Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting and love the reaction by Elon. Too bad it wasn't after the 4Q report so he could have pumped out some numbers like "we have 5,000 customers driving their cars right now and they're not being flatbedded home" etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

CNBC says they're going to try to get the NYT report on the air...

Elon did a phone interview with CNBC. A good one I think.
Journalist have driven over speed limit. Over 10mph over limits.
He also took detour to Manhattan(?)
And he was explicitly told to fully charge the car, but failed to do it.

CNBC will air journalist side of the story later on, also interviewing him by phone.

3) elonmusk: Tesla data logging is only turned on with explicit written permission from customers, but after Top Gear BS, we always keep it on for media.

Paper giving permission to do this (at all times) is part of the paperwork we sign when we complete the purchase of the vehicle, btw. It didn't bother me, but I wonder if anyone has refused to sign it.

Elon just called in to CNBC. Nothing too earth shattering. The main claims were the reported took an "extended drive" through Manhattan on the way to the 2nd supercharger, drove above the speed limit (contrary to Tesla's recommendations), and did not fully charge the car at each super charger. Will be interesting to read the details in the blog post later today.

Elon did a phone interview. A good one I think.

CNBC will air journalist side of the story later on, also interviewing him by phone.

yeah - he basically said:
it wasn't fully charged when they started and they detoured through Manhattan and drove faster than speed limit;
Tesla had warned them Superchargers aren't currently spaced to handle anything but full charging without detouring;
He was inclined to think it was purposely designed to run out of charge - careful not to associate with all NY Times, but this reporter/article only

Exactly my point. If Tesla can replicate the Model S down to a $20,000 market all's fine....

And next week I shall be calling Lamborghini and asking if I can take one of their cars (not a tractor) and attempt the Paris Dakar rally in it.....

And therein lies the problem with battery swap. The large Tesla sedan. the smaller 20,000 dollar car and the Lambo (or the tracker ) will all take batteries of different sizes, weights and mounting.

The idea of stocking all these disparate battery boxes in a facility and the machines that can unlatch and reconnect is where the swap idea does not scale to the future.

yeah - he basically said:
it wasn't fully charged when they started and they detoured through Manhattan and drove faster than speed limit;
Tesla had warned them Superchargers aren't currently spaced to handle anything but full charging without detouring;
He was inclined to think it was purposely designed to run out of charge - careful not to associate with all NY Times, but this reporter/article only

He also said anyone doing the same in an ICE car would be a fool. Maria agreed with that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.