Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do a J turn in any car with an emergency brake. Back up, cut the wheel, pull the emergency brake. With the front wheels turned, the car rotates around the stopped wheels. When the car has turned 180 release the brake, shift into forward.
It's all in the timing -- and leave yourself a lot of space if you're going to practice this one. You can flat spot your rear tires, too. Have fun :)

... You can flat spot your rear tires, too. ...

That's why I said wait for them to be bald. question is will the roadster allow this? You can switch from forward to reverse (or VV) if you are going below two miles and hour and get away with it but you are really supposed to hit the foot brake in between direction changes.

You can switch from forward to reverse (or VV) if you are going below two miles and hour and get away with it but you are really supposed to hit the foot brake in between direction changes.

Yup, I think you could tap it though, and you are (theoretically) standing still for a fraction (or as long as you desire) after the 180. Tough timing, but should work. I did the ice gymkhana up on Georgetown Lake this winter. I should have tried it there, where everything is at low speed and in slow motion. How fast will the Tesla let us go in neutral?

You can switch from forward to reverse (or VV) if you are going below two miles and hour and get away with it but you are really supposed to hit the foot brake in between direction changes.

Yup, I think you could tap it though, and you are (theoretically) standing still for a fraction (or as long as you desire) after the 180. Tough timing, but should work. I did the ice gymkhana up on Georgetown Lake this winter. I should have tried it there, where everything is at low speed and in slow motion. How fast will the Tesla let us go in neutral?

Ahh, how was the ice gymkhana? Another Roadster owner in the Boulder area suggested I come out (I lived in Boulder 22+ years) - but the date just didn't work out. It looked like it was a blast from the photos I saw.

If you haven't driven on ice, go someplace cold now. It is a huge giggle. You drive 14 mph and you are suddenly sliding all over the place, over-correcting, doing a 360, laughing and laughing.
You get the hang of it after a bit, and get in some nice drifts and slides that actually work for you. Great training for driving on ice and snow, too. Speaking of using your hand brake -- my son and I took first and second in another autocross in his Mini Cooper S. You go into a turn, keep the power on in the front wheel drive, feather the hand brake and you turn while going. Great.

I mentioned about a dutch guy coming over in his Leaf in the ferry thread earlier.

Well, he just tweeted me in a bit of a panic because he's arrived at a Nissan dealer, only to find their CHAdeMO charger not working. This is the third time this week I have heard of this - it happened on Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield's epic trip to Norwich, the admin of the Leaf Owners' Club at I think Exeter, and now this poor guy at Stockport. 1) Why the hell aren't the dealers testing the things with their demo cars and 2) does this just show that these overly complex off board chargers are not the way to go and a simple three phase socket would do the job better?

does this just show that these overly complex off board chargers are not the way to go and a simple three phase socket would do the job better?
Airports/forklifts depend on off-board chargers and they have worked well there, so I don't see why off board chargers have to be unreliable.

And a three phase socket won't work on the Leaf anyways. It would need a much more powerful on-board charger (more than 10x the power of the current one), which would raise the price.

Just to jump in here and let you all know MY side of the fast charger fiasco.

I've used rapid level 3 chargers now 11 times since getting my Leaf (which now has 2,100 miles on it after 3 weeks)

But when doing a long distance trip last week I found two of the fast chargers didn't want to work because some local kids had pressed the big red "STOP" emergency cutoff button.

To keep everyone safe, the software inside the charger doesn't allow anyone to use it until the fault has been acknowledged.

Doing a soft or hard reboot doesn't help: it will give the impression it's okay to use but as soon as you connect it the error comes back (it's been latched)

In order to clear the error, the charger has to be placed in admin/diagnostic mode on bootup - and the error acknowledged and logged. Then if all is well, everything works again.

In both cases, a call to the firm responsible for maintenence solved the issue - but I think this is more a case of the garages not being told by the firm which installed them how to reset the things properly.

IN both cases, I was on the road again with no worries after an extra 20-30 minutes.

So the rapid chargers I've visited have all been fine... Just lack of training on the part of whoever installed them and not Nissan's fault I think.

Nikki.

As a P.S.

Of the four dealers I've visited with rapid chargers installed, the two located in areas with poor protection from local kids have been 'broken' by someone pressing the emergency stop button. The two dealers located 'out of the way' at business parks have never let me down. Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited:
One mode/display in the Leaf dashboard shows estimated time to recharge based on how far from "full" you are at the moment.
I find that somewhat handy.
So you can quickly plan how long you might need to stay somewhere while recharging.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1673&d=1303625131.jpg

Attachments

• leaf1.jpg
    leaf1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 476
GPS/NAV in 3D view mode. Not the most advanced, but it gets the job done.
The highways show current traffic speeds. (All were green at the moment since it was a weekend. Freeways around here tend to only be congested during weekday commute hours.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=1674&d=1303625703.jpg

Attachments

• leaf2.jpg
    leaf2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 374