Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I let it sit and do its thing, the behavior is also undocumented. It'll periodically blink green twice which makes sense if it's working on connecting to GPRS. But then it'll go into an error mode with both lights blinking. The green 5 times and the red 9 times. The documentation only explains errors up to 8 blinks of the red. I think they may have shipped me a cuisinart instead? :)

Has anyone had experience using the Cooldown ACC feature with a spare mobile charger (15A/120V)? I've confirmed Cooldown works with my 40A UMC, and it works great in multiple locations. But I haven't been able to get Cooldown working with my SMC in two different locations where Cooldown works fine with the UMC. When charge is initiated with the SMC, ACC seems to initiate and the module switches to a 13A Range charge for 60 minutes (per parameter 15), but the charge mode never oscillates between Range & Performance (which is what causes the HVAC to kick in). It seems that there's something about charging off of the SMC prevents the module from initiating Cooldown...

The ACC parameters I have set are:

COOLDOWN
CHARGEPLUGIN LIMIT 15
MODE STA

And I'm sure ACC has been enabled in the locations I've tried :)

I've tried with the 13A mobile connector (UK/HK style) and it works ok.

That said, it really is up to the car. The OVMS cooldown code works by waiting for the car to turn on the HVAC then turn it off. OVMS then toggles between charge modes, periodically, to try to get the car to do it again. If the car never turns on HVAC then OVMS won't try to initiate another cycle.

I suggest you leave it for an hour, then do an SMS STAT. See what you get reported.

If I let it sit and do its thing, the behavior is also undocumented. It'll periodically blink green twice which makes sense if it's working on connecting to GPRS. But then it'll go into an error mode with both lights blinking. The green 5 times and the red 9 times. The documentation only explains errors up to 8 blinks of the red. I think they may have shipped me a cuisinart instead? :)

Jimmyz80, I am not an expert with OVMS, but I have been through this several times with my Roadsters. 9 Red blinks means "problem establishing a TCP/IP connection" . But you already know that. Duh. The most common errors are passwords. The OVMS server is very particular.
Have you tried provisioning through the Openvehicles.com website?

I've been having odd OVMS behavior - works fine for months then stops. And response to sms is tardy at best.

Those splendid folk at GEOSIM sent me a new M2M sim and WoW what a difference !
the intermittent problem seems to have been simply poor signal on poor network (default mother carrier EE in UK has poor signal where i'm based).

The M2M sim can tap into most carriers and chooses the best - now i've got a big Phat Voda UK signal (Voda effectively invented mobile cells).

kudos GEOSIM !

Well I figured out my problem, and hopefully others can learn from my mistake. The Roadster User Guide in BOLD letters tells you to use 64.111.70.40 as the server when you issue the SERVER message to the module. This information seems to be out of data since the Support FAQ says to use 54.243.136.230 as the server. Once I started using that server, everything just started working as it should. So it appears the user guide needs to be updated to avoid this confusion. I'm also curious why the module doesn't support DNS resolution, which would alleviate this sort of mess. Is there a technical restriction, or it just wasn't ever implemented?

So I can echo what some others have reported on the board, that H2O wireless SIM cards work just fine in the OVMS module. Just set the APN to att.mvno and you're all set to go! Unfortunately the AT&T signal used by H2O is less than stellar in my garage. :/

Yeah, guide needs updating since TMC migrated to that new IP.

Regarding DNS resolution, the issue was that you would have to put in the DNS servers to use. Just something else to enter... But, since the project was launched, google DNS has arrived and seems reliable and stable (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Thinking of adding that to the firmware, but concern is (a) it would only work for those with latest firmware, which would confuse people without, and (b) google has a habit of cancelling projects.

Thanks for the feedback on my question. :) Does GPRS not include any functionality to automatically supply DNS server addresses, much like DHCP or PPP do? It seems that you can pop a SIM into a phone and just enter the APN to get full connectivity. No manual entry of DNS servers is ever required, so I'm scratching my head as to what mechanism supplies the phones with DNS server addresses. Surely all the phone handsets aren't directly querying the root servers. :)

Thanks for the feedback on my question. :) Does GPRS not include any functionality to automatically supply DNS server addresses, much like DHCP or PPP do? It seems that you can pop a SIM into a phone and just enter the APN to get full connectivity. No manual entry of DNS servers is ever required, so I'm scratching my head as to what mechanism supplies the phones with DNS server addresses. Surely all the phone handsets aren't directly querying the root servers. :)

From my understanding, not. GPRS just provides an IP tunnel (kind of like a vpn). The GSM modules that we use (SIMCOM SIM900 (version 1) or SIM908 (version 2)) have a specific AT command to set the DNS servers - I've previously tried and was unable to make a connection to a DNS name (as opposed to IP address) without specifying those DNS servers. Querying the module, after establishing GPRS, showed 0.0.0.0 as the DNS servers.

I've tried with the 13A mobile connector (UK/HK style) and it works ok.

That said, it really is up to the car. The OVMS cooldown code works by waiting for the car to turn on the HVAC then turn it off. OVMS then toggles between charge modes, periodically, to try to get the car to do it again. If the car never turns on HVAC then OVMS won't try to initiate another cycle.

I suggest you leave it for an hour, then do an SMS STAT. See what you get reported.

Tried this a few times over the weekend...SMS'd the car just after an hour of charging (once the Cooldown window was over and it switched into standard 15A charge):

STAT? yielded:
06:04:29
Standard - Charging
114V/15A
Full: 535 mins
SOC: 78%
Ideal Range: 140 mi
Est. Range: 113 mi
ODO: 5526.2 mi
CAC: 144.97

ACC STAT yielded:
ACC Status #2
[gps coordinates]
Enabled
State: Charging in standard 113V/15A

Tried this a few times over the weekend...SMS'd the car just after an hour of charging (once the Cooldown window was over and it switched into standard 15A charge):

State: Charging in standard 113V/15A
Here's the problem. As Mark mentioned, it worked for him at 13A. But that was based on the UK system, which is 230v. The car won't run the a/c to cool the battery on 110v/15A. It needs more power than that to run the cooldown cycle.

Here's the problem. As Mark mentioned, it worked for him at 13A. But that was based on the UK system, which is 230v. The car won't run the a/c to cool the battery on 110v/15A. It needs more power than that to run the cooldown cycle.

Hmmm...interesting. But I have had the car cool itself down a few times (independent of ACC) while charging on 120V/15A...I recall this happening when the pack was above 30C and when charging reached 90%SOC. It was as if the car didn't want to cross over into a higher SOC with the battery at its current temperature. AC turned on, fans went to full blast, and stayed on until the temperature of the pack dropped by ~10C. So it is possible to run the AC and cool the pack down while charging off of a 120V/15A source, the only issue is how to 'trick' the car into doing so.

I've been having odd OVMS behavior - works fine for months then stops. And response to sms is tardy at best.

Those splendid folk at GEOSIM sent me a new M2M sim and WoW what a difference !
the intermittent problem seems to have been simply poor signal on poor network (default mother carrier EE in UK has poor signal where i'm based).

The M2M sim can tap into most carriers and chooses the best - now i've got a big Phat Voda UK signal (Voda effectively invented mobile cells).

kudos GEOSIM !

Funny - I was getting the same thing. The OVMS worked flawlessly for months then I started getting intermittent lock ups since about November. Mine is also on EE.

This M2M SIM sounds cool. I could do with one for my tablet ;)

I have a question on ACC. Do I need to turn of the "charge on plugin" in the car to use the CHARGEBY feature? Can someone post a few examples of exactly what to send? I'm not sure I'm using it right. For instance I want to set it to cooldown, then charge at 44A by 6am. So far I've done:
ACC STAT
ACC Status #0
State: Free

ACC HERE

ACC #1 set

ACC ENABLE
ACC enabled

ACC STAT

ACC Status #1
39.871884, -105.108136
Enabled
State: ChargePort Open

Then I had to drive to work, so I'm not at the same location anymore.

ACC STAT
ACC Status #0

Nope, I need slot 1

ACC STAT 1
ACC Status #0

Hmm...

ACC PARAMS 1

ACC #1
39.xxxxxx, -105.xxxxxx
Enabled
Mode: standard (0A)

LIMIT 44
no response

ACC PARAMS 1

ACC #1
39.xxxxxx, -105.xxxxxx
Enabled
Mode: standard (0A)

Stopped here since I'm not sure I'm using it right.

When I try to change the current via SMS, nothing is happening.. Am I doing something wrong here?

I tried:

CHARGEMODE RANGE 13
CHARGEMODE 13

I get reply that the change is requested, but nothing is happening..

i copied the following from the instructions for ACC:
//////////////////////////////
Advanced Charge Control
The Advanced Charge Control system is designed to supplement the (aka take over from) vehicle's own charge scheduling. It should support any vehicle with charge control, but at the moment that means only Tesla Roadster. It has some pretty sophisticated features. For the moment, it is setup via SMS, but in future we will allow smartphone Apps to do this. Once setup, it runs autonomously, and doesn't even require a cellular connection.

ACC works from the concept of a 'charge location'. This is a geofenced location that is used for charging, and you can configure up to 4 of these (numbered #1 through #4). To define the car's current location as a 'charge location', sms "ACC HERE" to the car, and it will allocate a free slot and reply to you with it. You can use "ACC NOTHERE" to clear the current location.

If you want to clear a particular ACC location, you can sms "ACC CLEAR n" (to clear one location), or "ACC CLEAR" (to clear all locations).

You can show the current status off ACC with “ACC STAT”.

You can show the ACC details for the current location by sms "ACC PARAMS?" (or for a particular location by "ACC PARAMS? n" - which is very useful if you have crappy cellular connectivity like I do).

The ACC parameters for a particular location are configured with the "ACC PARAMS" SMS. You can list a location number (1, 2, 3 or 4) as the first parameter - or don't specify location if you just want to configure the current location the car is at. After 'ACC PARAMS", you can set the parameters you would like, from the following:

COOLDOWN - perform a cooldown charge (13A range mode, with cooling cycles) when the car is plugged in at this ACC location
NOCOOLDOWN - don't do a cooldown charge (default)
HOMELINK n - activate homelink when the vehicle drives to within 100m of an ACC location (the idea is to open our garage door / gate automatically as you approach)
NOHOMELINK - don't activate homelink (default)
CHARGEPLUGIN - charge the car on plugin (but after cooldown, if enabled)
CHARGEAT HH:MM - schedule charge to start at the specified time (hours:minutes, 24hour clock)
CHARGEBY HH:MM - schedule charge to complete by the specified time (hours:minutes 24hour clock)
NOCHARGE - don't charge (default)
LIMIT n - limit charge current to n Amps - must be specified for all CHARGE* actions
MODE m - set charge mode (where "m" is STA(NDARD), STO(RAGE), RAN(GE) or PER(FORMANCE)) - must be specified for all CHARGE* actions
STOPRANGE r - stop charge when range "r" is reached (specified in vehicle units, set to 0 (default) to not limit).
STOPSOC s - stop charge when SOC "s" is reached (specified as a percentage, set to 0 (default) to not limit).
The actions to take at a particular ACC location must be enabled with "ACC ENABLE" (or "ACC ENABLE n") before they will work. You can also disable with "ACC DISABLE" (or "ACC DISABLE n").

If you are using CHARGEAT or CHARGEBY, you need to specify the timezone of the vehicle. This is parameter #23 and is specified as HH:MM offset from GmT (with an optional leading "-" if west of Greenwich).

The default temperature limit for cooldown is 31Celcius, and time limit is 60 minutes. If you want to change these, you can set parameter #15 to templimit:timelimit (e.g.; "31:60").

Note that you can also cooldown manually, while charging, with the SMS command "COOLDOWN", and see the status with SMS "STAT".
//////////////////////////////////
Your command should read:
ACC PARAMS MODE RANGE LIMIT 13
ACC ENABLE

Here is what I use:

ACC PARAMS COOLDOWN CHARGEBY 06:00 MODE STA LIMIT 40

Then, if I type ACC PARAMS 1?

I see:

ACC #1
39.xxxxxx, -77.xxxxxx
Enabled
Cooldown
Charge by time 06:00:00
Mode: standard (40A)

Works great for me!
Ahhh, all in one command! That's the thing I was missing. Do you have your car's "charge on plugin" disabled? Or leave it on to kick off the cooldown?

After lurking on these forums for years, it's really strange to see your avatar green and #55. Congrats!

- - - Updated - - -

i copied the following from the instructions for ACC:
Yeah, I read that section of the manual a few times and for whatever reason it just wasn't clicking. I think a few examples might help the next person. Thanks guys!

Ahhh, all in one command! That's the thing I was missing. Do you have your car's "charge on plugin" disabled? Or leave it on to kick off the cooldown?

I have found that some (but not all) parameters may be entered without interfering with others. Rather than try to keep track, though, I just enter everything in a single command (and then verify that I got what I intended).

All of the CHARGE* params are mutually exclusive. Use only one at any given time.

After lurking on these forums for years, it's really strange to see your avatar green and #55. Congrats!

Thanks!