Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No car on delivery day... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After configuration, my delivery date was projected to be "Sept-Nov 2018." The big mistake that Tesla made was to infer that I was actually going to get my car during the front end of that projection when they scheduled me for 9/23. The second error was mine alone, and that was joining TMC where in addition to learning a lot of excellent info about Model 3 ownership, I could vicariously experience ownership through the words and photos of the online posters and start wondering when I would get called up.

Technically, Tesla is has two months to deliver for me within that original window. It is the roller coaster ride that makes me want to throw up. I'm not going to cancel and put a deposit on a Tayman. I'm really REALLY trying to not pester the hell out of my DA or whomever will give me the time of day at Tesla but the suspense is killing me. I wish I would have never had an original delivery date and that I was still blissfully ignorant.

I also have to believe that the happiest owners are posting their biggest joys on TMC, along with the folks who rejected delivery for subpar quality and those who have been bounced around the worst waiting for delivery. The other 500k or so are out motoring and are too busy to post. Right?

the worst mistake Tesla is making is involving customers into their mess. Just don't assign the delivery until you know the car is there, or at least shipped. Is it that difficult really. That would be more akin to special order experience with any other brand. With my last special order the dealer called me only after the car was there and prepped for pick up. I couldn't care less about which railroad junction it was going thru and when.

Reactions: neroden and ceekz
the worst mistake Tesla is making is involving customers into their mess. Just don't assign the delivery until you know the car is there, or at least shipped. Is it that difficult really. That would be more akin to special order experience with any other brand. With my last special order the dealer called me only after the car was there and prepped for pick up. I couldn't care less about which railroad junction it was going thru and when.

The problem is that cars are being transferred so rapidly, and in such quantity, that they can't handle a few days worth of cars sitting on the lot.

Similar to rocketry (I recommend listening to the .wav on the site):
http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/guidance.html
The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the missile from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.
In the event that the position that it is in is not the position that it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between where the missile is, and where it wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the missile must also know where it was.

The missile guidance computer scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information the missile has obtained, it is not sure just where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't, within reason, and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn't be, and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

OMG what were they thinking at that location. Wonder if they had a trailer/s expected around your delivery time and thought it was on there so didn't want to have you leave without being able to get your delivery that day. In any event they should have been upfront with you instead have egg on their face and given you the option to wait or come back later. If that wasn't the case, and some adviser there intentionally let you sit there for hours, as the manager of the store I probably would have let him go on the spot. You just don't treat customers like that. People may not be happy but are understanding generally when deliveries on trailers get delayed. So instead of just being disappointed, you get the customer angry at you for lying.

I really hope your store manager can help you get your car sooner rather than later. He needs to redeem his store. I have a feeling with cars coming out as fast as they are now you'll be driving one soon. BTW what was your configuration?

Yeah, I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they genuinely thought it was there, or about to be offloaded from a truck out back, and it just took them a while to make sure it wasn't actually sitting on the lot somewhere. But I've heard nothing from the delivery location since then, no.

And my configuration: Model 3 Performance (but staying with 18" Wheels for now), Pearl White, White Seats, EAD (no FSD).

IMO, part of this whole discussion is a matter of perspective.

Tesla, as a car manufacturer, cares about getting as many cars into as many people's hands as possible in the shortest amount of time.

We, as car buyers, care only about one particular car - the one we're supposed to be getting.

For Tesla, if they make a mistake on a delivery (e.g., a car doesn't make it to a railyard in time to make the delivery appointment across the country), they can "fix" it by finding someone else to deliver the car to (e.g., by having a special delivery event near the factory).

Unfortunately, this "fix" only helps Tesla - the poor schmuck who was expecting delivery is left high and dry.

IMO Tesla's doing ok serving the first order goal for them (the one their business most depends on), which is delivering as many cars as possible. But because they're stretched to the seams, the second order goals - fulfilling the promised orders in a timely way and keeping their customers happy - are starting to fall by the wayside.

Also IMO, I think there's a little light at the end of the tunnel. Just as it felt like they were favoring out of state deliveries at the beginning of the month, I think they've shifted to prioritize the orders they know they can fill at short notice and still get them done this quarter. These are probably skewed towards local Bay Area and CA deliveries.

Once the first of the month rolls around, they'll (hopefully) go to a more sane pace and while deliveries will perhaps slow down slightly, the communication and their meeting of their commitments will get commensurately better.

I am starting to fear the same will happen to me. I am scheduled to have delivery late tomorrow night. I have yet to have a VIN assigned to me. Calling the center (Costa Mesa) only routes me to Las Vegas call center, who are very nice about it, and they tell me to wait and see when it does becomes assigned. I have the performance version on order too. So if I don't have a vin by tomorrow morning, I would think they don't have my car and just won't admit it over the phone.

Reactions: neroden
Thanks. At the moment, I'm back to waiting "hopefully". I'd like to have this car. I like what Tesla does.

But yeah, it's soured the whole thing. The reschedules I could understand — but after taking the day off, sitting down there for hours, basically being lied to that the car was there and being detailed, and told anything ("maybe tomorrow") to just get me to leave and go home - it's hard to shrug that off so easily.
Get the liars fired. I would have. It's worthwhile.

I am starting to fear the same will happen to me. I am scheduled to have delivery late tomorrow night. I have yet to have a VIN assigned to me. Calling the center (Costa Mesa) only routes me to Las Vegas call center, who are very nice about it, and they tell me to wait and see when it does becomes assigned. I have the performance version on order too. So if I don't have a vin by tomorrow morning, I would think they don't have my car and just won't admit it over the phone.
You're correct. They don't have a car and just won't admit it over the phone, probably because they're kept in the dark.