Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer able to connect to wi-fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car since 2018 and the wifi has worked fine until now. It's currently on 2022.36.6, but for several weeks a software update has been available, but the app shows that I have to connect to Wi-fi to get it. I've tried everything I know of, and I just don't know why I can no longer get my home network, or even forget it and add it again. I've tried rebooting. I've tried "forgetting" and re-adding, but every time I try to add the network, I get the "Do you want to forget Wi-fi?" screen, in an infinite loop. The car just keeps searching for a network, and if it does find it, I can't seem to do anything to make it connect. I know this isn't making much sense, but neither does this problem.

Is it time to just make a service appointment? Has anybody else run into this problem? Is this the beginning of the dreaded 12v battery nightmare? (I'm still on the original battery.) Something is obviously messed up, but I don't know what else I can try to fix it. My router is working fine otherwise, and the signal has always been strong enough to reach the car.

Our 2018 3lr would not connect to wifi. Did the two finger reboot and it totally lost its mind, like a factory reset. Pain in the butt with the 4 profiles and all the settings, but it has worked ever since.

I’d submit a service request.

I've had my car since 2018 and the wifi has worked fine until now. It's currently on 2022.36.6, but for several weeks a software update has been available, but the app shows that I have to connect to Wi-fi to get it. I've tried everything I know of, and I just don't know why I can no longer get my home network, or even forget it and add it again. I've tried rebooting. I've tried "forgetting" and re-adding, but every time I try to add the network, I get the "Do you want to forget Wi-fi?" screen, in an infinite loop. The car just keeps searching for a network, and if it does find it, I can't seem to do anything to make it connect. I know this isn't making much sense, but neither does this problem.

Is it time to just make a service appointment? Has anybody else run into this problem? Is this the beginning of the dreaded 12v battery nightmare? (I'm still on the original battery.) Something is obviously messed up, but I don't know what else I can try to fix it. My router is working fine otherwise, and the signal has always been strong enough to reach the car.
Our MYLR is only a month old and it is doing the same as yours: good signal but suddenly won't recognize our wifi password, keeps asking to forget wifi, tried a reboot, etc. I finally gave up and turned on my phone's Hotspot for the update download. What's the deal Tesla?

Our MYLR is only a month old and it is doing the same as yours: good signal but suddenly won't recognize our wifi password, keeps asking to forget wifi, tried a reboot, etc. I finally gave up and turned on my phone's Hotspot for the update download. What's the deal Tesla?
Anything change with your home wifi? Others have said the car would not connect to any wifi.

I don’t have a car yet. Delivery next week, but trying to get Gen 3 charger to connect to Orbi has been a bitch. It wont connect to main Wi-Fi but it will connect to the loT Wi-Fi if I set loT to 2.4ghz only and simple wpa for security.

Do you have the loT band you can try? You may have to enable it. If so, I think you can go into router web page to enable internet for the loT option.

I don’t have a car yet. Delivery next week, but trying to get Gen 3 charger to connect to Orbi has been a bitch. It wont connect to main Wi-Fi but it will connect to the loT Wi-Fi if I set loT to 2.4ghz only and simple wpa for security.
Read the manual, page 10:
"Wall Connector only supports WPA2/3-secured, 2.4 GHz, 802.11 infrastructure mode networks."
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
Do you have the loT band you can try? You may have to enable it. If so, I think you can go into router web page to enable internet for the loT option.
5GHz vs 2.4GHz is a known limitation for both the wall connector and the car. 5GHz doesn't work at all with Gen 3 Wall connector, and with the car it doesn't work as well due to generally poorer wall penetration (most people have walls between their router and car).

If your router allows you to set a different SSID for your 5GHz network, it is best to do that and forget it and set the car to connect to the 2.4GHz.
Gen 3 Wall Charger WPA2/WPA3 compatibility Issue
5GHz WiFi connects but doesn't work?

Reactions: Msjulie and Sambub
Recently, I was experiencing extremely slow WiFi data transfer rates. I've been updating my Model 3 using the same WiFi setup and hardware for over 4 years without any problems.

Thinking the car was the problem, I took my car to my local Tesla Service Center and asked someone at the Customer Counter if I could connect my car to their WiFi network. He said "sure, the passcode is posted in the customer lounge". I went back to my car in the parking lot and noticed that my car had automatically connected to Tesla's WiFi network. Apparently my car already knew the passcode from a prior Tesla service. Also, the over the air update download was almost finished. I waited for the download to finish, then drove home and later used the Tesla App to allow the update download to install.

I'm guessing that my WiFi signal strength in my garage is now too low, due to a recent change to the firmware,

My solution was to install new, higher gain, antennas on my WiFi router which are located inside my house. That seems to have fixed the problem of extremely slow data rates, because the latest update was downloaded without any problems.

Update: Part of my problem may have been my 12v battery. The update was pushed to my car via LTE, and a couple of days later I got the dreaded 12v warning, one of which was that no updates would be downloaded until I got a new battery. There may also have been a glitch, because after the update I was able to connect to my home wi-fi. Damn, almost as finicky as a windows computer.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus

O.K. Problem solved - FINALLY ! I went into the Orbi App under, "Devices" and DELETED the Tesla from the List. Then, in the car, I Added my WiFi connection and Password. Now, the car is back online. Sooooo, maybe the Orbi's fault? Who knows? At least I know what to do THE NEXT TIME !

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
What is the security setting on your router, Roy? I have to turn off security on my Orbi mesh router before I can connect to the car to download updates. It will not connect with WPA/WPA2-Personal security enabled. However, since the Wall Charger should be set to WPA2, I wonder if the car will only work with WPA2? WPA3 would be preferred but I cannot connect with that setting either.

What is the security setting on your router, Roy? I have to turn off security on my Orbi mesh router before I can connect to the car to download updates. It will not connect with WPA/WPA2-Personal security enabled. However, since the Wall Charger should be set to WPA2, I wonder if the car will only work with WPA2? WPA3 would be preferred but I cannot connect with that setting either.
I have all my devices in my network set to WPA-2. (Security in my new Orbi system is being handle by Netgear's, "Bit Defender" application). But that shouldn't matter. So, WPA-2 shouldn't cause a fail to connect, Marco. COMPUTERS, UGH!

Essentially the same problem with my M3. It quickly connects to my home WiFi when changed to No Security. But won't connect otherwise anymore as it did for years. All other devices in home and phone hook up without any problems and reboot of car fails to correct it. Forget and reset also fails if router access is alpha numeric password protected. Same exact problem with new high quality, high output WiFi router.

Given that it early works with no security it seems that there is a persistent software malfunction.

Essentially the same problem with my M3. It quickly connects to my home WiFi when changed to No Security. But won't connect otherwise anymore as it did for years. All other devices in home and phone hook up without any problems and reboot of car fails to correct it. Forget and reset also fails if router access is alpha numeric password protected. Same exact problem with new high quality, high output WiFi router.

Given that it early works with no security it seems that there is a persistent software malfunction.
Did the router upgrade?

Did the router upgrade?
I did get a new TP Link router to set up. M3 also detected the router output which was very strong. But still, the car would not connect once the router password was entered. After that I returned the ($250) expensive router as due to M3's connection failure and everything else working OK, I could not see any reason to keep it.

Today my Tesla installed solar inverter failed. Not having much luck with their products.

Had to replace our wi fy system. Therefore Had to reconnect our other devices- car, tv, cell phones, printer and iPad. Do we need to do anything with the wall charger? Can’t find Quick start card from original install of charger!