super busy today, I asked and they were delivering 70 cars today.View attachment 1033723

Nice! I wandered over to the nearest Tesla center and put a deposit down on the same color. No idea if banks will process payment tomorrow, so I may or may not get the 5000 charging miles.

Reactions: vickh
I ordered a black/black MYP today. Just submitted the photos for trade in, waiting for confirmation of the trade in offer now. Appointment scheduled for tomorrow. I suspect it’s going to be a crazy day at the delivery center. The price just seemed to good to pass up, along with transfer of FSD, 10,000 loyalty points, paint credit, 5,000 supercharger miles. Total impulse purchase but what the heck.

Reactions: Taney71 and vickh
I picked up my MY 7 seater on Friday. Easy process with trade and transfer. The only thing is I had to sign up for premium connectivity before the year subscription would carry over and I already paid for a year for my the 3 I traded in. Acceleration boost added before leaving the Tesla lot.

The middle row on the drivers side won’t release to allow third row access, Service is scheduled after ppf and tint for this Friday.

Reactions: vickh
Insanely easy and no-pressure process. I think if I had decided straight away to buy a Tesla, the entire process from ordering online to taking delivery would take an hour or less. Ordering maybe 30 minutes, and delivery was about a 15 minute process.

You can't spend less time than that with traditional car salesmen saying your absurd request to pay less than sticker price has to be considered by God himself, and he'll be angry you're even asking. They'll then spend that time talking about what a sucker you are, and how they will extract more than your requested discount.

Insanely easy and no-pressure process. I think if I had decided straight away to buy a Tesla, the entire process from ordering online to taking delivery would take an hour or less. Ordering maybe 30 minutes, and delivery was about a 15 minute process.

You can't spend less time than that with traditional car salesmen saying your absurd request to pay less than sticker price has to be considered by God himself, and he'll be angry you're even asking. They'll then spend that time talking about what a sucker you are, and how they will extract more than your requested discount.
Agreed. Not having to deal with the sales agent, finance guy, and dealership manager when buying a car is great.

Reactions: Skavatar
Just a quick update on our experience: We took delivery of our new 2024 Model Y LR in Stealth Gray on White Saturday. Our process wasn't quite as smooth as others, part of that was on us and part was on Tesla.

The Tesla issue is an easily addressable one, if they actually cared. Something tells me that they don't other than it really bogged things down on their end for deliveries. Our Sales Associate told us that they started the morning with 50 deliveries scheduled and by about lunch time that number had already climbed to 72 with many more projected to come in that day still. The number of Tesla employees to process that number of deliveries was incredibly low. I seriously doubt the total number of customer-facing Tesla reps was in the double digits.

That wasn't our issue but it did create audible issues around us. Our issue was a simple requirement on Tesla's end: the proof of insurance stipulations. They want the new VIN to show ON your policy (even though you get 30 days coverage automatically to add new vehicles anyway) and on top of that the policy HAD to be valid day-of-delivery and then for a full 60 days. I can understand this for those financing or leasing as they still have an interest in that asset after the sale.

In our case, we were paying cash. Once they have funds, their interest in the vehicle ends other than making sure they get us title work in a timely fashion. Other than that, they interest in what we do with the asset is of zero concern. In our case, we have all of our vehicles on the same insurance policy as our home and other items that is on a 6-month policy. It just so happens that ours renews on the 10th of next month so less than the 60 days they specified.

Since they had so few people this little issue created a nightmare of touches by no less than 6 different people that day. It delayed things dramatically and cost lots of time Tesla can't afford on that day. They need to make a simple tweak to their requirements so that those paying cash just need to show valid proof of insurance. No other stipulations as these are unnecessary and cost us and Tesla lots of lost time. It negatively impacted our experience but was even more impactful to Tesla's day, given how backed up they were. Fix this Tesla.

There was also a glitch with the app where it wasn't properly processing payment via attached bank accounts w/o any explanation as to why. Everyone on-site was dumbfounded by it and, once again, it required several people and lots of time for them just to be able to take my money. Another item that Tesla needs to address in order to make this process run smoother for both customer and Tesla alike.

As for trade, I can confirm that the estimate they gave me ($31,500 for a 2023 MYLR blue on white w/20k miles) was actually increased $200 the day-of. Not sure why but I also wasn't going to argue either. I wasn't able to 100% confirm this amount through the entire process as we literally sold our 2023 MYLR at the time of delivery of our 2024 via private party for a couple of grand more (net total w/lost taxable savings factored in) than Tesla was going to give us. This was the figure on the paperwork so I'm 99.9999% sure it would have carried through the entire delivery process. Just to provide that data point for others.

Summary: upgraded to a year newer MYLR in a new color (wife loves it, says it's more her "style" to which I replied that I didn't know she had style. lol) and we basically reset the odometer to zero as well as get a full warranty back plus got paid a few grand. Not to shabby.

Reactions: Taney71
They need to make a simple tweak to their requirements so that those paying cash just need to show valid proof of insurance. No other stipulations as these are unnecessary and cost us and Tesla lots of lost time. It negatively impacted our experience but was even more impactful to Tesla's day, given how backed up they were. Fix this Tesla.
I wonder if there are differing requirements for this in different states. I’ve never had to provide an insurance policy with the VIN of the actual car I was buying, with Tesla or anyone else. We most recently picked up a new Model Y just a few weeks ago. Cash or financing, didn’t matter.

I uploaded a copy of our insurance card from one of our other vehicles to the app and that was it. Was never asked about it again.

Just a quick update on our experience: We took delivery of our new 2024 Model Y LR in Stealth Gray on White Saturday. Our process wasn't quite as smooth as others, part of that was on us and part was on Tesla.

The Tesla issue is an easily addressable one, if they actually cared. Something tells me that they don't other than it really bogged things down on their end for deliveries. Our Sales Associate told us that they started the morning with 50 deliveries scheduled and by about lunch time that number had already climbed to 72 with many more projected to come in that day still. The number of Tesla employees to process that number of deliveries was incredibly low. I seriously doubt the total number of customer-facing Tesla reps was in the double digits.

That wasn't our issue but it did create audible issues around us. Our issue was a simple requirement on Tesla's end: the proof of insurance stipulations. They want the new VIN to show ON your policy (even though you get 30 days coverage automatically to add new vehicles anyway) and on top of that the policy HAD to be valid day-of-delivery and then for a full 60 days. I can understand this for those financing or leasing as they still have an interest in that asset after the sale.

In our case, we were paying cash. Once they have funds, their interest in the vehicle ends other than making sure they get us title work in a timely fashion. Other than that, they interest in what we do with the asset is of zero concern. In our case, we have all of our vehicles on the same insurance policy as our home and other items that is on a 6-month policy. It just so happens that ours renews on the 10th of next month so less than the 60 days they specified.

Since they had so few people this little issue created a nightmare of touches by no less than 6 different people that day. It delayed things dramatically and cost lots of time Tesla can't afford on that day. They need to make a simple tweak to their requirements so that those paying cash just need to show valid proof of insurance. No other stipulations as these are unnecessary and cost us and Tesla lots of lost time. It negatively impacted our experience but was even more impactful to Tesla's day, given how backed up they were. Fix this Tesla.

There was also a glitch with the app where it wasn't properly processing payment via attached bank accounts w/o any explanation as to why. Everyone on-site was dumbfounded by it and, once again, it required several people and lots of time for them just to be able to take my money. Another item that Tesla needs to address in order to make this process run smoother for both customer and Tesla alike.

As for trade, I can confirm that the estimate they gave me ($31,500 for a 2023 MYLR blue on white w/20k miles) was actually increased $200 the day-of. Not sure why but I also wasn't going to argue either. I wasn't able to 100% confirm this amount through the entire process as we literally sold our 2023 MYLR at the time of delivery of our 2024 via private party for a couple of grand more (net total w/lost taxable savings factored in) than Tesla was going to give us. This was the figure on the paperwork so I'm 99.9999% sure it would have carried through the entire delivery process. Just to provide that data point for others.

Summary: upgraded to a year newer MYLR in a new color (wife loves it, says it's more her "style" to which I replied that I didn't know she had style. lol) and we basically reset the odometer to zero as well as get a full warranty back plus got paid a few grand. Not to shabby.
Thanks for the summary. I'm glad your wife likes the new car. Strange that the app didn't initially work for the payment. Mine was fine but I did it in the middle of last week.

The insurance requirement had me revisit my current insurance premium, which had crept to astronomical levels. Geico quoted something like 4x more to insure the Model Y than Tesla's offer. I appreciated the ability to tweak coverage and see how it impacted the premium. Normally I don't get roadside assistance because I never need it, but adding that was something like 30 cents extra per month. $95/month for full coverage and roadside seems quite reasonable to me. It's also the first time I've opted for more than the legal minimum liability coverage, since the extra cost was barely anything; maybe a couple bucks a month.

What is unreasonable is Geico is billing me the same amount for my 2006 Acura that gets driven maybe 10 times per year, for liability only coverage.

I assume Tesla plays the same rate creep game everyone else does. You supposedly get a "loyalty" discount, but your reward for being lazy is paying a lot more than some Shmoe who is a new customer.

The insurance requirement is a bit finicky for sure. I was able to retrieve the VIN the morning of my delivery and call it in to my insurance company. They took down all of the information and gave me the pricing and told me to just call back once I’m ready to drive off the lot and confirm I want to bind coverage. But even before doing that they voluntarily sent me an ID card showing coverage so that I could present it to Tesla. I think they have gone through quite a few Tesla deliveries and knew in advance I would need it.

My delivery was very smooth. No issues with the car and the folks in Burbank were fantastic. Only bummer was my super clean car got rained on while driving home.

Reactions: Skavatar
The insurance requirement is a bit finicky for sure. I was able to retrieve the VIN the morning of my delivery and call it in to my insurance company. They took down all of the information and gave me the pricing and told me to just call back once I’m ready to drive off the lot and confirm I want to bind coverage. But even before doing that they voluntarily sent me an ID card showing coverage so that I could present it to Tesla. I think they have gone through quite a few Tesla deliveries and knew in advance I would need it.

My delivery was very smooth. No issues with the car and the folks in Burbank were fantastic. Only bummer was my super clean car got rained on while driving home.
What you describe is basically what we did. Hell, we've even paid our next 6-months premium in advance even though it doesn't expire until the 10th. The issue is that I can get a current card even with the VIN but not a future card because that policy hasn't yet started. It doesn't yet exist. Nor should it need to because it's unreasonable for Tesla to require 60-days worth of proof of insurance (for a car we don't even yet own, mind you) on a car we're paying cash for.

So I had a single document that showed the new car on the ID card as valid and current but only until the 10th. I had another document showing the had already been renewed for the next 6-month-period but because of us already having renewed it and it not yet being current, it still only showed the other two vehicles. This means we literally didn't have a single document that a bot could scan to confirm basic VIN and date window.

Instead, we had to speak to a human who had the power (not an easy task w/Tesla on a normal day, let alone last day of the quarter) to look at two documents and do the complex math of 1+1=2 when their automated system was only s/u to look for 2... even though 2 was only required for leased or financed transactions. 1 was MORE than enough for cash purchases... but this same system doesn't differentiate between the two types of purchases for proof-of-insurance requirements.

This was a silly and needless exercise in futility that almost cost Tesla one sale for the quarter. I'm not so self-important that I don't realize the fallacy in that statement as they wouldn't have noticed a -1 on their final tally. If you're trying to apply my anecdotal experience to the total then you also need to apply some sort of multiplier of how many others were in a similar boat. That's a much larger number and every minute was clearly priceless for Tesla on Saturday.

Lost time is lost money and their goal at the corporate level should be to fix incidents just like this before they ever happen, for their own profit margins even if they don't care about the customer service aspect.