Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ODBC port , 12v port , confused again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered it with Enhanced Autopilot and am really looking forward to using it. I've very comfortable with cruise control systems and this, as you say, will be fun!
You'll like it. It gives one the full Monty on limited access highways: Lane switching on its own (with or without warnings.. I like the warnings, which are audible/tactile), will go from an off-ramp on one interstate to another interstate. On long trips, it's great. My SO got her 2021 MY without EAP; we rented it for a trip to Boston, then decided to buy it permanently. It actually makes one's trips on interstates safer; it won't hit somebody in one's blind spot, period.

One does have to keep one's hands on the steering wheel and apply changing torque and must keep eyes looking out the windshield. My approach is to supervise and look for Maniacs, full time.

One can run EAP on local roads, to some extent, but it's not really designed to do that. I think EAP will come to a halt at any light, green or red, unless one confirms with a boink on the shift lever. Once stopped, one has to "boink" again to get started when the light turns green. The interesting exception is if one is in TACC/LK and actively following the car in front of one, if that car goes through a light, the car will, too. FSD will actually do city streets, but it's like a somewhat brain-dead student driver: It will occasionally do Really Stupid Things, sometimes not all the time, and it doesn't learn, outside of FSD software point releases and/or map updates.. I think you'll get a one-month trial of the software when you get the car.

If you decide to try the trial, you'll have to acknowledge Tesla's absolutely correct dire warnings about Paying Attention, including the phrase, "The car will do the wrong thing at the worst time." (Their words, that's a quote.) Having said that, it's pretty amazing technology. When it works. Which, these days, is most, but not all the time.

You'll like it. It gives one the full Monty on limited access highways: Lane switching on its own (with or without warnings.. I like the warnings, which are audible/tactile), will go from an off-ramp on one interstate to another interstate. On long trips, it's great. My SO got her 2021 MY without EAP; we rented it for a trip to Boston, then decided to buy it permanently. It actually makes one's trips on interstates safer; it won't hit somebody in one's blind spot, period.

One does have to keep one's hands on the steering wheel and apply changing torque and must keep eyes looking out the windshield. My approach is to supervise and look for Maniacs, full time.

One can run EAP on local roads, to some extent, but it's not really designed to do that. I think EAP will come to a halt at any light, green or red, unless one confirms with a boink on the shift lever. Once stopped, one has to "boink" again to get started when the light turns green. The interesting exception is if one is in TACC/LK and actively following the car in front of one, if that car goes through a light, the car will, too. FSD will actually do city streets, but it's like a somewhat brain-dead student driver: It will occasionally do Really Stupid Things, sometimes not all the time, and it doesn't learn, outside of FSD software point releases and/or map updates.. I think you'll get a one-month trial of the software when you get the car.

If you decide to try the trial, you'll have to acknowledge Tesla's absolutely correct dire warnings about Paying Attention, including the phrase, "The car will do the wrong thing at the worst time." (Their words, that's a quote.) Having said that, it's pretty amazing technology. When it works. Which, these days, is most, but not all the time.
No way I'd use that on city streets, but I can't wait to play with it on highways. Being a techie and long time car freak (enthusiast?), it's right up my alley (not that I'd use it in an alley 🤓 ).

No way I'd use that on city streets, but I can't wait to play with it on highways. Being a techie and long time car freak (enthusiast?), it's right up my alley (not that I'd use it in an alley 🤓 ).
My suggestion: Play with your paid-for EAP for a week until you get the hang of it. (It's not hard to get the hang of it, but it'll be a New Experience with you hanging onto the steering while while the car moves into a different lane. If you hang on too hard, it disengages, so, fun!)

Once you've gotten that far, enable FSD, read the directions, heed the warnings and go for it. Once you've got FSD enabled, on the Autopilot control panel, there'll be a triplet of buttons at the top. From left to right, these are:
  1. Traffic Aware Cruise Control. (Standard cruise control: Everybody gets this on their Teslas these days.)
  2. Lane Keep. (When you've got EAP and this is enabled, well, it's EAP. Includes #1.)
  3. Full Self Driving. (What it says on the tin. Includes #1 & #2.)
Only one of the three can be enabled at a time. There's an option somewhere that you can enable FSD each time you start the car or not. You can only get into FSD if the car is stopped and in park, but you can actually switch out of it by selecting Lane Keep, while driving, even.

Just so we're clear: You get into #1, #2, or #3 when you're in Drive and then push the shift lever rapidly down twice. You get out of it by pushing down once.

So, when you're happy or at least used to EAP, try FSD, Preferably when there's not much traffic out. You'll likely get the 11.3.X release with the new car; it's notably jerky on the steering wheel on local left and right turns, but does the job, and is a heck of a lot less risky than the 10.x variants and such that predated it. It's a student driver, so you must keep an eye on it, no reading books.

After a week, you'll likely get your first software update. That's not just for the Autopilot stuff, but other user interface, driving characteristics, games, and a map update. Along with that you'll likely get 11.4.4, which is notably smoother on the turns. Fewer mistakes than 11.3.x (or earlier).

Finally: In my experience, I've never had a situation where FSD did something stupid and gave me no time to take over. There's always been time, even when the car on an earlier release was trying to run a red light. (First in line at a red light, with cross-traffic and, yup, it tried to start up and cross the street, with traffic going back and forth.) On 11.4.4 the car can go ten or twenty miles, with the right phase of the moon, with no interventions. I routinely go back and forth between New Jersey and Boston without much hassle, and that includes going back and forth across the George Washington Bridge and NYC. (But on those latter two it's not unusual to Take Over when FSD's smarts, or lack thereof, runs out of steam 😁.

My suggestion: Play with your paid-for EAP for a week until you get the hang of it. (It's not hard to get the hang of it, but it'll be a New Experience with you hanging onto the steering while while the car moves into a different lane. If you hang on too hard, it disengages, so, fun!)

Once you've gotten that far, enable FSD, read the directions, heed the warnings and go for it. Once you've got FSD enabled, on the Autopilot control panel, there'll be a triplet of buttons at the top. From left to right, these are:
  1. Traffic Aware Cruise Control. (Standard cruise control: Everybody gets this on their Teslas these days.)
  2. Lane Keep. (When you've got EAP and this is enabled, well, it's EAP. Includes #1.)
  3. Full Self Driving. (What it says on the tin. Includes #1 & #2.)
Only one of the three can be enabled at a time. There's an option somewhere that you can enable FSD each time you start the car or not. You can only get into FSD if the car is stopped and in park, but you can actually switch out of it by selecting Lane Keep, while driving, even.

Just so we're clear: You get into #1, #2, or #3 when you're in Drive and then push the shift lever rapidly down twice. You get out of it by pushing down once.

So, when you're happy or at least used to EAP, try FSD, Preferably when there's not much traffic out. You'll likely get the 11.3.X release with the new car; it's notably jerky on the steering wheel on local left and right turns, but does the job, and is a heck of a lot less risky than the 10.x variants and such that predated it. It's a student driver, so you must keep an eye on it, no reading books.

After a week, you'll likely get your first software update. That's not just for the Autopilot stuff, but other user interface, driving characteristics, games, and a map update. Along with that you'll likely get 11.4.4, which is notably smoother on the turns. Fewer mistakes than 11.3.x (or earlier).

Finally: In my experience, I've never had a situation where FSD did something stupid and gave me no time to take over. There's always been time, even when the car on an earlier release was trying to run a red light. (First in line at a red light, with cross-traffic and, yup, it tried to start up and cross the street, with traffic going back and forth.) On 11.4.4 the car can go ten or twenty miles, with the right phase of the moon, with no interventions. I routinely go back and forth between New Jersey and Boston without much hassle, and that includes going back and forth across the George Washington Bridge and NYC. (But on those latter two it's not unusual to Take Over when FSD's smarts, or lack thereof, runs out of steam 😁.
Hey Tronguy - thanks for the tips. Now I'm REALLY psyched to pick up the car!

You are absolutely correct. Sorry, I'm getting old and forgetful. It's OBD-II that is required in the US. And that is what the adapter I suggested, will create in some Tesla's. It fit my 2022 MYLR just fine, but on some models the connectors aren't available, so make sure the adapter you get is specified to work with your Tesla.
Can you tell me where can I plug in my OBD-II Plug in 2022 Model S?

Can you tell me where can I plug in my OBD-II Plug in 2022 Model S?
Sorry, have no clue about Model S. If you check out the link to the adapter I posted, possibly if 2022 Model S doesn't have OBD-II, then maybe that vendor also has an adapter that will fit an S if it needs one?

Here is an interesting related thread, but I don't see it really answering your question.
OBD-II

Last edited: