Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard storage vs. USB drive for music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lean heavily toward the "Just tell us what the hell is going on." side on this. I can live without the onboard storage, though I had counted on it as advertised and would like to have it available as, I assume, it would be more flexible than the current USB option where there's no shuffle or any way to really randomize what music plays.

I think that's an unwarranted assumption. The actual music software is going to be identical whether the storage is internal or USB. There's absolutely nothing about internal storage that makes it easier to offer the features you are talking about. I imagine they'll support such things sooner or later.

The only difference between USB and internal storage is how the music gets loaded. If you need to use a flash drive (as is likely) to update the internal storage, then the feature is truly useless. If they supported over the air syncing of your music, then it would be great, but I don't think they ever planned that (they certainly didn't ever suggest it).

I think that's an unwarranted assumption. The actual music software is going to be identical whether the storage is internal or USB. There's absolutely nothing about internal storage that makes it easier to offer the features you are talking about. I imagine they'll support such things sooner or later.

The only difference between USB and internal storage is how the music gets loaded. If you need to use a flash drive (as is likely) to update the internal storage, then the feature is truly useless. If they supported over the air syncing of your music, then it would be great, but I don't think they ever planned that (they certainly didn't ever suggest it).

one additional difference is that with USB the user determines how the music is stored. In a single directory or in directories by artist, genre or other random cataloguing method.
internal storage will allow a defined storage architecture which would allow more predictable indexing, searching and selecting of the users desired audio entertainment.

one additional difference is that with USB the user determines how the music is stored. In a single directory or in directories by artist, genre or other random cataloguing method.
internal storage will allow a defined storage architecture which would allow more predictable indexing, searching and selecting of the users desired audio entertainment.

Isn't that more a function of the implementation? The Tesla music app could simply read and index all MP3 tags and achieve the same result from a USB drive regardless of how content is stored. That's what my Sonos system does at home. I store music however I want on a drive in the house and it creates an index that works independently of that structure.

Sized down to this 32GB Sandisk Flash Drive - Fits nicely. Better than my earlier attempt (Post #19 above).
IMG_2013.jpg

Music Quality: what is the best way to load the USb with music at the highest quality? Can this be done from iTunes or should we be loading CDs into the computer and then transfer? Looking for the best quality at reasonable level of effort.

This depends on a number of factors. It depends on the quality of the source, obviously, but also the bit rate of the recording.

I use iTunes to import all my music from CD, but I changed the default settings from 128 (160?) kbps AAC to 320 kbps mp3. Once you change this setting, importing music at high quality takes minimal effort.

There are better ways, but perhaps a little more inconvenience.

I just drag and drop files using Windows Explorer.

Music Quality: what is the best way to load the USb with music at the highest quality? Can this be done from iTunes or should we be loading CDs into the computer and then transfer? Looking for the best quality at reasonable level of effort.

It can't be done directly from iTunes because Tesla doesn't understand Apple Lossless and Apple doesn't understand FLAC. However, you can convert Apple Lossless to FLAC with programs like Max so you don't have to load the CDs. Or you can convert directly from CDs. There wouldn't be a difference in sound because either method is Lossless.

I would say I'm miffed about it, but not sure I'd make a big deal about it...what could one do either way?

On-board storage was my deciding factor in opting for the Sound Package, if they can't deliver; I'd like my money back or equivalent (not a $20 USB drive).

According to the specs on TeslaTap.com "Memory – 16 GB SD flash memory standard, 32 GB when equipped with Sound Studio/Ultra High Fidelity Sound"

If this is the case, there should be at least 16gb left over on "Sound Studio" equipped for on-board storage? Were all MS's really equipped with 32gb boards and Tesla decided to use it all for caching map tiles?