Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard storage vs. USB drive for music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand from the forums that a music shuffle isn't possible. Is that true?

That's true for now. Eventually it will come in an upgrade. I've found the best alternative is to mark songs as favourites. Then they will play in alphabetical order by song title. That works as long as the album doesn't start all the song titles with the same word.

Just want to bump this thread.

Did Tesla ever make any good for advertising and selling but never delivering on-board storage for those who opted for the Studio Sound Package?

I've been patient... however, the media player in the MS is crap. Period.

No shuffle. No playlists. Ugly interface. Stuff an 2003 iPod could do. Is this because they can't index external media?

At version 6.0... Tesla should be embarrassed; ... they have no excuses.

There don't appear to be any plans for on board storage. A 128Gb thumb drive is down to $40 or so.

The software is getting better just a matter of time and resources. They need more programmers it seems.

2 years later... I get they have no plans to deliver on-board storage.

However, when I purchased my car, on-board storage was a highlighted bullet point in the package and a deciding factor for me. They never delivered. Shouldn't they provide something? Or even an official acknowledgement that it's never coming?

There don't appear to be any plans for on board storage. A 128Gb thumb drive is down to $40 or so.

The software is getting better just a matter of time and resources. They need more programmers it seems.

They should tell people it is never coming. I honestly think it is better this way with USB drive. My guess is they would have put 32 or 64GB back then and you'd be stuck with that. This way in two years you'll get 256Gb for today's 128 price.

The software does need a lot ok work in the media section. It is likely a low priority.

They should tell people it is never coming. I honestly think it is better this way with USB drive. My guess is they would have put 32 or 64GB back then and you'd be stuck with that. This way in two years you'll get 256Gb for today's 128 price.

The software does need a lot ok work in the media section. It is likely a low priority.

It really shouldn't be a low priority; shuffle/playlists/media covers are basic to all software media players and something we all probably use and interact with daily. It really shouldn't take a Dev more than a week to build in these features. Something seems off that they haven't added these features by now.

I hope more owners start making noise on this subject. It should have been in 6.0.

We need to stop making excuses for them.

2 years later... I get they have no plans to deliver on-board storage.

However, when I purchased my car, on-board storage was a highlighted bullet point in the package and a deciding factor for me. They never delivered. Shouldn't they provide something? Or even an official acknowledgement that it's never coming?
They have. They said the onboard storage is being used to cache the maps, so they display faster. I use a low profile USB drive and it works fine. It's so small you don't even know it's there.

It really shouldn't be a low priority; shuffle/playlists/media covers are basic to all software media players and something we all probably use and interact with daily. It really shouldn't take a Dev more than a week to build in these features. Something seems off that they haven't added these features by now.

I hope more owners start making noise on this subject. It should have been in 6.0.

We need to stop making excuses for them.

I'm not making excuses for them. I'm not on their development team so have no idea why certain features haven't made the cut. If the hadn't added any feature in the last two years then yes but there have been a number of improvements in the last two years, just not every one that every single person wants.

They have. They said the onboard storage is being used to cache the maps, so they display faster. I use a low profile USB drive and it works fine. It's so small you don't even know it's there.

Those who purchased the Sound Studio Package were supposedly getting more on-board system storage vs. non-Studio optioned vehicles (I believe 16gb vs 8gb). That extra storage was supposedly allocated for media... the Studio optioned vehicles are not caching more map tiles than any other MS as far as I can tell (anyone else?).

So no; they've made no such statements as to how that extra storage on Studio optioned cars has been/or will be used as far I can find. Did Studio cars actually not come with increased memory on-board? Maybe all cars came with 16gb system boards?

... and playlists and shuffle are not hard to add to a Media Player. However they have the time to develop Name your Car, iOS Calendar integration and "Traffic Commute Advice"; useful to some, however I expect the majority of us would like a decent media player first.

Is it possible there's a system limitation and we might never have the basics like playlists, shuffle, etc?

If it's not every going to be available, they should come out say so... and maybe send those who ordered the Sound Studio Package an 8gb Tesla USB drive... or at least something?

Last edited:
Across the Board, Tesla's software strategy appears to be to highlight the beautiful 17" display, provide minimal functionality in each of the apps - and then move onto to the next feature, with few improvements made to already existing features.

It's difficult to find any justification why some of the basic functionality missing from the media playback and navigation systems still haven't been added - almost two and a half years after the first Model S was delivered.

How hard can it really be to implement something like "repeat song" or "random playback"???

The Model S onboard systems have so much potential for having the market leading infotainment system - and, at least so far, Tesla appears to be satisfied with having a great car, with a great display, and limited software.

The limited software capabilities are my only major disappointment with my Model S after almost 2 years and 45K miles...

Those who purchased the Sound Studio Package were supposedly getting more on-board system storage vs. non-Studio optioned vehicles (I believe 16gb vs 8gb). That extra storage was supposedly allocated for media... the Studio optioned vehicles are not caching more map tiles than any other MS as far as I can tell (anyone else?).

So no; they've made no such statements as to how that extra storage on Studio optioned cars has been/or will be used as far I can find. Did Studio cars actually not come with increased memory on-board? Maybe all cars came with 16gb system boards?

... and playlists and shuffle are not hard to add to a Media Player. However they have the time to develop Name your Car, iOS Calendar integration and "Traffic Commute Advice"; useful to some, however I expect the majority of us would like a decent media player first.

Is it possible there's a system limitation and we might never have the basics like playlists, shuffle, etc?

If it's not every going to be available, they should come out say so... and maybe send those who ordered the Sound Studio Package an 8gb Tesla USB drive... or at least something?

If the change in onboard storage is that important to you, make a request to ownership for some restitution.

If the change in onboard storage is that important to you, make a request to ownership for some restitution.

I did in May... the response I received was "Unfortunately, we don’t have an update on the onboard music storage for the Studio Sound Package. "

Then I sort of let it go... .

I'm not looking for personal gain... whatever 'restitution' made should apply to all owners who ordered that option.

I shall ask again and let everyone know.

However, we should ALL contact them about adding basics like shuffle and playlists (or do I need to take out a full page Ad?). A rock only moves with pressure.