Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long pressing the ‘P’ button engages the ‘Emergency Brake’ as a safety backup for when the hydraulic system fails. Like ‘Parking Brake’ the same set of brakes are used to stop the car by way of small electric motors rather than hydraulics (e.g. foot pedal). The whirrling whine you hear upon engagement are those little motors working away. This is normally targeted for when the car is in motion, but there’s no reason why it can’t be invoked while stopped.

Systematically there is no difference between ‘Parking Brake’ vs. ‘Emergency Brake’ for the Model 3. It is of my opinion that Tesla has a minor user interface inconsistency which can be addressed by also displaying the ‘Parking Brake’ icon when it is automatically engaged at ‘P’. This is how it works with most any other cars, ICE or not.

p.s. You might notice a faint click when trying to engage ‘Emergency Brake’ after parked. That is from the same set of motors trying to engage the brake pads, but unable to do so any further.

Michael's Tesla Tips.png

I've collected this tip, and others, from a variety of sources and did so as much for myself as others. I hope you can get some benefit. For more Tesla Tips visit: http://teslatips.mptpro.com

View attachment 374866

I've collected this tip, and others, from a variety of sources and did so as much for myself as others. I hope you can get some benefit. For more Tesla Tips visit: http://teslatips.mptpro.com

Thanks for sending this. My favorite is resting my wrist in the lower left opening of the steering wheel. Admittedly it's not as safe as hands on the wheel, but I pair it with very active road monitoring and feel it's even safer than zoning out like many drivers.

Reactions: Brisket5652
Long pressing the ‘P’ button engages the ‘Emergency Brake’ as a safety backup for when the hydraulic system fails.

The user guide for the 3 makes no mention of this that I can find. The guide states the following:

"When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating"

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
The user guide for the 3 makes no mention of this that I can find. The guide states the following:

"When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating"

Correct. Tesla failed to mentioned what I termed 'Emergency Brake' (an oversight?) -- not to be confused with emergency auto braking to minimize collisions, which Tesla referred to as 'Emergency Braking'. I know confusing. It'd been better had I called it 'Manual Brake', which likens pulling the old school manual brake lever or small foot pedal during an emergency while moving or stopped.

None-the-less, Long pressing 'P' does in fact activate the rear brakes electronically even when the vehicle is in motion. This is consistent with the operation of other car manufacturer also equipped with electronic brake actuators and typically termed 'emergency brake' in that mode of operation.

Give it a whirl if you get a chance out in the open and safe area. Be advised there's no one behind you before attempting.

• Informative
Reactions: RunMadM3
None-the-less, Long pressing 'P' does in fact activate the rear brakes electronically even when the vehicle is in motion. This is consistent with the operation of other car manufacturer also equipped with electronic brake actuators and typically termed 'emergency brake' in that mode of operation.

That is both interesting and very useful to know!

I feel like an idiot for missing this despite multiple readings of the manual, but I just discovered that the headlights turn on automatically if the wipers are triggered. Sure enough, I see this in the manual now (page 53):

Note: When you operate the wipers, the headlights automatically turn on (if they were not on already).

I feel like an idiot for missing this despite multiple readings of the manual, but I just discovered that the headlights turn on automatically if the wipers are triggered. Sure enough, I see this in the manual now (page 53):

Note: When you operate the wipers, the headlights automatically turn on (if they were not on already).

It's been like that since the beginning. I understand why it's programmed like that because headlights are supposed to be on if wipers are going per traffic laws in many states, but when they come on in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer when you're trying to just clean the windshield it's annoying. Before I knew the lights came on with the wipers, I actually caused confusion at a 4-way stop sign a couple of times cleaning my windshield while waiting my turn because the other cars thought I was signalling them.

It's been like that since the beginning. I understand why it's programmed like that because headlights are supposed to be on if wipers are going per traffic laws in many states, but when they come on in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer when you're trying to just clean the windshield it's annoying. Before I knew the lights came on with the wipers, I actually caused confusion at a 4-way stop sign a couple of times cleaning my windshield while waiting my turn because the other cars thought I was signalling them.

I like the fact they turn on (would always have to manually turn on on my old car), but also annoyed it turns on when using the spray (given the choice, I prefer having both than getting neither).

Mental note:. Do not use spray at 4-way stop signs!

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Not sure if this one’s been posted. When in Autosteer if it’s not going fast enough because of a map speed limit error, you can step on the excelerator to help it along. You will need to keep your foot on it to maintain your desired speed.

while this is true- be aware TACC won't slow the car if it sees something ahead of you if you are pressing the accelerator

The one I found out about, which was only a couple of days ago in a thread where I talked about my (now convoluted) process to stop charging at a J1772 station, is that you can simply push the latch on the charging handle for 1 or 2 seconds and everything disconnects and unlocks naturally. I used to manually stop the charging session by the ChargePoint or Tesla app.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Yonki and Dr. J
while this is true- be aware TACC won't slow the car if it sees something ahead of you if you are pressing the accelerator
It will try. Yesterday when it was needing to slow down for a turn it tried to slow down while I was pressing the accelerator. It even gave the warning that both pedals were being pressed at the same time. (1 by me and the other by the computer)

Good to know...didn't think about them coming on with just a one wipe press.