Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

...no further significant platform changes to Model S for about a year...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, one cup holder and one... something.

Capture.JPG

From my perspective I find that such statements, especially when made during quarterly results, are less directed at customers than to set investor/shareholder expectations properly. If analysts are used to seeing major hardware updates throughout the year and are not told such statements, TSLA stock will drop when no new major hardware shows up in 2015. With this statement TM has set proper expectations - smart.

Here is what I would like to see in the Tesla S future models:

Technology:

1) Heads up display of Navigation on windshield (My Wife's Prius has this!)

2) Take me to the nearest Supercharger or HPWC program key or voice command

3) ALL control functions should be via voice command.... "Command Open Panoramic Roof" or "Rear Right Seat Heater on FULL" or "Fog Lights On"... if you are in a P85D... "Dude enter INSANITY mode" or "Dude END the INSANITY" I think you get the picture....

Cabin:

1) Front Seats should be climate controlled, Again by voice and center screen.

2) Please, a darker brown oil tanned (feels good and ages a patina) leather option with saddle stitching... of high quality. A darker cocoa brown, reddish tan. Something with some Wow factor befitting a $100+K car. Please.

3) Storage spaces in doors, not a lot but some.

4) Heated Steering Wheel, Between the heated seats and with this option, many cool days would not require heat. Florida Guys need not apply... Haha

5) A really nice center console option.

6) Some place on the dash to plug in thumb drives, not down and behind. Perhaps a hatch, dunno but handy.

7) Rear seat Heat controls for rear seat occupants... they should NOT be getting the driver involved in raising or lowering their seat temps.....

Mechanical:

1) Larger Battery in terms of distance or more efficient inverters on both charge and discharge

2) Air suspension should be voice activated via audio command and perhaps via sonar to automatically raise above parking curbs and speed bumps (at slow speeds).

3) Collision Avoidance At Slow Speed: My current Volvo XC60 has what is known as "City Safe Mode" where the car will apply brakes for any object it may encounter when moving forward at a slow pace IF your foot is off the brake pedal. Humans, Dogs, Warning Cones, Autos, High Curbs etc. I tried this on my Volvo (warning cones) and it works. This will probably be a feature of the self parking feature and call the car function.

Last edited:
Here is what I would like to see in the Tesla S future models:

Technology:

1) Heads up display of Navigation on windshield (My Wife's Prius has this!)

2) Take me to the nearest Supercharger or HPWC program key or voice command

3) ALL control functions should be via voice command.... "Command Open Panoramic Roof" or "Rear Right Seat Heater on FULL" or "Fog Lights On"... if you are in a P85D... "Dude enter INSANITY mode" or "Dude END the INSANITY" I think you get the picture....

Cabin:

1) Front Seats should be climate controlled, Again by voice and center screen.

2) Please, a darker brown oil tanned (feels good and ages a patina) leather option with saddle stitching... of high quality. A darker cocoa brown, reddish tan. Something with some Wow factor befitting a $100+K car. Please.

3) Storage spaces in doors, not a lot but some.

4) Heated Steering Wheel, Between the heated seats and with this option, many cool days would not require heat. Florida Guys need not apply... Haha

5) A really nice center console option.

6) Some place on the dash to plug in thumb drives, not down and behind. Perhaps a hatch, dunno but handy.

7) Rear seat Heat controls for rear seat occupants... they should NOT be getting the driver involved in raising or lowering their seat temps.....

Mechanical:

1) Larger Battery in terms of distance or more efficient inverters on both charge and discharge

2) Air suspension should be voice activated via audio command and perhaps via sonar to automatically raise above parking curbs and speed bumps (at slow speeds).

3) Collision Avoidance At Slow Speed: My current Volvo XC60 has what is known as "City Safe Mode" where the car will apply brakes for any object it may encounter when moving forward at a slow pace IF your foot is off the brake pedal. Humans, Dogs, Warning Cones, Autos, High Curbs etc. I tried this on my Volvo (warning cones) and it works. This will probably be a feature of the self parking feature and call the car function.

If you push the T at the top of the screen does it not route you to the closest supercharger?

Really was surprised there is no Heads Up display. My 2010 BMW had it and it was both cool looking and an excellent safety feature. I know it is not specific to BMW. Wonder who decided not to incorporate it?
I have only tried voice control once (on a test drive) but I thought it worked well. It must be harder to control the roof than the radio?
Ventilated/Cooled seats have been out for a while. Judging from the Original Gen seats, Tesla just did not put a lot of attention on seating.
Speaking of being out for a while, the patent for the heated steering wheel was granted in the mid '60's. And of course it's always been odd to me that a console was not at least an option since Day 1.
Good points all.

What is a "significant platform change"? I think Tesla has smartly covered itself with this. Does a new dashboard design constitute a significant platform change? What about adding LTE or moving to a newer Tegra processor for the 17" display? How about updating the car with LED headlamps instead of HID? What about a newer, better frunk design? There are still a lot of things that Tesla can do to improve the vehicle over the next year, and in ways that may not be made available as a retrofit, but that would not constitute a "platform change". The word "significant" can also be debated.

Let's put it this way... if Tesla discovered some amazing new hardware thing that they felt would add a lot of value to the car, I don't think they are going to let this one statement hold them back.

moving to a newer Tegra processor for the 17" display

AmpedRealtor mentions one totally obvious feature improvement that the Model X will have... and which will make its way to the Model S, either as an upgrade e.g. tech package or it will simply be made standard (which is more sensible).

It will be awesome to have much better reaction time to map screen adjustments. It's kind of annoying to watch it slowly redraw roads, traffic information, or simply just draw whatever it already had the correct way up (if all you do is rotate the map).

The Tegra 3 chip is probably out of production, or starting to go up in price. It was announced in February 2011... 3.5 years ago which is kind of a long time in the computing biz. This time next year it will be a 4.5yr-old product!

The new nav computer system would hopefully have more RAM to hold cached map information. In my car, it's constantly reloading maps of Austin, even though it's where I live, and I hardly go anywhere else, and it shouldn't have to slowly re-download the maps via 3G all the time. If Tesla uses Nvidia's latest product, that runs about 16 times faster than the Tegra 3.

Other obvious enhancements carried over from the Model X would be...

• available LTE (you pay for it, but 3G continues to be free if that's all you need)
  • 110KWh battery pack
  • cameras/displays instead of side mirrors
  • even better seats, as the latest ones aren't cooled or ventilated in any way

Everyone keeps talking about 100+kWh battery packs... does anyone have a solid reference for believing this is happening any time soon... or at all? Doesn't seem very likely, IMO, any time soon. I'd say at least not until the gigafactory is up and running for a while, and even then it's not even a priority IMO.

Everyone keeps talking about 100+kWh battery packs... does anyone have a solid reference for believing this is happening any time soon... or at all? Doesn't seem very likely, IMO, any time soon. I'd say at least not until the gigafactory is up and running for a while, and even then it's not even a priority IMO.
Nope, no evidence of it. And I don't see it coming anytime soon either, I wish people would stop posting that in every other thread as if it were even a rumor much less gospel :) The mfr tax credits are changing to be rated against range and not kWh so why they'd put more cells into a pack I can't fathom, especially as you mentioned until 3 years from now when maybe the factory is churning them out. They've talked about a battery supply shortage already so I think they're going to launch the X with the 60 and 85 as they've said since the start. The 60 may be lower volume for the S or the X but it allows them to say "Starting at <$10k less than the 85 most people will really buy>" and not scare everyone away from learning more.

Musk and Tarpenning have said on separate occasions that the track record of battery chemistry/power density improvements per year averages out to about 7.5%. Conservative math indicates Tesla could fit 110KWh into the same shape & size as the Model S battery pack by 2015.

However, you have a fair point... it could be that Tesla's existing contract with Panasonic points to cells of a certain power density getting made in Japan and sent to Fremont for battery packs - and that's it. It could be that the Gigafactory is the first moment when a new battery chemistry is introduced, and the Model 3 and Model S+X get to benefit from it.

The Model X is well understood to be a heavier and physically larger vehicle than the Model S... so simply equipping it with a Model S battery pack will get you less range. However, we know that they planned a 2WD version of the Model X at one time, and eventually dropped it in favour of all AWD cars; this could have been their realisation point when they saw that the AWD system actually got more range. Since the mass of the car doesn't factor in as much as aerodynamics (when it comes to calculating range), perhaps the increased weight of the car isn't really a factor for range (only for acceleration). Perhaps the aerodynamics of the X will give it a good chance at equalling the original 265-mile EPA range of the Model S, which still using the good ol' 85KWh battery.