Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official opening of SuperChargers in Norway Aug 30th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Florida MS owner, I am jealous of the all at once roll out. By the end of Aug you will have more SCs than we have and I am reasonably certain we have more cars.
As a shareholder, I am very excited that Tesla is hitting the European market over the head with a big hammer in showing them that MS is real and distance travel is a reality provided there is demand.
Nicely done Tesla.

Yup. For the first year I think the active usage, if you monitor all the SC stalls in all of Norway for a year, will be something like 0,1% of the time :)

Edit: Some really rought napkin math:

36 SC stalls (I think this is about right) makes for a possible 18921600 "stallminutes" in a year.

1000 cars sold, each supercharging for 30 minutes per week every week of the year (quite sure this i way exaggerating average frequency) makes for a total of 1560000 active charging minutes,

which makes for a total usage of 8,2%. Not realistic, but says something about the total capacity of the network already. Peak load is what's important I guess.

What I think is important is showing the rest of Europe that it can (easily) be done. It removes the "yea but" trip recharging issue. We had to be believers in the US (apart from California that got the love early) where this will be a fully functional example.

What I think is important is showing the rest of Europe that it can (easily) be done. It removes the "yea but" trip recharging issue. We had to be believers in the US (apart from California that got the love early) where this will be a fully functional example.

You're right I think. I was indeed thinking it could be a very long time before we would see any super chargers in the EU, this six help to believe it might be faster.

OK, so here are fresh off the press snapshots of the actual plug of an EU superchargers. ...
Credit goes to user KnutGol from the Norwegian forum (he lives close to the Gol supercharger)
You should provide a link so we can properly credit the source.

Interesting that it's not keyed like I saw on the EU spec car a couple months ago.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29206&d=1377451909.png
attachment.php?attachmentid=24840&d=1372683178.png

So this is happening today. Any live streams available?

Haven't heard of any streams, but there is a blog post/artcile that will be continously updated throughout the day on elbil.no, the Norwegian electric car associations website:

Følg åpningen av Teslas superladere

Three Model S's have started driving early today from Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim. They will stop and charge at the different SCs along the way and all end up in Oslo at the same time, around 4 o'clock I think.

Interseting info in the article already: The SC are rated to 120kW but will deliver 105-110 kW due to the available voltage of the grid here in Norway.

Some nice pictures posted already.

Remeber to F5 during the day, as the post will be updated along the way.

(I guess you could run it through Google translate if you want)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: A comment by the article's author now states that it seems voltage is a bit better than first expected, so that one could expect up to 115kW peak power!

(I'm assuming that there is a local transformer at the site that takes high voltage power from the supply grid and transforms it down to a suitable voltage for the superchargers, and I would suppose this to be 480V 3-phase? But perhaps the transformers available here differ slightly from the typical transformer in the US?).

Haven't heard of any streams, but there is a blog post/artcile that will be continously updated throughout the day on elbil.no, the Norwegian electric car associations website:

Three Model S's have started driving early today from Bergen, Stavanger and Trondheim. They will stop and charge at the different SCs along the way and all end up in Oslo at the same time, around 4 o'clock I think.

Interseting info in the article already: The SC are rated to 120kW but will deliver 105-110 kW due to the available voltage of the grid here in Norway.

Some nice pictures posted already.

Remeber to F5 during the day, as the post will be updated along the way.

(I guess you could run it through Google translate if you want)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: A comment by the article's author now states that it seems voltage is a bit better than first expected, so that one could expect up to 115kW peak power!

(I'm assuming that there is a local transformer at the site that takes high voltage power from the supply grid and transforms it down to a suitable voltage for the superchargers, and I would suppose this to be 480V 3-phase? But perhaps the transformers available here differ slightly from the typical transformer in the US?).
Cool, 115kW is nice. I don't think they used a different transformer, since I think the electrical company supplies the transformer?

Anyway, I also found a Tesla Europe Twitter account: Tesla Motors Europe (Tesla_Europe) on Twitter

Do you know why the Teslas in the photos have the promotional text on the doors?

Some additions to the blog post referenced above, my translation:

Tesla are opening 46 charging points today, i.e. 23 superchargers rated at 120kW nominal output each. This is the equivalent of around 2.5 MW which in turns equals about 680 low-powered charging points (230V/16A single phase). This means that Tesla have effectively added more charging power in Norway in the last 2-3 months than the Municipality of Oslo have added in five years. The estimate for Tesla's cost for the six new Superchargers is 10 million NOK (about 125k Euro or 160k USD).

My addition: If Tesla have indeed used 10 million NOK to install these superchargers, and will in the next 6 months have sold about 1000 Model S's in Norway at a typical sales price of 550k NOK, that makes for a total revenue of 550 million NOK and, if gross margin is 20%, a profit of 110 million NOK. So a 10 million NOK investment would be only ~2% of revenue or ~9% of profits. In my mind this network adds ridiculous value for a very tiny investment!

I assume that is 125k euro PER SuperCharger and not in total. Since I can't believe you install such a SuperCharger for 20k a piece.

I think the text is a bit wrong, since you talk amount 10 million NOK for all the SuperChargers and 550k NOK for a single Model S?

Btw, I got my trip planned for this Winter using these SuperChargers I'll do:

- Middelburg, NL (home)
- Kiel, DE (Ferry to Oslo)
- Oslo, NO
- Lillehammer, NO (SC)
- Dombas, NO (SC)
- Trondheim, NO

I want to see the polar light and that should be doable at Trondheim I think.

I assume that is 125k euro PER SuperCharger and not in total. Since I can't believe you install such a SuperCharger for 20k a piece.

Why not? A SuperCharger is 12 standard 10kW chargers connected together, plus some wiring and a computer to run it. Since Tesla sells the optional second charger for $1.500, including profit margin, this works out to $18.000 plus the cost of the computer and wiring. The installation, including pavement and perhaps additional transformer capacity will add to this of course, but they receive the land for free and each bank of chargers serve two SuperCharging stalls. I find the €125.000 estimate for a SuperCharger with 6 or 8 stalls to be quite reasonable. Annual running costs are of course excluded from this estimate.

I think the text is a bit wrong, since you talk amount 10 million NOK for all the SuperChargers and 550k NOK for a single Model S?

Nothing wrong with the text or my translation. The estimate of 10 million NOK/125 thousand EUR is for all 6 stations.

Why not? A SuperCharger is 12 standard 10kW chargers connected together, plus some wiring and a computer to run it. Since Tesla sells the optional second charger for $1.500, including profit margin, this works out to $18.000 plus the cost of the computer and wiring. The installation, including pavement and perhaps additional transformer capacity will add to this of course, but they receive the land for free and each bank of chargers serve two SuperCharging stalls. I find the €125.000 estimate for a SuperCharger with 6 or 8 stalls to be quite reasonable. Annual running costs are of course excluded from this estimate.
Yes, that's what I said. EUR 125k for one SuperCharger, not for 6 in Norway.

Nothing wrong with the text or my translation. The estimate of 10 million NOK/125 thousand EUR is for all 6 stations.
With "One station" I mean one of the 6 locations in Norway.

One location for 125k sounds reasonable, but still pretty low since you need a powerfull transformer.