Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not sticking HOV stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the HOV sticker for CA in the glove box for a while. I could not have heart to put them on the shiny bumper. What would happen if cop pulls you and show him? Did anybody experience something similar ?

Secondly when the toll roads say HOV only during some busy time, is it OK to drive if you have stickers?

...experience...

I haven't heard but by law, the stickers must be placed on correctly. I assume uniformity is needed for the ease of identification and ease of enforcement. By not complying to that uniformity, the identification and enforcement are impaired which do not help in a defense against a fine.

...OK to drive if you have stickers?

I assume you are asking about Toll Roads such as "FasTrack," "Express Lanes"... where HOV stickers are not enough to avoid ticketing. You'll need a transponder in addition to HOV stickers.

This worked for lots of people for a long time because all Teslas were eligible for the HOV lanes in CA. With the changes starting next year that's no longer the case, so I expect enforcement will necessarily shift to "has sticker displayed".

i got pulled over once. he gave me a fix it ticket after lecturing about not having them on. and yes, they look at the sticker date of issue so the whole "i just got these stickers and haven't put them on yet" excuse doesn't fly.

anyway i never got anything else in the mail so i believe he ended up throwing it out. but it was a wake up call so getting pulled over worked. i ended up putting the rear bumper white sticker on the Model S (on the black valance) and i will be putting all FOUR of the new ugly Red stickers on the model X soon. just not worth the hassle of inviting looks from police. btw, he did pull up next to me side by side and looked in the rear seats to see if i had any children back there.

i got pulled over once. he gave me a fix it ticket after lecturing about not having them on. and yes, they look at the sticker date of issue so the whole "i just got these stickers and haven't put them on yet" excuse doesn't fly.

anyway i never got anything else in the mail so i believe he ended up throwing it out. but it was a wake up call so getting pulled over worked. i ended up putting the rear bumper white sticker on the Model S (on the black valance) and i will be putting all FOUR of the new ugly Red stickers on the model X soon. just not worth the hassle of inviting looks from police. btw, he did pull up next to me side by side and looked in the rear seats to see if i had any children back there.
Problem < Solution

Last edited: