Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northeast is official: Where will Tesla build out the next Superchargers?

Where will be the next batch of Superchargers go?

• Florida

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • The Midwest

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Texas

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Washington/Oregon

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know what they cost to erect? Maybe private groups could petition Tesla to install in certain areas if they help with the funding.

Probably $50,000-100,000 per pair, not including the solar canopies. Some costs will be lower for the larger stations where costs can be spread out over many multiple slots. This is also assuming that they're getting to use the space for free.

It can't hurt to lobby Tesla to put superchargers in in certain locations, but I suspect they're only putting them in locations where the power companies aren't going to charge them for upgrades to the transformers. Power companies aren't too happy to foot the bill for a transformer upgrade just for one customer. You also have to realize that the vast majority of the solar power Tesla is putting in is not going to be located at any of the superchargers. Most of the energy is coming off the grid and that means that each extra supercharger is one extra multi thousand dollar electricity bill for Tesla. A large supercharger station could cost over $10,000 a month. (10 cents/kwh * 50 kwh per charge * 20 charges/ slot/ day * 6 slots)

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be a better business model for them to erect solar arrays (not canopies), close to the chargers yet not in the commercial area. Space in these rest areas is at a premium.

I would park the solar panels in "fields" near by, so that they can sell energy back to the grid, but not in the exact location as the chargers themselves?

Even, radically, park a solar farm in the desert even thousands of miles away, whereever they find the biggest payback for their investment.

Only balancing act would be, in a state that's 99% coal energy, I would definitely try to reduce the carbon footprint there.

Wouldn't it be a better business model for them to erect solar arrays (not canopies), close to the chargers yet not in the commercial area. Space in these rest areas is at a premium.

I would park the solar panels in "fields" near by, so that they can sell energy back to the grid, but not in the exact location as the chargers themselves?

Even, radically, park a solar farm in the desert even thousands of miles away, whereever they find the biggest payback for their investment.

Only balancing act would be, in a state that's 99% coal energy, I would definitely try to reduce the carbon footprint there.

Here's an exhibit from some literature put together for the state of Florida. While the largest charger listed is only a 50 kW charger it still requires a substantial amount of real estate (3375 square feet). Just a single Supercharger would require almost twice this requirement. This reinforces your argument that Tesla will have to use more that than Supercharger carports structures if they are serious about providing a net positive energy to the national grid.

PV Requirements for Charging Stations.jpg

Larry

With help from Robert.Boston, I was able to add his data from World Map of Model S Reservation Holders to my dynamic map: Tesla Supercharge Map estimator . Washington/Oregon has most reservations holders that could utilize proposed SC locations but proposed Needles, AZ SC location is way up there with the number of reservation holders for a variety of distances. The map has the frequency of reservation holders for different distances, so altering the radius will show you approximately many reservation holders are within the circle.

Last edited:
I think a good mix of high pop areas and building out from the factory would be their best bets -- expanding out from CA may add to their CA focused rep -- BUT it would allow more people to do factory pickup and drive home, which is probably cheaper for Telsa (assuming people get home without issue -- if things might go wrong early in the cars life vs later, maybe risky).
Personally I want the western route, but expanding it for factory delivery won't help much with WA folks not wanting to lose their tax-free status

I think a good mix of high pop areas and building out from the factory would be their best bets -- expanding out from CA may add to their CA focused rep -- BUT it would allow more people to do factory pickup and drive home, which is probably cheaper for Telsa (assuming people get home without issue -- if things might go wrong early in the cars life vs later, maybe risky).

Given that you'll have to pay CA sales tax and you might not get it back (or even part of it back), I can't see this a being a very popular option for non-CA residents.

Given that you'll have to pay CA sales tax and you might not get it back (or even part of it back), I can't see this a being a very popular option for non-CA residents.

I've been thinking there is an angle here for Tesla and the State of California - work out some sort of a deal with California to collect sales tax for the state of registration, even when the car is picked up in California. Such a deal would enhance California's status as a tourist destination, and would bring some small but noticeable number of people into the state to pickup their new car, and then visit the sights along the Supercharger network on their way home.

Living in Oregon (no sales tax), I would love to pickup in California when the time comes, and probably turn it into a mini-vacation (coastal route north?) on my way home. But paying California sales/use tax puts the kibosh on that. As cool as the factory tour would be, it isn't worth THAT much :)

I've been thinking there is an angle here for Tesla and the State of California - work out some sort of a deal with California to collect sales tax for the state of registration, even when the car is picked up in California. Such a deal would enhance California's status as a tourist destination, and would bring some small but noticeable number of people into the state to pickup their new car, and then visit the sights along the Supercharger network on their way home.

Living in Oregon (no sales tax), I would love to pickup in California when the time comes, and probably turn it into a mini-vacation (coastal route north?) on my way home. But paying California sales/use tax puts the kibosh on that. As cool as the factory tour would be, it isn't worth THAT much :)

lets get california issue "transit"-plates for people buying cars in cal
50$ for the temporary plate, that is usable during 1 month, and then you must register your car in the place where you live

No, no tourism angle. If you're a tourist you pay sales tax.

The only excuse should be that you are the delivery guy. That means coming directly to the factory to pick up your car and then heading directly out of state. That would require some complexity to support, like getting someone to record the time you reached the border and then sending evidence of registration and sales tax. But it could be worth it, and I'd bet that car dealers in CA would be happy to support it even if the teamsters would oppose it.