Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla EVs using Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skione65

May 5, 2016
Kentucky
Just came across this on Electrek.....sourcing the code leak earlier this week on the My Tesla pages which was then pulled. After much teeth nashing by Tesla and prodding by Electrek it's apparent that Tesla wants to 'decouple' the $2500 SC charge to lower the purchase price of the Model S/X to make them less expensive for consumers. Read into that what you will.
Later in this article it goes on to say that Elon is ok with other manufacturers eventually using Tesla SCs to charge their vehicles with an adapter and 'pre-purchased' KhW "credits". I think without this as it is we are going to have 'crowding' issues with the release and manufacture of 400k plus Model 3s let alone other manufacturers EVs using the Tesla SCs.
I know Tesla needs cash to expand and grow but I'm not sure selling KhW credits to other EV owners is the right way to go about it and may cause serious overcrowding issues. There has been much discussion already about whether the SC network can handle the influx of Tesla branded vehicles, specifically the Model 3 expansion.
How do you feel? Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly. I am open to explanation and discussion and would definitely change my mind if I can wrap my head around it differently.:)

Tesla to introduce new ‘Supercharger Credit’ system to reduce entry price of Model S & X

Ski

Elon has always said the main mission of Tesla is to accelerate the adoption of sustainable transportation. He basically felt if no one else was going to do it, he would have to. In fact, he's even on record as saying if EVs take off because of Tesla and even if Tesla fails as a company, he would consider it a success. Now, of course no one wants Tesla to fail, but I think we owe it to the spirit of the company to embrace ALL EVs and be open to the idea of "sharing"the Supercharger network. This is what Elon wanted when he opened up their patents a while back, remember.

I did think of that after my post. He and we all are for a sustainable energy and world transportation future, not just of Teslas but in all transport in general. This in the 'end game' would serve that purpose. I would guess that if all manufacturers would be able to use Tesla Superchargers it all would serve that purpose....and Tesla would make profit off of KhW credit sales which in turn old help advance not only the company but the 'infrastructure' as well.:)

Ski

I agree. I can be Win-Win-Win, but only if the additional cars on the network, and additional payments from the owners leads directly to more supercharger locations being built more quickly and more superchargers per location (like Newark, DE going from 4 to 12) being added as demand dictates.

Reactions: ChadS
With Master Plan 2 and Tesla integrating and being a power company would also fit in with the "sell by kWh" concept for supercharging for Tesla and other OEM vehicles...

I always tell other manufacturers that they should buy into supercharger access so that they can have an even playing field in competing with Tesla, otherwise they'll always fall short.

having "pre-paid" ~$2500 for SCing in my purchase price, I have no concerns about the SC network being open to other users, providing I get priority!

I would be not a little disappointed when arriving at a stall to be blocked by eg a PHEV charging at snails pace and then parked there for a further half hour while they finish their lunch.

Charging rates of other vehicles vs time taken would easily become an issue.

From other threads there's already issues with Tesla owner courtesy at SC's; and these are owners of mostly $60K plus vehicles, open it up to the wider public and standards of courtesy will undoubtedly become more ahem "variable".

Tesla has stated that any other manufacturers participating in the Supercharger network have to pay their share of buildout costs, so no need to worry about other manufacturers "swamping" Superchargers - the buildout will be commensurate with cars added. So not only is it not a bad thing, it's a good thing, because more cars means better geographical coverage. (Of course there will be short-term congestion squeezes - just like we have now. That's the case with anything that grows. Service departments, for example).

Tesla has stated that any car participating has to have a minimum pack size and charging speed, so there is no need to worry about cars that have to stop repeatedly or charge for a very long time taking up inordinate amounts of time at the Superchargers.

Reactions: dgpcolorado