Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a drive today from south of Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass and back, on both city streets and freeways. Overall, I saw some behaviors that are better than prior FSD beta versions, but some that really need work:

1) This version DOES NOT recognize emergency vehicles with lights on. I was on a city street, two lane (one each way), and the emergency vehicle was approaching from the opposite direction. The driver display showed a truck image but nothing that suggested it was more than just a truck. This will be another NHTSA recall if Tesla doesn't do something, especially given the ruckus about previous collision events with emergency vehicles.

2) The vehicle WOULD NOT follow a planned route to transition between I-405 and I-90 east of Seattle. I was traveling north on I-405 the first time, in the HOV lane, and FSD beta did nothing to change lanes to make the right exit to I-90 east. I intervened within a half mile of the exit and drove it manually. On the way back from the pass, the planned route transitioned from I-90 west to I-405 south, and again I was in the HOV lane on I-90 westbound. The vehicle just sailed by the exit without making any prior effort to move over to take the exit. I didn't intervene this time. I'm suspecting that the problem involves being in the HOV lane, but I'll have to do further testing tomorrow & get video of the behavior.

3) While on a freeway, the vehicle is timid making lane changes while in a curve. The vehicle would slow down excessively and act uncertain about the lane change. There were no other vehicles in the vicinity. On straight sections of freeway, the lane changes were nominal. I had the vehicle in the "Moderate" mode without excess lane changes.

Now for a very good behavior that I've not seen documented anywhere. When one is driving in the far left lane (not an HOV lane) on a freeway with FSD beta operating, the vehicle now sees other vehicles coming up behind and moves over to the right to let the faster vehicle pass. I've never observed this before with NoA or FSD beta versions. 11.3.3 will remain in the lane until it encounters a slower vehicle, then move the vehicle back into the leftmost lane. I observed this happen both on an interstate freeway and a state freeway. It appears not to move out of an HOV lane if a faster car comes up behind. It also seems to not work if the FSD beta vehicle is in any other lane than the leftmost "passing" lane.

I've got a few urban locations at which prior the two-stack version of FSD beta failed, and I'll be doing video tests of those in the next few days.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 1.46.33 PM.png

Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Great! I'm still waiting for the update. Regarding emergency vehicle detection, the only behavior I've seen is when overtaking a stopped emergency vehicle (that was going the same direction as you) and only at night I would get a message that it was slowing down for an emergency vehicle. I've never seen it detect them in the situation you described.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
Now for a very good behavior that I've not seen documented anywhere. When one is driving in the far left lane (not an HOV lane) on a freeway with FSD beta operating, the vehicle now sees other vehicles coming up behind and moves over to the right to let the faster vehicle pass.
Regular NoA has done that in my experience, though maybe not exactly in the same way. Having someone behind you makes it more likely that NoA will try to get you out of the passing lane.

Took a drive today from south of Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass and back, on both city streets and freeways. Overall, I saw some behaviors that are better than prior FSD beta versions, but some that really need work:

1) This version DOES NOT recognize emergency vehicles with lights on. I was on a city street, two lane (one each way), and the emergency vehicle was approaching from the opposite direction. The driver display showed a truck image but nothing that suggested it was more than just a truck. This will be another NHTSA recall if Tesla doesn't do something, especially given the ruckus about previous collision events with emergency vehicles.

2) The vehicle WOULD NOT follow a planned route to transition between I-405 and I-90 east of Seattle. I was traveling north on I-405 the first time, in the HOV lane, and FSD beta did nothing to change lanes to make the right exit to I-90 east. I intervened within a half mile of the exit and drove it manually. On the way back from the pass, the planned route transitioned from I-90 west to I-405 south, and again I was in the HOV lane on I-90 westbound. The vehicle just sailed by the exit without making any prior effort to move over to take the exit. I didn't intervene this time. I'm suspecting that the problem involves being in the HOV lane, but I'll have to do further testing tomorrow & get video of the behavior.

3) While on a freeway, the vehicle is timid making lane changes while in a curve. The vehicle would slow down excessively and act uncertain about the lane change. There were no other vehicles in the vicinity. On straight sections of freeway, the lane changes were nominal. I had the vehicle in the "Moderate" mode without excess lane changes.

Now for a very good behavior that I've not seen documented anywhere. When one is driving in the far left lane (not an HOV lane) on a freeway with FSD beta operating, the vehicle now sees other vehicles coming up behind and moves over to the right to let the faster vehicle pass. I've never observed this before with NoA or FSD beta versions. 11.3.3 will remain in the lane until it encounters a slower vehicle, then move the vehicle back into the leftmost lane. I observed this happen both on an interstate freeway and a state freeway. It appears not to move out of an HOV lane if a faster car comes up behind. It also seems to not work if the FSD beta vehicle is in any other lane than the leftmost "passing" lane.

I've got a few urban locations at which prior the two-stack version of FSD beta failed, and I'll be doing video tests of those in the next few days.

View attachment 922729
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I have the same issue with FSD 11.3.3 not detecting HOV lanes properly. It will not enter or exit the HOV on its own I needed to take over to enter and exit to take my exit. From what I noticed is that the visualization shows the lane with solid lines and doesn’t show the doted lines where there is a enter/exit zone in the lane

I have the same issue with FSD 11.3.3 not detecting HOV lanes properly. It will not enter or exit the HOV on its own I needed to take over to enter and exit to take my exit. From what I noticed is that the visualization shows the lane with solid lines and doesn’t show the doted lines where there is a enter/exit zone in the lane
I had "Use HOV Lanes" turned off, and 11.3.3 still turned on it. It's also changing lanes without any need. The car behaves randomly.

About point #1: when I use AutoPilot (and it probably applies to FSD, as well), it often recognizes neon signs on the buildings as emergency vehicles and slows down, only to figure it out a second later. Maybe they tried to dial it down and went too far.

In California HOV lanes can only be entered or exited when the lines are single dashed. It appears from these posts that double solid and single dashed lines are not recognized. To not enter or exit ensures no laws are broken and requires driver control in these cases.
Yeah same here in Georgia. Double solid means you can’t get in and dashed you can enter/exit. The car doesn’t seem to be recognizing the dashed lines rather it shows it as a solid line on the visualization so it doesn’t enter or exit when it’s dashed on the road. I have to manually takeover. Another thing I noticed is that the car drives pretty far way leaving a huge gap from the car in front on the highway. Also the car tends to slow down more often even when the car if front is still far way this might just be a personal preference rather than a bug

My first day involved having to slam on the brakes when I realized it was about to blow through a red light on a left turn (with all visible lights red). It has since done that at a second intersection. 11.3.3 feels like a huge regression in city-street driving.

Highway driving also seems to be completely ignoring cars that are about to merge, which has caused me to forcibly disengage at least a couple of times as it tried to come up beside them.

All in all, FSDb v11 is one steps forward and several steps back. What I'm seeing is definitely not ready for wide use on city streets or on the highway.

Got in a good A/B test today.

Used separate-stack AP on divided highway from Mammoth to Bishop. Same experience many others have shared recently: Sudden phantom braking renders formerly-reliable (radar era) AP unusable ... and a freakout for my passenger wife. (For last month, we've had to do much of our freeway driving manually.)

Downloaded and installed 11.3.3 while in Bishop. On return trip, single-stack highway AP was solid ... albeit a little conservative about slowing for gentle sweeping curves.

Town FSD was still an adventure. Nothing like initiating a left turn only to stop dead while still in the (fortunately empty) lane of traffic coming from the left. Four-way stop signs and four-way flashing red stoplights were also quite exciting.

Personally, I wish Tesla would solve the easier problem -- highway driving -- at a rock-solid L3 or L4 standard and stop devoting so much attention to the much tougher AI challenge of real-world street life.

Don't think it will happen until we enter the post-Elon, adult-CEO stage ...

Took first drive on 11.3.4 today. I had 10.69.25.2 previously. Much smoother on turns, stops lane changes and turns following the map directions. . It even crossed multiple lanes at one time to get into left turn lane. , etc. It moved into another lane when a car merged into my lane. A definite improvement. Summon now works without turning off sentry mode. It was unsure on a right turn changing lanes, but overall with my short time with it so far it does drive smoother I feel it drives more safely than my previous version. .

HOV lanes with single white line boundaries can be entered or exited anytime in WA. There are more complex rules along I-405 east of Seattle, with double-white line boundaries (illegal to cross) & dashed line entry-exit points, but those stretches also have special exit lanes from the HOV lanes.

HOV lanes with single white line boundaries can be entered or exited anytime in WA. There are more complex rules along I-405 east of Seattle, with double-white line boundaries (illegal to cross) & dashed line entry-exit points, but those stretches also have special exit lanes from the HOV lanes.
Yep same here on I-85 in Georgia. Double solid illegal to cross and dashed lines are entry/exit. v10 was able to automatically enter and exit to follow the route with no issues. On 11.3.3 (haven’t received any new builds yet) from what I noticed is the car’s map route is using the HOV/Express Lane. Look at the video of the my car on FSD it does not detect the dashed lines at all and keeps showing it as solid. The route is navigating with HOV/Express lane but the car never enters/exits as it does not see the dashed lines. Where before at the dashed lines if navigating with HOV is on it would automatically enter the lane which does not happen at all on v11.3.3.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yep same here on I-85 in Georgia. Double solid illegal to cross and dashed lines are entry/exit. v10 was able to automatically enter and exit to follow the route with no issues. On 11.3.3 (haven’t received any new builds yet) from what I noticed is the car’s map route is using the HOV/Express Lane. Look at the video of the my car on FSD it does not detect the dashed lines at all and keeps showing it as solid. The route is navigating with HOV/Express lane but the car never enters/exits as it does not see the dashed lines.https://imgur.com/a/cQEMo77

Wow you are getting really good efficiency: 217 wh/m. I used to get that before I got new tires. What are your specs?