Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA-Normal behavior or Coincidence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wnuk

Jul 9, 2017
PA
Driving down the interstate with NOA, no one close by in front or behind me, in the right travel lane. Not near an entrance or exit ramp. A State trooper had someone pulled over on the right shoulder but plenty of room to pass him staying in the right lane if I chose to. As soon as I spotted the light from the police car, NOA suggested moving to the left lane.

Is that a normal NOA behavior when seeing police lights or just a coincidence? First time I can recall that happening.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Driving down the interstate with NOA, no one close by in front or behind me, in the right travel lane. Not near an entrance or exit ramp. A State trooper had someone pulled over on the right shoulder but plenty of room to pass him staying in the right lane if I chose to. As soon as I spotted the light from the police car, NOA suggested moving to the left lane.

Is that a normal NOA behavior when seeing police lights or just a coincidence? First time I can recall that happening.

Your Tesla prevented you from breaking the law.

Rules of the Road

Steer Clear Law
Pennsylvania vehicle code law: 3327. Duty of driver in emergency response areas

The 'Steer Clear' law requires drivers to move over or slow down when they encounter an emergency scene, traffic stop or disabled vehicle. This law will help prevent injuries and save lives, but only if drivers follow the law and use common sense.

When approaching or passing an emergency response area, a person, unless otherwise directed by an emergency service responder, shall:

1. pass in a lane not adjacent to that of the emergency response area, if possible; or
  2. if passing in a nonadjacent lane is impossible, illegal or unsafe, pass the emergency response area at a careful and prudent reduced speed reasonable for safely passing the emergency response area.

Violators commit a summary offense. Penalties include a fine of up to $250 for a first offense, $500 for a second offense, and 1,000 for a third or subsequent offense. Repeat offenders may have their license suspended, and violators who cause bodily injury or the death of an emergency service provider face additional fines of up to $10,000. In addition, fines for several traffic violations are doubled when committed in an emergency response area when first responders are present.

I've never seen that behavior of shifting over for parked emergency vehicles, but I have seen NOA frequently suggest a lane change out of the outside lane when there is not another car around you. Typically, that's when you approach an exit for a highway that forks off from the main road. I find it annoying enough that I only use NOA for about 10 minutes before giving up on it for another 6 months before testing it out again. I'm due to try it sometime around Christmas now. Yet another long-standing bug in the NOA/Autopilot behavior.

Reactions: jpfive
NY has the same law. I've also sometimes seen a message from NoA "Changing lanes to avoid cones" or some such, which seems a little similar, but it sounds like in your case it didn't give a particular reason? I also sometimes see NoA want to change lanes "to follow route" when the change isn't actually necessary.

Obviously anecdotle but just did trip down I5 to LA yesterday and i observed this behavior, commented to wife that it seemed to shift lane and then back again. In my case it was if recignized the small hazard triangles that had been placed out by broken down semi.

I past other breakdowns where no triangles/cones placed and it didn't do this, so presence of the markers seemed relevant.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wnuk