Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one with an CNBC username needs to tell this person straight. Here's the link to the page: Elon Musk on CNBC: NYTimes Report on Tesla Range in Cold Is

jescott418 | Feb 11, 2013 03:31 PM ET

The problem with these so called engineers is as long as it looks good on paper they think it will work. I read the article and I do not know of too many people who would put up with those kinds of problems. The Tesla is an expensive car and frankly you would have to be an idiot to want that stress. Its why electric cars are going nowhere fast.

Seems like instead of writing "I didn't feel like waiting so long for a full charge" he decided to not do a full charge, because "I had to be flatbedded home" would be much more dramatic.

Most of this was already apparent from the blog already. With the range numbers after charging it was clear the reporter wasn't using Range charge and at the second charge stop he didn't even get a full 'standard' charge.

2837510_o.gif

...The Tesla is an expensive car and frankly you would have to be an idiot to want that stress. Its why electric cars are going nowhere fast.

Agreed, amazing how much work the reporter needed to do to run down the range. I hope he recovers;)
I on the other hand have been free of vehicle related stress since I stepped into the future 18 weeks ago when I took delivery of my Model S

He also said anyone doing the same in an ICE car would be a fool. Maria agreed with that statement.

I couldn't agree more. Journalists are supposed to reflect the world around them in writing, and instead they've gotten into the habit of creating stories where none exist. Once a writer's choices becomes a part of the story they're practicing a very different discipline.

... but it's too late for this to be anything more than a momentary setback in public perception. There are too many owners out there whose personal experiences will be told to friends, family, co-workers, etc. The reality of ownership blew away the vague fears that lingered for me.

From the cnbc page

Tesla Motors
CEO Elon Musk told CNBC on Monday that a recent New York Times article claiming that cold weather cuts the mileage on the company's electric car is bogus.
"Essentially, we think the article is a bit of a set up and is unreasonable," Musk said.

During a test drive chronicled in the New York Times article, the charge on the Tesla Model S was not enough to reach the next charging station on his journey up Interstate 95 to Boston.
But Musk told CNBC that after downloading the vehicle logs following the test drive, "it showed in fact (the author) had not charged up to the maximum charge in the car. It's like starting off a drive with a tank that's not full."
And instead of driving to the next Supercharger station to recharge the car, the drive took an extensive detour through Manhattan and drove at speeds which decreased the car's range, Musk said.
In response, to Musk's charges that the article was misleading, the New York Times issued a statement, calling the article completely factual.
"Any suggestion that the account was 'fake' is, of course, flatly untrue," the statement said. "Our reporter followed the instructions he was given in multiple conversations with Tesla personnel. He described the entire drive in the story; there was no unreported detour. And he was never told to plug the car in overnight in cold weather, despite repeated contact with Tesla."

I guess there will always be those who strand themselves through inattention, and perhaps there's room for improvement on that front. I wonder how much cost it would add to a vehicle to allow car-to-car "supercharging?" Drive a car with a full charge to one that is dangerously low, connect a cable between the two, and equalize their charge? You can already draw more than enough current from the battery to match the 90kW draw for rapid charging and there's a handy external port on the car designed to enable DC, bypassing the AC chargers...

I think it's amazing that people can't understand this transition. I'm sure just like when gas powered cars came out, people were trying to mislead people and say you could get stuck somewhere, so your best bet is to use a horse. Well, obviously things progressed. Now it's time for EV's to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.