Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northwest Tesla Auto Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AllState does cover Tesla. I have coverage from them just fine. My price for Model S (85, not D, not P) is $1388 for 1 year. We are in 40s, no "teen" drivers etc. NO rental coverage (I got other car, fortunately), $500 deductible for collision, $100 for comprehensive deductible, 500k Bodily/100k property coverage.

Spoke with a local agent's office today, I guess the person I spoke to on the phone earlier ran down a list of cars they won't insure and saw Tesla Roadster and told me they won't insure a Tesla. Waiting for an updated quote tomorrow.

Final numbers, I'll probably end out going with Safeco. Some of these quotes do have multiline discounts for home and umbrella insurance.

Allied$2,100.00
Allstate *$3,014.00
Costco (Ameriprise)$2,320.00
Esurance$1,728.00
Geico$2,600.00
Mutual of Enumclaw$2,900.00
Nationwide *$2,370.00
Progressive$2,360.00
Safeco *$1,440.00
State Farm$2,202.00
* Has new(er) car replacement

Allstate MAY cover your Tesla. By default, they do not cover Tesla models with new customers. This is because it is expensive, not because of high performance. Talking to an old friend who also happens to work for Allstate, he told me this holds true for covering many expensive cars. Seems they have issues covering cars over $100K, and won't cover cars over $140K in value.
My Allstate agent could get me covered on a 90D, but not a P90DL. This was due to the price of the car, and that I have been an Allstate customer for 25 years.

Probably less hassle to just take business elsewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: melindav
Hey all, been off posting for a while though latest quote for renewal from Safeco is troubling me, and I'm trying to disambiguate reality from BS. Found this thread as closest to discussion and so am bumping it back up.

Background:
Couple of 40s drivers, each with 20+ years clean driving record until last summer.
Vehicles: P85d, 18mo 2500hd diesel truck (for towing), 35' RV trailer, highlander Hybrid

Only difference from my side was I got a 9 over ticket going up Steven's pass WB. Decided to take the ticket rather than 2 years of worst traffic probation in WA (Chelan has it that any traffic violation breaks probation, unlike King county). Plus was told this wouldn't affect insurance rates much...

First insurance renewal is March and rate has gone up 50% (yes, five...zero). "Displeased" I called Safeco and was told this was in part due to losing "violation-free" discount, though also to a significant rate increase in WA state. Although I have a couple of other vehicles, and felt the $2.3 previously was significant - this appears crazy.
Anyone else being affected by this, or am I being taken for a ride and should take my loyalty elsewhere? I hear PEMCO being recommended a lot...

Thanks, Mike

Though I do not have a Tesla yet, I switched to State Farm from Geico partially due to their estimated rates of coverage on a Model S for me (and also I now get Auto/Renter's/Life insurance for less than just Auto was costing me from Geico).

Geico wanted 1600/6mo compared to the ~700/6mo State Farm quoted me.
Tesla Coverage.PNG

Though I do not have a Tesla yet, I switched to State Farm from Geico partially due to their estimated rates of coverage on a Model S for me (and also I now get Auto/Renter's/Life insurance for less than just Auto was costing me from Geico).

View attachment 213708

That's comparable to what I have with State Farm, also.

View attachment 213708

That was also with a standing speeding ticket from outside E-Burg, and that I am early 30s.

Thanks for the response. That's not too far off from PEMCO too, State Farm was actually a little higher. Looking like I'll be switching over. Interestingly, upping the liability to 500 was minimal difference and enabled a cheap 1M umbrella policy that'll help cover snow mobiles and other toys ;)

Pemco is worth some premium because of how well they actually treat their customers if a claim happens. I have a friend that runs a body shop and he says Pemco, Chubb, Fireman’s Fund, and Mutual of Enumclaw are the tops. From being hit by other drivers over the years, I can confirm that State Farm, Allstate, and Geico all leave something to be desired. State Farm would rather believe that I reversed into someone at me at a stop light than got rear ended because it would save them money.

Not that it matters because personal situations vary so much, but I pay $788 a year for our 90D Model X with Pemco and $1K deductibles. Ameriprise via Costco was under $650.

Reactions: MikeBur
I will be taking delivery on a Tesla Model S 80D in late March. I have checked with my current auto insurance carrier, only to learn that they do not have Tesla on their insurable list. So, I am going to have to seek other sources.
It occurred to me that possibly someone here with the Tesla Motors Club in the Northwest might have some good counsel for me.

I live in San Diego. AAA insures Tesla vehicles in this area. I have no knowledge regarding the NW.

Scannerman

View attachment 213708

Your insurance looks insufficient to me. If an uninsured driver hits you and totals your Tesla they will only pay you $25k. Same thing if for some reason you hit someone else's expensive car, you are going to be on the hook for most of the cost yourself.

Your insurance looks insufficient to me. If an uninsured driver hits you and totals your Tesla they will only pay you $25k. Same thing if for some reason you hit someone else's expensive car, you are going to be on the hook for most of the cost yourself.

Though I do not have a Tesla yet....

This was just an informational quote, for an apples to apples comparison with State Farm and Geico for the level of insurance I had at the time.

Pemco is worth some premium because of how well they actually treat their customers if a claim happens. I have a friend that runs a body shop and he says Pemco, Chubb, Fireman’s Fund, and Mutual of Enumclaw are the tops. From being hit by other drivers over the years, I can confirm that State Farm, Allstate, and Geico all leave something to be desired. State Farm would rather believe that I reversed into someone at me at a stop light than got rear ended because it would save them money.

Not that it matters because personal situations vary so much, but I pay $788 a year for our 90D Model X with Pemco and $1K deductibles. Ameriprise via Costco was under $650.
Thanks. I ended up switching to PEMCO today, and have better insurance at significantly better rates. I also moved multiple houses and added an umbrella policy. All for about 1500$ total less than Safeco.

Just replaced my wife's 3.5 year old Volvo XC60 with a Model X 75D on Progressive. Our rate for her car went up $300 per year ($150 per 6 months) from $700 to $1000/yr. Not too bad, given the X costs 2x what the Volvo cost when new (and 4x now at trade-in). This is with max coverages, $500 deductable, and all offered extras (PIP, glass, etc) except rental car. She's in her 30s, no accidents or tickets ever.

Had bunch of quotes earlier in the year, progressive appear to be hiking prices in PacNW.

I don’t know if true, though my agent says a number of companies are now hiking rates significantly after first year - depending on the laziness of those not willing to change. Vote with your $ and not let this behavior become the norm.