Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak charging in NJ and Rolling Energy Resources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got the $1500 rebate from PSE&G for installing a charger for my Model 3, and I'm considering whether to enroll in their off-peak charging program. It requires signing up with Rolling Energy Resources and giving them access to your Tesla to monitor off peak charging. The problem is that I've read complaints that it wakes up the car every 30 minutes (for instance see here: Duke Energy off-peak charging - AVOID). Has anyone done this and have anything to report? Thanks!

interesting. I would avoid it if that is the case.

When did Rolling Energy become available to PSE&G? When i signed up early this year, I had to use the Juicebox or Chargepointe inorder to get the discount. So far no issues here.

Hi,

I just got the $1500 rebate from PSE&G for installing a charger for my Model 3, and I'm considering whether to enroll in their off-peak charging program. It requires signing up with Rolling Energy Resources and giving them access to your Tesla to monitor off peak charging. The problem is that I've read complaints that it wakes up the car every 30 minutes (for instance see here: Duke Energy off-peak charging - AVOID). Has anyone done this and have anything to report? Thanks!
I just signed up for this from PSE&G and yes, it's pinging my car every 18 minutes during peak periods. It's absurd. Besides being extremely inefficient and wasteful, I can't imagine it's helpful for my 12 volt battery on the car. I need to change my password so I can turn this nonsense off. I don't think I'm even getting this credit as I'm on the RLM plan with PSE&G. I just switched to it in March and need to stay on for at least a year.

I'm going to try and contact Rolling Energy to see if they can stop doing this.

I just signed up for this from PSE&G and yes, it's pinging my car every 18 minutes during peak periods. It's absurd. Besides being extremely inefficient and wasteful, I can't imagine it's helpful for my 12 volt battery on the car. I need to change my password so I can turn this nonsense off. I don't think I'm even getting this credit as I'm on the RLM plan with PSE&G. I just switched to it in March and need to stay on for at least a year.

I'm going to try and contact Rolling Energy to see if they can stop doing this.

From what I heard, people are getting .02 Credit with out being on the RER

From what I heard, people are getting .02 Credit with out being on the RER
I think you need to be connected to Rolling Energy if you don't have a Juicebox or Chargepoint EVSE. But it should now be a 10.5 cent credit. However, I switched to the RLM plan so I likely won't get any credit. I just want to see it play out for a month and then I'll tell Rolling Energy to disconnect my car.

I think you need to be connected to Rolling Energy if you don't have a Juicebox or Chargepoint EVSE. But it should now be a 10.5 cent credit. However, I switched to the RLM plan so I likely won't get any credit. I just want to see it play out for a month and then I'll tell Rolling Energy to disconnect my car.

I see you are in Bergenfield. I am in the next town over!

Reactions: NYHeel
Never heard of RER but have been signed up for off-peak charging with PSEG for about a year. If they want to ping my Juicebox, have at it. The software is a POS.

The problem with PSEG's off-peak charging program is they haven't been able to reliably track the data so my credits (and I'm guessing most others) make no sense so the program is temporarily suspended until they can figure it out. Supposedly credits will be applied retroactively later...but it's PSEG.

Should note the program was updated, maybe September?, so what was a ~10% discount ($0.02/KWH) is now five times better as off-peak charging is now a credit of $0.10/KWH which is approximately half the going rate for supply + delivery through PSEG. If you use a different supplier I believe you only get the old $0.02/KWH.

I just signed up with RER. I too have a ChargePoint home charger, and thought they would just connect to my charger and not my MYLR. Does anyone have any positive experiences with RER? I am in NJ. Thx.
Hey, how has the PSEG off peak credits worked out for you? From reading the PSEG page it looks like you don't need RER if you're using Chargepoint. Has that been the case for you?
Really curious to know if you can avoid the routine car pinging if using Chargepoint.

Looks like the Juicebox is no longer supported by PSEG for off-peak charging, would have been nice to get notified. The Enel X Juicebox and Chargepoint Home Flex, if memory serves, were the only two approved chargers as of a year ago - now one of them is no longer supported. Crazy.

BUT if you now sign-up through RER they will pull the data from the vehicle regardless of which charger is in use. That seems like a better option.

Unfortunately, if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use a Mobile Charger as your level 2, PSEG won't give you any charging credit. It has to be a Wall Connector that can send data to PSEG.

Not a fan of the constant pinging, though. Is this still an issue?

Unfortunately, if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use a Mobile Charger as your level 2, PSEG won't give you any charging credit. It has to be a Wall Connector that can send data to PSEG.

Not a fan of the constant pinging, though. Is this still an issue?
I contacted PSEG and it seems you can now enroll a vehicle directly with Rolling Energy Resources as an alternative to using an approved charger. If you enroll through RER they pull the data directly from the vehicle's telematics. At least that is what they claim.

I've been trying to get off-peak charging credits calculated properly since June 2023 with no luck so far - and that was with an approved EVSE. Now going to try this method. It's pretty ridiculous.

I contacted PSEG and it seems you can now enroll a vehicle directly with Rolling Energy Resources as an alternative to using an approved charger. If you enroll through RER they pull the data directly from the vehicle's telematics. At least that is what they claim.

I've been trying to get off-peak charging credits calculated properly since June 2023 with no luck so far - and that was with an approved EVSE. Now going to try this method. It's pretty ridiculous.
I don't know if I've mentioned this on TMC before, but I enrolled my (former) 2022 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV with my local utility and Rolling Energy Resources in early 2023. From the time I enrolled, I was continually unable to log back into to my Chrysler account or monitor my van using the Chrysler phone app. I tried for several months to regain access to my Chrysler account, but was caught in a vicious loop. Neither RER and Chrysler admitted to understanding the problem, which was simply that after enrolling with RER and giving my Chrysler account credentials to them, I was locked out.

Moving on, in July 2023, I replaced that PHEV van with a Tesla Model Y. I never gave my Tesla username and password to Rolling Energy Resources because I don't trust them, and I did not (and do not) want to risk losing access to my Tesla account and app.

Background: I originally enrolled my (former) PHEV van with my local utility and RER to become eligible for a small bonus payout; the bonus was paid by my utility after a couple of months, but oddly, RER's local rep assured me the bonus would not be paid because she said RER could not login to my Chrysler account. There was just no incentive to re-enroll and connect my new Tesla and go through this again: after all, my utility does not charge extra for EV charging during a certain period of the day. At least not yet, anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Carsly2
My PSEG saga continues. They admit the miscalculation of off-peak charging credits and have now rolled my account back to - wait for it - September 2023. From my account status the last five months have not yet happened. I must be caught in an Avengers-style time loop.

While the Juicebox I have is no longer supported for new installs, it is apparently still supported as a legacy product for the off-peak charging credits. I'm also still enrolled with RER so hopefully at some point in the future they will be able to properly calculate the credits and issue me a bill. The last PSEG bill I've received was over two months ago.

Such a comedy of errors, why offer off-peak charging credits if they have no way of calculating or issuing them?