Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ODBC port , 12v port , confused again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three questions from an expectant model Y owner ( delivery date hopefully early November, at least that's the best estimate given by Dr. Tesla ):

1. Is there an OBDC port in the 2023 model Y? I have a T-Mobile SynchUp drive which connects to an OBDC port to provide in-car wireless via cell from my trade in vehicle. It is a SWEET device that works very well and I really want to put it in the Tesla. IS there an OBDC port in my upcoming baby or any way I can somehow connect it in? I'm willing to sacrifice its belly button if necessary.

2. Where is the 12v connector located?

3. Where is the 12v diagnostic port and how is it used & what for?

TIA,
Expectant Dad

Three questions from an expectant model Y owner ( delivery date hopefully early November, at least that's the best estimate given by Dr. Tesla ):

1. Is there an OBDC port in the 2023 model Y? I have a T-Mobile SynchUp drive which connects to an OBDC port to provide in-car wireless via cell from my trade in vehicle. It is a SWEET device that works very well and I really want to put it in the Tesla. IS there an OBDC port in my upcoming baby or any way I can somehow connect it in? I'm willing to sacrifice its belly button if necessary.

2. Where is the 12v connector located?

3. Where is the 12v diagnostic port and how is it used & what for?

TIA,
Expectant Dad

I believe you will want to start with checking with T-Mobile to see if this device is compatible. When I googled it, and went to T-Mobiles site, It says "compatible with most GASOLINE cars" and Tesla model 3 and Y are not listed at all. Tesla model S and X say "may not work with features, not tested with these cars".

So, yes, there is an ODBC port in a model Y, but you need to talk to T mobile to see if it is going to work (my guess is "no").

And, not only that: If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) newer Teslas are coming with nominal 12V NIMH batteries, rather than lead-acid ones. I know that my newly acquired 2023 M3 has one. These batteries run at a nominal 14V. The car's manual (and reports around here) indicate that there exists some hardware that's not compatible. Dunno if something one plugs into an OBD port would have an issue with that 14V or not.. but apparently some DC->120 VAC converters do have problems.

Further.. Just checked T-Mobile's web site on compatibility. They list the Models X and S for 2023 as being compatible; no Tesla for 2022; the Model S for 2021; and the full lineup (X, S, 3, and Y) for 2020. And they also state that, for the Model 3, that it hasn't been tested and it's unknown what features would be available.

Actually.. for the X and S, if one selects those cars for 2023 in the compatibility chart, nothing car-related is available. You get the hot spot, I guess, and that's it.

Um. For a Model Y, you do realize that there's a user-accessible service level menu on the front screen from which practically anything that this widget can theoretically access can be seen? Tire pressures, in particular.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I believe you will want to start with checking with T-Mobile to see if this device is compatible. When I googled it, and went to T-Mobiles site, It says "compatible with most GASOLINE cars" and Tesla model 3 and Y are not listed at all. Tesla model S and X say "may not work with features, not tested with these cars".

So, yes, there is an ODBC port in a model Y, but you need to talk to T mobile to see if it is going to work (my guess is "no").
NUTS. Thanks for checking, and I will follow through with T-Mobile, but that's crazy if it doesn't.

I got this at the same time I trialed their in home cellular wireless which was horrifically slow, so I cancelled it. But this more than made up for that. I'll be very sad if I have to cancel this too.

Thanks - Richard

And, not only that: If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) newer Teslas are coming with nominal 12V NIMH batteries, rather than lead-acid ones. I know that my newly acquired 2023 M3 has one. These batteries run at a nominal 12V. The car's manual (and reports around here) indicate that there exists some hardware that's not compatible. Dunno if something one plugs into an OBD port would have an issue with that 14V or not.. but apparently some DC->120 VAC converters do have problems.
I'm looking at the 12v port to power a WOLFBOX G840S 12" 4K Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera because the Toyota Venza I'm trading in comes with that feature built in and it's really excellent. As wonderful as Teslas are, the stock rear view mirror is pretty awful in comparison.

Thanks - Richard

Where is the port located? If I just plugged the SynchUp drive in to see if it works, might that damage anything?

I'm looking at the 12v port to power a WOLFBOX G840S 12" 4K Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera because the Toyota Venza I'm trading in comes with that feature built in and it's really excellent. As wonderful as Teslas are, the stock rear view mirror is pretty awful in comparison.

Thanks - Richard
Um. The rear view camera, when active, covers a substantial amount of that big screen in front. Further, with a little moving the image up with one's finger, one gets both side repeater views visible as well when backing up. And a view on the rear view mirror is better than that?

Um. The rear view camera, when active, covers a substantial amount of that big screen in front. Further, with a little moving the image up with one's finger, one gets both side repeater views visible as well when backing up. And a view on the rear view mirror is better than that?
Gotcha. The problem is that I understand that if I keep the rearview camera ON while driving, much of the touchscreen functionality is unavailable. So while the Wolfbox camera/mirror combo is admittedly nothing like the big screen display, it should give me what I need with full use of all the touchscreen features.

Gotcha. The problem is that I understand that if I keep the rearview camera ON while driving, much of the touchscreen functionality is unavailable. So while the Wolfbox camera/mirror combo is admittedly nothing like the big screen display, it should give me what I need with full use of all the touchscreen features.

What actually is the driver for you to order a Tesla? You have mentioned your current car several times in several threads, talked about how much you like it, and are trying to replicate features from it in this car.

If there is nothing wrong with it, what is the driver to purchase something different?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ami-Sven
ODBC II ports are required in the US. Apparently, the connector configuration is not specified. So Tesla has one, but with a goofy connector. You can get one of These which will work with most insurance nannys, etc. I have one which has done just fine.
This seems to indicate that modern Tesla model Ys may not have that port as they may have gotten approval to delete it:

No idea how accurate that is, but it sounds like something Tesla would do, since the port was originally for Testing centers.

@Richard__G If it has one it would be at the back of the center console, where its basically facing the back seat passengers (under some stuff). I dont know if it still has one though, and with the amount of things you are trying to replicate from your current ride, you might want to think about how important that stuff is as I dont think you are going to be doing much of that stuff.

What actually is the driver for you to order a Tesla? You have mentioned your current car several times in several threads, talked about how much you like it, and are trying to replicate features from it in this car.

If there is nothing wrong with it, what is the driver to purchase something different?
Three reasons:
  1. Well, I test drove one. Instant addiction.
  2. And, as much as I love the Venza, there's no way to add a roof rack - no custom place will even touch it. I do woodworking in my retirement and need to carry wood, and my wife is not happy having a rack on her car. And since I can get one with the Y, that's a big plus.
  3. Plus, my Toyota dealer was bought out by a much larger dealership, and the service and customer support has tanked. Even the sales people are not returning calls.
Need I say more? :cool:

Good question though.

NUTS. Thanks for checking, and I will follow through with T-Mobile, but that's crazy if it doesn't.

I got this at the same time I trialed their in home cellular wireless which was horrifically slow, so I cancelled it. But this more than made up for that. I'll be very sad if I have to cancel this too.

Thanks - Richard
I just got off the line with T-Mobile tech support and they basically said: "We dunno, not tested with your model." Reasonable. So, I guess I'll do the testing, especially if this device mentioned by legendsk can bridge the gap. If I can get this working, I will let y'all know. It's really great to have your own hotspot and only costs $9.99/mo. This would be super cool.

This seems to indicate that modern Tesla model Ys may not have that port as they may have gotten approval to delete it:

No idea how accurate that is, but it sounds like something Tesla would do, since the port was originally for Testing centers.

@Richard__G If it has one it would be at the back of the center console, where its basically facing the back seat passengers (under some stuff). I dont know if it still has one though, and with the amount of things you are trying to replicate from your current ride, you might want to think about how important that stuff is as I dont think you are going to be doing much of that stuff.
Is it reasonable to assume that the 12v power port is separate from the testing port and that they're located in different places? If so, then I guess I'd be ok?

So.. we have both a MY and a M3 over here. While neither car will win major awards about the view out the rear, the MY especially so, it’s adequate. Further, the car can be rigged so when the turn signal is on, the rear facing repeater camera on the side to which one is turning goes on. Not useful when turning left or right at an intersection, but plenty good to cover blind spots to the left or right on highways.

Not sure if you’re going for any of the automation, but in EAP or FSD on highways the car has the capability, when in lane keep/TACC mode, to switch lanes either on its own, with permission, or directed by hitting the turn signal. And, very definitely, won’t move into a lane if somebody’s either in the blind spot or is moving up quickly so it Will Be. Fun. You’ll get a trial of this when you get the car.

ODBC II ports are required in the US. Apparently, the connector configuration is not specified. So Tesla has one, but with a goofy connector. You can get one of These which will work with most insurance nannys, etc. I have one which has done just fine.
Was implied in 2012 at Logging data from Leaf's OBD II port - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum that an OBD II port isn't required on cars that don't have combustion engines.

Folks with Model S built after Sept 2015 apparently had some non-standard connector and thus had to make adapters like Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.. (Don't reply to garygid expecting an answer, he passed away :(: Gary Giddings - My Nissan Leaf Forum)

"ODBC II" isn't a car standard that I know of. There is ODBC which is Open Database Connectivity...

The 3 and Y do not have a native OBD-II port, but there are cables available to add one inside the rear center console, once you remove the lower panel. This does not require any modification to the car, just disconnecting two existing connectors and plugging in the OBD-II cable. This will get you 12V (actually more like 16V in the newer cars with the LFP LV battery) and access to the CAN bus that some dongles can use to read quite a bit of car data. Incidentally this is also how the S3XY buttons gain access to the car. Warning though, the Austin-built Y's with the structural packs don't have this place to tap in.

There are two versions of these cables available because Tesla changed the connectors at some point in 2019, but the newer one is very easy to find on eBay, etc. Just search for "tesla model y obd cable" or similar.

Reactions: Richard__G
Was implied in 2012 at Logging data from Leaf's OBD II port - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum that an OBD II port isn't required on cars that don't have combustion engines.

Folks with Model S built after Sept 2015 apparently had some non-standard connector and thus had to make adapters like Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.. (Don't reply to garygid expecting an answer, he passed away :(: Gary Giddings - My Nissan Leaf Forum)

"ODBC II" isn't a car standard that I know of. There is ODBC which is Open Database Connectivity...

You are absolutely correct. Sorry, I'm getting old and forgetful. It's OBD-II that is required in the US. And that is what the adapter I suggested, will create in some Tesla's. It fit my 2022 MYLR just fine, but on some models the connectors aren't available, so make sure the adapter you get is specified to work with your Tesla.