Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer roll call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya I put on some pretty good mileage - my car will probably be worthless after I put on 120000 km in 3 years..... o well..... live once.

Worthless? Probably not, unless the battery is totally shot. Worth less, you're right. Considering 120,000km is ~75,000 miles I'd certainly hope that the battery still holds a decent charge.

In order to drive that far with 6.5 hour full-charge time, at 200 miles per charge, the owner would have had to spend 1300 hours charging. With the wall-mount unit that's cut roughly in half, but zowie, that's a lot of charging. 3.5 hours a day.

I wonder how healthy, percentage-wise, his pack is after that much driving. For those that don't use the Metric system, 65,000km is just over 40,000 miles.

Ya I put on some pretty good mileage - my car will probably be worthless after I put on 120000 km in 3 years..... o well..... live once.

What do we think a new battery pack would cost? I think it will be less than $30,000, if nothing else than to keep potential Model S customers from running away in panic. With a new battery pack you basically have a brand new drivetrain. Give or take some wear and tear, you've got a new car. I don't know what resale value would be, but that sounds like another 100,000 miles of fun to me.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of my Roadster's delivery.

29260 miles on the odometer.

The PEM was replaced a few months after I got it.
It's failed to run only once, after a rodent chewed on some wires.
A front suspension joint lubrication seal failed and the joint rusted, causing it to squeak. Easy warranty replacement.
The car's firmware has been updated several times, generally improving or fixing little annoyances (from my perspective).
I wish the rear tire durability was better, but it is what it is.

I enjoy owning and driving it now at least as much as the first day I got it.

What do we think a new battery pack would cost? I think it will be less than $30,000, if nothing else than to keep potential Model S customers from running away in panic. With a new battery pack you basically have a brand new drivetrain. Give or take some wear and tear, you've got a new car. I don't know what resale value would be, but that sounds like another 100,000 miles of fun to me.
Since Tesla is using industry-standard cells, I wonder if an aftermarket will crop up through which we could have cells replaced w/ newer, higher-capacity cells using the same form factor? Especially for Roadsters as I doubt Tesla will invest any engineering resources into changing the Roadster pack components since it is nearly EOL. I'd also be interested in upgrading to a Sport motor.

Since Tesla is using industry-standard cells, I wonder if an aftermarket will crop up through which we could have cells replaced w/ newer, higher-capacity cells using the same form factor? Especially for Roadsters as I doubt Tesla will invest any engineering resources into changing the Roadster pack components since it is nearly EOL. I'd also be interested in upgrading to a Sport motor.

Me too. I wonder if they'll offer that at some point. I'd love to upgrade to the Sport motor in a few years.

You left out the most important part: How is the battery doing?

Sorry!

I generally charge it every day starting at 2am, Standard Range mode. During the week, I drive it a minimum of 35 miles, rarely more than 100 miles, per day. Weekends, I drive it a bit more, especially on warm days.

Nowadays, it shows 169 - 171 miles range when I get in it of a morning.

Sorry!

I generally charge it every day starting at 2am, Standard Range mode. During the week, I drive it a minimum of 35 miles, rarely more than 100 miles, per day. Weekends, I drive it a bit more, especially on warm days.

Nowadays, it shows 169 - 171 miles range when I get in it of a morning.

What power level do you use to charge? Full 70A HPC, or less? My own driving pattern is similar to yours and after about 6 months (really a year, but due to carpool I only use the car every other day) charging at 24A (dryer outlet), I still get 189~190 miles.

What power level do you use to charge? Full 70A HPC, or less? My own driving pattern is similar to yours and after about 6 months (really a year, but due to carpool I only use the car every other day) charging at 24A (dryer outlet), I still get 189~190 miles.

32A. I've got an HPC, with the capacity to charge it at 70A, but I rarely use it. At 32A, recharging after my normal daily commute takes about 90 minutes.

@dwegmull: I've NEVER got 189-190 miles. Did I get a bad ESS? Best has been 185 achieved twice in a year. On the other hand there is also a known problem with my car where it almost never shows green on the charge port after charging, and it always stops 3-5% below the battery bar being full. How close to full does the battery bar show on yours when you achieve 189-190?

After 14 months and 12,500 miles I still get 189 miles ideal range in standard mode every day. Charging at 40 amps on a 50 amp line.
ONe of the fun things for me -- I live 5 miles and about 2,000 feet above Boulder. When I drive down the hill in the morning, I most always have
189 miles left when I get there. Regen rules.

Last edited:
To those of you showing 190 miles range after a full standard charge - when was your last firmware update? I got 189-191 regularly until my last firmware update a few months ago, now it is typically 175ish. (A bit over 20,000 miles)

My understanding is Tesla changed the way ideal range is calculated as the battery pack ages, which I believe is more accurate. I remember it always used to feel the first 20 miles of range came off twice as fast as normal. Now it's more predictable and accurate.

I live 5 miles and about 2,000 feet above Boulder. When I drive down the hill in the morning, I most always have
189 miles left when I get there. Regen rules.
#Webbie - What you need it a tank of 200-300l. you can fill it up where you live. If you are in Boulder, empty it before returning. You may never need to recharge your battery-pack again.
How many liters is the Roadster trunk? Without losses, 300 liters of water at 2000 feet gives you 1.79 MJ or about 0.5 kWh.

To those of you showing 190 miles range after a full standard charge - when was your last firmware update? I got 189-191 regularly until my last firmware update a few months ago, now it is typically 175ish. (A bit over 20,000 miles)

My understanding is Tesla changed the way ideal range is calculated as the battery pack ages, which I believe is more accurate. I remember it always used to feel the first 20 miles of range came off twice as fast as normal. Now it's more predictable and accurate.
I've only had my car since December 2010 but I started out around 189 ideal miles with firmware 4.5 and now have aronud 187-188 with 4.5.1 after 2000 miles.