Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Raises Gas Tax By 23 Cents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i dont know why more states dont tack on a quarter or two to fix ourdecaying roads/bridges....seems like a no brainer, course I only go to gas stations for corn nuts and 40oz Old Style, so i may be biased
I actually think this would be a good thing. I'll pay equivalent since I use the roads too.

Gas was over $4 per gallon and the world didn't collapse. Now it's about $2/ga and the thought of increasing it by $0.25 to improve our infrastructure makes complete sense. Improves our infrastructure, creates jobs and maybe even reduces gasoline consumption a little.

I actually think this would be a good thing. I'll pay equivalent since I use the roads too.

Gas was over $4 per gallon and the world didn't collapse. Now it's about $2/ga and the thought of increasing it by $0.25 to improve our infrastructure makes complete sense. Improves our infrastructure, creates jobs and maybe even reduces gasoline consumption a little.
I agree with you. One critical component to broad EV acceptance will be a level playing feed for infrastructure maintenance. At the same time the obvious logical conclusion is to remove subsidies for both fossil fuel extraction, distribution and EVsales plus charging infrastructure. In such a world, were it to happen, the advantages of EV's would scream lougly as gasoline went to $8.00 a gallon or so, just about where it already is in much of Northern Europe. All this certainly "ain't gonna happen" but it is nice to dream.

"About 4 percent of estates each year are subject to the estate tax, a tax on the transfer of estates over $675,000. The $675,000 threshold would increase to $2 billion on Jan. 1"

Seriously. Does nobody proofread stuff anymore?

i dont know why more states dont tack on a quarter or two to fix ourdecaying roads/bridges....seems like a no brainer, course I only go to gas stations for corn nuts and 40oz Old Style, so i may be biased
that's a great idea, how would you feel when they add a few hundred dollar a year road use tax to the EV registrations in lieu of collecting fuel taxes?

Reactions: Chopr147
wow, some more great ideas except when you factor in that the cost of EVERYTHING will need to increase to compensate for higher energy costs and the higher delivery/transportation costs at every step of the manufacturing and marketing process.
Actually, it usually does not work out that way because energy efficiency begins to be a factor. For instance,over-the-road large trucks have been demonstrated with fuel economy a multiple of current averages while modestly increasing vehicle cost. The Mercedes Acros is an example. Increases fuel costs do not translate directly to higher end prices because of that. The tax burden, Federal and State will tend to decrease because of the total present border=n of fossil fuel subsidies. Those do begin with the "depletion allowance" but the ancillary costs are actually greater.
As for road tax, logic does suggest that users should be taxes according to probable damage cause, wear and tear imposed. Were that done directly rather than fuel taxes, the large truck fees would skyrocket while cars and small trucks would plummet. Fuel taxes might be logical, but mostly because they are easy. Collecting gasoline tax on one side while subsidizing the oil and gas industry on the other is illogical. A quick drive over the Pulaski Skyway, preferably with Bioweapon Defense Mode, shows you the consequences of unfettered encouragement of dirty fuel.

Directly on topic, NJ does have the oddest gasoline practices in the US, notably requiring attendants to pump gasoline, while having very low gasoline taxes. Most sensible residents of New York County who have ICE fuel in NJ, as I did for decades. Inefficient tax policies lead to such distortions.

Most sensible residents of New York County who have ICE fuel in NJ, as I did for decades. Inefficient tax policies lead to such distortions.
New york county? that is manhattan and is rarely if ever referred to NY County except in the court system. regardless of that trivia, what you say is correct you can probably save almost 40 cents per gallon fueling up in NJ however you need to pay a $13 toll to return to NYC, there is no avoiding that.
does that savings in fueling costs compensate for the tolls and time involved?
personally it doesn't for me.

you too are exhibiting a myopic view of the situation. you need to consider how is bread made. from the grain farmer to the storage facility to the processor to the baker to the wholesaler to the retailer, to the consumer. All those steps are energy dependent. and when you raise the costs of energy across the board like has been proposed by some here. the entire costs of that loaf of bread will increase exponentially.

I deleted my post because I don't feel like getting involved in this endless argument again.

But don't worry about it - they eliminated the estate taxes for the wealthy, so those effects will "trickle down" and all will be right with the world again.

I don't recall the cost of a loaf of bread rising exponentially when gas was $4 per gallon. I do recall fuel surcharges for may things.

My point was simply that we need to improve our infrastructure and paying for it by those that use it seems appropriate. I have already stated that I am happy to pay a road usage feed since I don't pay fuel tax on gasoline. I am not trying to avoid my costs.

Reactions: madodel
New york county? that is manhattan...
Not quite. The Bourough of Manhattan and the island are the same geography. New York County, however, includes a small portion of what is otherwise The Bronx called Spuyten Duyvil, famous mostly for some UN Mission staff housing located there.;) I included that because many cars live there and they have a tendency to head South and over the GW to buy fuel.

Not quite. The Bourough of Manhattan and the island are the same geography. New York County, however, includes a small portion of what is otherwise The Bronx called Spuyten Duyvil, famous mostly for some UN Mission staff housing located there.;) I included that because many cars live there and they have a tendency to head South and over the GW to buy fuel.

And since some people seem to forget, there is more to NY than just NYC. There are lots of people that don't have to drive over a bridge/pay a toll to cross that border and buy gas. I live in NYS and work in NJ, so for years I always bought gas in NJ before I'd head home. Some of the busiest gas stations are right on the NJ side of the NY/NJ border. Montague NJ is a fine example. If you travel I84 from NY into PA, stop at Exit 1 where you can catch the northern tip of NJ and get cheap gas.

I',m Ok with paying $250.00 to $300.00 per year road tax, they're going to do it sooner or later, so lets get it over with. Lets also get the bridges repaired while their at it.
This is the real point, in my view. We might manage to move towards some equality if we are not trying to fight for only subsidies and preferences rather than trying to level the playing field. Any leveling will certainly be to the net benefit of EV's; road tax is certainly more equitable than is a gasoline tax,

Oregon is trying pilot programs to charge by mile rather than a fuel tax so they can capture $ from alternative vehicles like electric. (At the same time the Dept. of Energy has subsidies for home chargers) So a Smart car pays the same per mile as a F-350 pickup with studs. The Highway Dept. says size of car is immaterial, trucks do the damage and everything is built for their load.

In greater Vancouver, we have a 6.67¢/litre carbon tax, and a 17.0¢/litre transit tax (times that by 4 (3.79 to be exact) for the price per gallon). And that's on top of an average of 35% tax on gas in Canada. A litre of gas today is $1.24 at the pumps which is $4.70 per gallon. But we have "free" health care!

Reactions: jbcarioca
In greater Vancouver, we have a 6.67¢/litre carbon tax, and a 17.0¢/litre transit tax (times that by 4 (3.79 to be exact) for the price per gallon). And that's on top of an average of 35% tax on gas in Canada. A litre of gas today is $1.24 at the pumps which is $4.70 per gallon. But we have "free" health care!
Much of the world follows such principles. Here in Rio de Janeiro we pay an average of $4.45 per gallon of "commun-zero additives" and typically $5.25 for the equivalent of the NA regular gasoline. At that these are 27.5% alcohol, enough to cause fuel system problems in non-flex vehicles. I replaced the fuel pump in my BMW at 8,000 km because of alcohol contamination, not covered by BMW warranty.

Of course we have "free" health care too. The difference is that yours works.