Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opting out of the Performance Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rodolfo, have you read through this thread over on the Roadster side? What I take away from it is that one of the best arguments for charging as soon as you get home from a drive is that unless you plug in and start charging, the R won't actively cool the battery pack, and that leaving an already warm (from driving) battery pack to heat-soak in a warm garage is quite detrimental to the battery's longevity.

Agreed... that seems to be the best argument for charging as soon as you get home. It's an issue specific to the car, not to the battery, and it does suggest that for most people that's the best choice. I will take this into account in my own use of the car, though my garage is air-conditioned to 70F and most of my driving is such that I don't heat up the battery much, so I will probably end up charging 3-4 times a week now instead of once or twice. Thanks for pointing that out.

From a geeky-minded point of view, ideally Tesla could provide a user-programmable setting that would allow you to choose whether or not to use up some power by continuing to cool the car actively after a drive. Good parameters for this setting would be: continue to cool actively (a) so long as the SOC is above a configurable percentage, and/or (b) only if you're home, and/or (c) only if your remaining range exceeds X% or Y miles beyond what you'd need to get home.

Can I get a TweakUI for the car? :biggrin:

From a geeky-minded point of view, ideally Tesla could provide a user-programmable setting that would allow you to choose whether or not to use up some power by continuing to cool the car actively after a drive. Good parameters for this setting would be: continue to cool actively (a) so long as the SOC is above a configurable percentage, and/or (b) only if you're home, and/or (c) only if your remaining range exceeds X% or Y miles beyond what you'd need to get home.

Can I get a TweakUI for the car? :biggrin:
I would assume that anything that can be accessed on the touchscreen would be accessible from the SDK and someone could build an app to do this.

I have a Sig non-performance and I truly love the acceleration, especially from say 45-85 mph. Have about 2000 miles on the car now.

However earlier this week I was at an event where Tesla had a Performance model and was making test drives available to attendees. I signed up specifically to feel the difference. Wow I was surprised how much more 'sporty' the Perf is. The straight line 0-50 acceleration is punctuated with lovely tire chirps (my non-perf hardly ever chirps except in turns), and I did an aggressive U-turn with full accelerator that gave very spirited tire chirps and a hint of rear tire waggle but 100% controlled and with excellent handling.

I'm still happy to have my Sig but with the recent round of firmware tuning (4.2) I think the Perf is instantly recognizable as a kick in the pants fun kind of driving.

That said, if you don't floor it and throw it into turns with lots of acceleration you won't really miss it, but its a blast!