Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On a budget....S60D with Tech vs barebones S85???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go for the bare bones 85. Why do you guys think the tech package is so important ?

Mainly NAV but so many other features depend on it like parking sensors, the autonomous driving sensors...etc. kind of feel like buying such a technologically advanced car and skipping the tech package doesn't work for me personally. Just a preference though.

Mainly NAV but so many other features depend on it like parking sensors, the autonomous driving sensors...etc. kind of feel like buying such a technologically advanced car and skipping the tech package doesn't work for me personally. Just a preference though.

I think if it came down to it, I would take AWD over tech, although tech is much more attractive now that fog lights and parking sensors from before are now included...plus upcoming autopilot features. Any word if X is gonna be revealed at this winter's auto shows?

I wouldn't compromise on tires to reach a price point. Stopping traction is at least as important as forward traction and all wheel won't help with that. I also think that in most conditions a rear drive with snows will outperform a 4wd with all seasons. A few years back my Audi was totaled by an SUV driving in 4 wheel with standard all weathers which spun out on a mild uphill turn.

I think if it came down to it, I would take AWD over tech, although tech is much more attractive now that fog lights and parking sensors from before are now included...plus upcoming autopilot features. Any word if X is gonna be revealed at this winter's auto shows?

No one knows for certain on the X but has to be soon.

No tech package will also make selling car harder if that is important. I really think the tech package is a must for a car like this but there are some who don't have it and don't miss it. Personal preference.

I think tech plus winter rims/tires would be good compromise if tech and AWD isn't possible (with snows if you live in area with severe winter).

Hmmm...I'll keep my eye on Autotrader for the used market. I am in Canada, so there are much less of them around for sale usually, and they are not importable from the US. We have a pretty sweet EV rebate in Ontario too ($8,500 cash back, plus $1,000 towards EVSE setup), so I would have to take that into account when looking at used. I would probably need a used one to be down around 60-70k to make it worth serious interest.

Perhaps I could talk myself into a new barebones 85D with the rationale that with the AWD I could get away without using winter tires, plus tire wear should be better, so maybe over 10 years I would save most of the D upfront cost.

Sounds like a very stupid idea to get AWD instead of winter tires. Have you driven on snowy or frozen roads with summer tires? If so you should know AWD does not help you at all when you try to stop the vehicle. Also a rear wheel drive car with winter tires will have much better traction than an AWD car without so you might as well get the RWD then and save the extra money.

+1 on Tech package: in fact, I truly think it's a little silly that on a car so advanced as this that the Tech package is a separate option. I know some order without, but I think the last unofficial survey it was <5% don't get tech. Even if you're just protecting future resale, it's probably a good idea.

I vote S85D, in my truly biased opinion (see signature below). If you're going to be getting supercharging added for $2k, it closes the gap between S60D + Tech and S85D + Tech to $8k. The X is likely to be more $ as well.

I was originally getting S85 and now S85D, and spent a lot of time running the scenarios. The 85 models with SC included, increased range, battery and motor warranty (also nice for resale) seem to hit the sweet spot value-wise to me. No one's money is unlimited, but in this range of car prices, I wanted to make sure I was maximizing my return on investment.

When buying tech products, I try to get the max value before the "diminishing returns" kick in. For me that was S85. P85, +, D are awesome, but you pay a ton extra money for the extra gogo juice. If money was no object, different decisions can be made. But most bang for your buck? S85 +/- D.

You live in Ontario. It's cold there. If you don't go out of town, but "every few months", I'd see if the 60kwh version will deliver no less than twice the range you expect every day, in the worst weather your area will throw you. If it can't pass that test, I'd be giving up Tech, etc., etc., to get the 85.

Sounds like a very stupid idea to get AWD instead of winter tires. Have you driven on snowy or frozen roads with summer tires? If so you should know AWD does not help you at all when you try to stop the vehicle. Also a rear wheel drive car with winter tires will have much better traction than an AWD car without so you might as well get the RWD then and save the extra money.

I've actually never run winter tires on any of my vehicles. I am still driving my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE everyday with just all season Goodyear Triple Treds. I drive 95km round trip to work on country roads. Never been in an accident or even in the ditch.

Yes, I saw, only $50 difference between the two version. I would go with the S60D. You have Supercharger and the infrastructure is only getting better. No real need for 85KwH. You also have the techpackage with all the sensors on the car. You will be much "future upgrade proof". Things they talked about like torque vectoring, expanded autonomous driving etc. will be possible in this way.

Yes, I saw, only $50 difference between the two version. I would go with the S60D. You have Supercharger and the infrastructure is only getting better. No real need for 85KwH. You also have the techpackage with all the sensors on the car. You will be much "future upgrade proof". Things they talked about like torque vectoring, expanded autonomous driving etc. will be possible in this way.

Well....Kingston to Toronto in windy -30C might be a challenge in a 60 I would think.

I had similar consideration and came to conclusion that range is the most limiting factor in Model S, especially here in Finland where the winter is cold. I ordered S85 with Subzero and nothing else. All those fancy features in tech pack also require maintenance and repairing. So the cost of it is not limited to what you pay initially.

Another possibility would have been to buy a used S85 from Germany with tech pack. After a period of consideration I decided to go for a new one for multiple reasons like getting the latest battery pack.

Of course there are people who just don't like or need to drive longer distances. Those people can save money by getting a Nissan Leaf or if they want to have a Tesla then S60 is a perfect choice.