Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, for one, believe the Guess-o-Meter on the Leaf to be very accurate and I use it and trust it. However, I also understand how the car is coming to its conclusion about my estimated range. For example, if I'm gently driving down a 30 mph road for 5 miles straight with the A/C off and the GOM says I can do 100 miles, I believe it. But I also understand that the 100 miles is conditional upon me continuing to drive in the same manner I have been the last 5 miles.

When I give people test drives in the car, the first thing I have to do is explain to them how the GOM works. Otherwise it can be scary for them. They might get into the car with it reading 100 miles remaining. But then they want to jump out on the freeway at 85 mph to see what the car can do and see the GOM drop very quickly to 50 miles. At that point they will think they've already used up half of the car's battery in just a few minutes and that in another few minutes it will be dead on the side of the road. So I have to explain that they look at the SOC bars to see the capacity and then understand that the GOM has just re-adjusted its estimate based on the new driving conditions.

I will admit that the GOM is more likely to be optimistic than pessimistic. I also understand that there is "hidden" power left over when the SOC bars disappear. Although I've never tested this for myself. In which case, I would have preferred they design the GOM to be pessimistic on the range estimate and when the number reaches zero, that is when the car dies.

I'm sure most of you know about this, but my wife was watching some old Fringe episodes and all of a sudden they're driving a Leaf! It was a quick plug for Nissan as Peter (or was it Agent Lee?) in the passenger seat says "We're still 40 miles away" and then the driver (Agent Dunham, star of the show) gives a quick visual demo of the nav screen and responds "It's OK, we have plenty of range." Maybe this is old news but it was cool for me to see it.

British Leaf drivers set a new world record EV convoy today - 255 of them at the Silverstone racetrack, beating the old one by 37 cars. The British weather was being particularly nasty too.

If there was a record for the number of rapid chargers in one place that would be set too (someone counted 31).

A8d17_eCMAACh81.jpg

A8eJZTACMAAFY6D.jpg

9fc77116361f11e28df922000a9f1991_7.jpg

A8ejmpQCIAIFQ0M.jpg:large

Last edited:
That's a cool record. I like the idea of opening it to all EVs like we had last year in Santa Monica.

I think it was 170 cars. So awesome and eerie to be in it moving down the road. Like riding a twig floating down a creek.

Sells well enough in California. Battery seems OK in mild climates.

Hot southern states have been a problem for the battery.
The middle of the country doesn't seem to want them so much.
< 100 mile range only works well in heavily developed metropolitan areas.
Greater SF bay area has 1000s of LEAFs generally happy with them.