Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting to see what UK pricing is like, but it seems unlikely that the cheapest model you can buy online will come in much under £40k now. Also anything over £40k gets hit with road tax, adding additional thousands to the cost over time.

The old SR+ looked okay. Half decent interior, basic comfort features like heated seats, although AP was still extra so it wasn't all that competitive with the Kona, Niro and Leaf 62. Plus I'm not sure they will actually deliver any this year. Even in the US no-one has their $35k Model 3 yet.

I'm waiting to see what UK pricing is like, but it seems unlikely that the cheapest model you can buy online will come in much under £40k now. Also anything over £40k gets hit with road tax, adding additional thousands to the cost over time.

The old SR+ looked okay. Half decent interior, basic comfort features like heated seats, although AP was still extra so it wasn't all that competitive with the Kona, Niro and Leaf 62. Plus I'm not sure they will actually deliver any this year. Even in the US no-one has their $35k Model 3 yet.

The 35k comes with no additional options and black only. It has been shown that most people don’t want the base base model. $40k is the sweet spot in the US in my opinion.

Is that £40k limit with or without VAT? I mean it depends on what the £ to $ conversion rate comes out to eventually, and the £ has taken a real beating over the last year, but $39,000US is still only about £30k. How much does Tesla pad its £ conversion rates? I know the CDN$ conversion Tesla uses is decently close to market.

Even with 20% VAT that has a decent chance at coming out to less than £40k. Is there a hefty import tax going on, too?

Last edited:
Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I think it's actually quite likely the UK will see a £35k model. Whether that ends up being an SR+ or software limited RWD of some sort I don't know, but I think there is possibly more demand for an EV of that sort in the UK than some of the other markets the 3 is already being sold into.

Reactions: SammichLover
Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I think it's actually quite likely the UK will see a £35k model. Whether that ends up being an SR+ or software limited RWD of some sort I don't know, but I think there is possibly more demand for an EV of that sort in the UK than some of the other markets the 3 is already being sold into.
Yeah, if not for the cabin mirroring requirement I'd be surprised if they weren't already selling there.

Is that £40k limit with or without VAT? I mean it depends on what the £ to $ conversion rate comes out to eventually, and the £ has taken a real beating over the last year, but $39,000US is still only about £30k. How much does Tesla pad its £ conversion rates? I know the CDN$ conversion Tesla uses is decently close to market.

Even with 20% VAT that has a decent chance at coming out to less than £40k. Is there a hefty import tax going on, too?

It's including 20% VAT and before the £3500 grant. It's based on list price too, not what you haggled them down to.

There are some additional import costs. Tesla used to do re-assembly in the EU to avoid some of them but seem to not be bothering for the Model 3. Also the EU has some additional safety requirements that mean the EU models are slightly different, and of course it has to be RHD.

Tesla was probably waiting to see if there would be additional tariffs due to brexit, but now that's up in the air again until October.

I think a decent spec with heated seats and range comparable to the Niro/Kona will be over £40k. The Leaf 62 is also close to £40k, but higher spec - adding one of the more expensive paint options pushes it over.

Maybe they will surprise us, who knows.