Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older S60 to 75 (90 or 100) Battery Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I heard a while back that Elon said an upgrade would be made available to upgrade the older 60s to a 75. This is interesting to me because I have found a super good deal on a 60 - almost no miles on it, and loaded otherwise. But, in the long term, I need the extra range. Has anyone heard if this upgrade has been made available, and if so, how much?

And I wonder why, if they can upgrade it to a 75, why can't they upgrade to a 90 or 100? I guess possibly size limitations.

I thought I heard a while back that Elon said an upgrade would be made available to upgrade the older 60s to a 75. This is interesting to me because I have found a super good deal on a 60 - almost no miles on it, and loaded otherwise. But, in the long term, I need the extra range. Has anyone heard if this upgrade has been made available, and if so, how much?

And I wonder why, if they can upgrade it to a 75, why can't they upgrade to a 90 or 100? I guess possibly size limitations.

The 100 has significantly more cells, thus more weight. Could have an impact on suspension tuning.

That turned out to be a misstatement. Elon was referring to the software-locked 60 to 75 upgrade, and replied to the wrong context. He eventually set the record straight.

And as far as battery pack swapping, Elon did say earlier that the packs are modular, but never actually offered the option to upgrade to larger battery packs. It seems like there’s not a cost-justifiable way of doing that. Tesla’s CPO value is so strong that trading in the car is almost always a cheaper option for you than the labor and parts for such an upgrade, not to mention Tesla is making a fairly decent profit out of flipping CPO’s and could easily tune that number to work better in your favor if the market demands.

I believe the old 60s came with a software locked battery that was possible of unlocking to 75 if you paid tesla to do it. I think its around $2000 to do it now?
Depends on how you define older..? I believe that only the 2016 S60's are able to be upgraded to the 75kw battery packs. I know for a fact that my 2014 S60 isn't upgradeable.

Depends on how you define older..? I believe that only the 2016 S60's are able to be upgraded to the 75kw battery packs. I know for a fact that my 2014 S60 isn't upgradeable.
Actually, only software locked 60's which already came with the 75KWh packs are upgradable to 75. There have also been a few software locked 60's produced that came with 70KWh batteries - those are upgradable to 70. The original 60 battery is not upgradable. Any 60D's would be upgradable to 70 or 75 as the dual motor was never offered with the original 60 (ok, it was "offered" to order for a couple of weeks, but then cancelled before any were produced).

Reactions: solardudesf
I was in a chat with tesla support they told me this is doable and then they took my phone number for a service technician to call me in my area. I received a call and service technician told me it is not doable. I m still convinced.

You can definitely upgrade to the new 90kwh pack. It's 20k if you give Tesla your old battery.
I guess technicians here on Ontario not knowing it can be done as they told me my s60 can only handle 75kw battery pack. Also tesla support was misleading as I ask them clearly if I could purchase OTA update to unlock s75kw on s60 model and they said it is doable.

Last edited:
I guess technicians here on Ontario not knowing it can be done as they told me my s60 can only handle 75kw battery pack. Also tesla support was misleading as I ask them clearly if I could purchase OTA update to unlock s75kw on s60 model and they said it is doable.
It depends on which S60 you got. There was the original S60 (with a soft locked variant known as S40, which in very early units was also missing DC charging completely), and then there was a rear-wheel version of S60D, also badged as S60 - those were in fact software locked S70 and then S75's. Software locked S60 could be upgraded over-the-air to S70 for $500 IIRC, and S75 for $2,000 (initially it started at $7,500), but you could only upgrade to whatever your hardware happened to be (S70 or S75). The software locked S60's were only produced for a limited time too, at some point only S60D's were available (this may or may not have been when Elon decided all Teslas from then on will be all-wheel-drive, which as we know he has changed his mind on a few times), then Tesla got rid of software locked models completely, with an exception of a single batch of S75D's sent to Europe which had 85KWh batteries (which was weird as S85/S85D's were no longer in production, long gone by then, so theory is Tesla found a batch of old batteries somewhere) - those were never offered unlocking to 85.

So the support person was simply not fully educated of the myriad of Tesla Model S versions since 2012 - Elon used to be proud of the fact that Tesla changes hardware in production every 2 weeks (so 26 different versions of Model S every year! Sometimes changes were small, other times less small). They were talking about S60's which were software locked S70 or S75, which can be over the air upgraded.

Welcome to Tesla products! :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jaydin and croman
Wow that's great information Thank you. I guess my only bet to trust the service center as I gave them my VIN to check if OTA upgrade was possible.
You can look under your car, behind the front right wheel, to see the battery identification sticker. That will tell you which battery capacity your car has, which is all you can OTA upgrade to. What manufacture date is your S60?

You can look under your car, behind the front right wheel, to see the battery identification sticker. That will tell you which battery capacity your car has, which is all you can OTA upgrade to. What manufacture date is your S60?
So, interesting update. Went to the SC on Tuesday to request the upgrade for the 10th time in 2yrs again, the tech at this time said YES, it can be done today! Not only that, they would give me a discount and it would only cost 1500.00 instead of 2K! Wonderful, the 2yrs of begging Tesla to take my money for this upgrade has finally been achieved! So I thought... LOL Paid the money, got the receipt and proceed to go home and wait for the upgrade to come thru. woke up on Wed, no upgrade occured. I called the SC, no answer, sent a message on the app, no reply. Drove over to the SC and spoke with the manager who checked and said that it can take up to 72hrs for the update to happen. He said several things have to happen including It needs to be sent from the local SC to the Main Tesla people so they can check to make sure this is an authorized change from 60 to 75 and not just some random Joe who figured out how to do this on his own. But that begs the question...why would I pay Tesla 1500.00 if I figured out a way to do this myself???? Just another long list of explanations that make no sense. So, I drive home to wait out my 72 hrs. Two hours later....manager calls me and explains that the wrong code was entered for the order yesterday, the cost is not 1500.00 but 2300.00 (so much for the discount they were GIVING). I pay the 2300.00 and with in 5 min my car is now a 75kw! so much for 72 hrs! If I didn't love my car so much.....Argh!