Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Power Folding Mirrors for the Model S in the future.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power Folding mirrors on the Model S would only be of marginal benefit as the side view mirrors are mounted on huge bulky brackets.
I have no idea what that means. The car is REALLY wide. Folding the mirrors in will be of great benefit to some of us with narrow garage doors or just for added parking lot or side-swipe protection against damage. What do the brackets have to do with it?

I have no idea what that means. The car is REALLY wide. Folding the mirrors in will be of great benefit to some of us with narrow garage doors or just for added parking lot or side-swipe protection against damage. What do the brackets have to do with it?

I think maybe he meant when they folded in, they would still be fairly wide (as far as the stalks) -- though it should still save a few inches (which can be crucial, especially overseas)

The graphics are going to look funny because Tesla made the mistake of mounting the camera off center. They're probably reluctant to add the graphics because it will so obviously point this out.
It also makes the calculations tremendously more difficult -- which might explain the delay.

We have been told that is coming.
So is Christmas but I'm guessing that's coming sooner. Can you tell me if you have a ball park on that ETA?

- - - Updated - - -

The graphics are going to look funny because Tesla made the mistake of mounting the camera off center. They're probably reluctant to add the graphics because it will so obviously point this out.
It also makes the calculations tremendously more difficult -- which might explain the delay.
I've seen other cars with off center mounts and they have the runway guides. Infiniti comes to mind. Not that this is a deal breaker, but I'm guessing that if this (associated) company can put rockets in orbit, they can certainly put a flunky on this project to figure out how to do the overlay from the off set. Statement of course is tongue and cheek! :tongue:

With the camera off center, and the fish eye lense, you'll get this weird issue of the two graphic lines not being a mirror image of each other.
It's easy to imagine. Take your Model S, backup perfectly centered into a spot, and notice the two painted white lines in the rearview camera image. It looks funky.
That's what the graphic will look like. Assuming they program the graphic lines correctly, then it will get even weirder when you turn your wheel.
Also, has anyone else noticed the poor frame rate of the rearview camera (more noticable at higher speeds)? It seems like it is only 10-15 frames per second, and very delayed. I don't have my car yet, so this observation was in a test drive car.

Last edited:
Also, has anyone else noticed the poor frame rate of the rearview camera (more noticable at higher speeds)? It seems like it is only 10-15 frames per second, and very delayed. I don't have my car yet, so this observation was in a test drive car.

Mine is at least 20fps when moving and probably higher. My main complaint of the HD camera is the way images look in high or low light conditions. Rear view images almost look as if they have had an instagram effect applied under these lighting conditions.

It's not a mistake, the manual control for the trunk is is in the center. The Roadster already has guidelines and that's got a fish-eye off-center camera also. n all honesty, after a month with the car, I find the fish-eye view perfect for parking/reversing and lines really aren't necessary if you're a reasonable driver.

With the camera off center, and the fish eye lense, you'll get this weird issue of the two graphic lines not being a mirror image of each other.
It's easy to imagine. Take your Model S, backup perfectly centered into a spot, and notice the two painted white lines in the rearview camera image. It looks funky.
That's what the graphic will look like. Assuming they program the graphic lines correctly, then it will get even weirder when you turn your wheel.

Huh? No offence, but you're imaging problems that don't exist yet (or at all, Tesla knows how to do this...see my Roadster comment above)

I don't have my car yet, so this observation was in a test drive car.

The test cars are so far behind us now, it would be better if everyone focused on production cars.

Totally agree, I hope they come also. Just pointing out Tesla's off-center mistake. Couldn't disagree with Nigel more on this. I'd rather the trunk handle be off-center than the camera be off-center. Terrible design choice. The Roadster's rearview camera is also a joke.

If the parking spaces are so narrow that you must fold the mirrors, how do you get in and out of the car?
In my garage, the rate limiting step is passage into the garage, but once inside there are no barriers between the other garage so it opens up.

Now that I've seen the mirror fold in Ben's helpful video I'm starting to think they gave up on this because it doesn't help much with the way the mirrors fold anyway. At most you'd save a few inches. I'm still not happy, but it seems I wouldn't gain as much as I'd like anyway.
Can someone point me in the direction of this "Ben video" please? :confused:
I measured my manually folding in the driver's side only mirror which gives an extra 3.5"

While we weren't looking for power folding mirrors to seal the deal, we were very concerned about the size of the Model S getting into and out of our garage. We don't have a straight approach, our driveway pretty much dictates backing into the garage while turning hard to squeeze in diagonally. Our RX450h already seemed like a slightly tight fit and the Model S specs show it as four inches wider and eight inches longer. Yikes.

We did eventually pull the trigger and prepared ourselves for a garage remodel if strictly necessary. As it turns out, I'm delighted to report that it hasn't been a problem at all. There were a few factors that helped: (a) the Model S has a surprisingly tight turning radius for a car of its size, which helped in our situation, and (b) most vehicles widths are measured without the mirrors. The mirrors on the Model S don't stick out nearly as far as some vehicles, presumably as an intentional part of the aerodynamic design. Mirrors included, it's only a little over 2 inches wider than the vehicle we were used to parking.

While we weren't looking for power folding mirrors to seal the deal, we were very concerned about the size of the Model S getting into and out of our garage. We don't have a straight approach, our driveway pretty much dictates backing into the garage while turning hard to squeeze in diagonally. Our RX450h already seemed like a slightly tight fit and the Model S specs show it as four inches wider and eight inches longer. Yikes.

We did eventually pull the trigger and prepared ourselves for a garage remodel if strictly necessary. As it turns out, I'm delighted to report that it hasn't been a problem at all. There were a few factors that helped: (a) the Model S has a surprisingly tight turning radius for a car of its size, which helped in our situation, and (b) most vehicles widths are measured without the mirrors. The mirrors on the Model S don't stick out nearly as far as some vehicles, presumably as an intentional part of the aerodynamic design. Mirrors included, it's only a little over 2 inches wider than the vehicle we were used to parking.

Very helpful info GG. I live in a condo and have some concerns about a slightly tight fit for my parking spot. Your observations definitely made me feel better.

At today’s event @ Chrissy Field in SF, I had the opportunity to talk with Jerome G, and get a close look at his personal (well..corporate with MFG tags) red P85+ (debadged). He was very generous and gracious with his time, and fairly candid. He noted that essentially every new feature/add-on/update/retrofit gets put on his S early (he really is on the bleeding/alpha edge), with all of the attendant woes and benefits. He has tested tires (original Contis, new Michelins), suspension upgrades, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, and so on.

I asked about the power folding rear view mirrors and the engineering/retrofit. The mirrors had to be redesigned. Specifically, the chromed casting that is the mounting stem/arm had to be redesigned/re-engineered, and is a bit beefier to contain some of the components, specifically the motor. He in fact was a bit disappointed about the need to rework and slightly alter this component. The power and control wiring is however present in all Model S (no new/additional wiring or power needed). Jerome opened up his driver’s side door to show me that the existing ‘standard’ driver’s armrest window control panel (presumably standard Mercedes part) is swapped out for one (likely another Mercedes part from the bin) that has 3 additional mirror control buttons at the top (sorry, no photo—I did not want to impose). He pressed the buttons to show me the mirror folding/unfolding. I asked about the complexity of the retrofit—he said about 1-2 hours of tech time, and no major issues. Just deinstall/reinstall 2 mirrors and the new armrest control panel—no software/firmware issues. I did not specifically ask, but I assume that your existing body color shell/housing for the mirror gets reused/reinstalled. The upgrade should be available shortly. I did not ask about price—again was trying to balance data gathering against his generosity of time and information.

@JPP, thanks so much for that inside info. I just remembered installing that same Mercedes mirror control panel on my last AMG. Also did the OEM side motorized mirrors retrofit myself which took about 30 minutes max (on the MB).