Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation seats soon to be available for older Model S cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently we live on different planets. Is that in peso?

Have you priced aftermarket seats for other cars? Look at what Porsche asks for their sport seats. Here, e.g., is a used set for $3500. Porsche 911 996 987 997 Cayman Sport Seats Black Leather Pair | eBay

Or look at what Recaro wants for a single cloth-covered, generic aftermarket seat--anywhere from 900-1500. Now add leather and airbag units. And that's just parts.

If it's $2500 for 2, that's a great deal. If it's $5000 for two, that's not a great deal, but it's probably more in line with what I'd expect Tesla to ask for this retrofit, based on their other prices and what similar products cost.

Last edited:
I think the assumption is that it's $2.5k per seat.

Who assumes it's $2,500 per seat?

I personally assume any retrofit would be for the two front seats... one price for both.

While I'm here... does anyone know of a page containing photos of the 1.0, 1.1, 1.5 and 2.0 seats for easy comparison?

I am glad we're starting to attribute the number 2 to what have been called "next generation" seats for nearly 9 months. Eventually there will be 3rd generation seats.

Who assumes it's $2,500 per seat?

I personally assume any retrofit would be for the two front seats... one price for both.

While I'm here... does anyone know of a page containing photos of the 1.0, 1.1, 1.5 and 2.0 seats for easy comparison?

I am glad we're starting to attribute the number 2 to what have been called "next generation" seats for nearly 9 months. Eventually there will be 3rd generation seats.

Me. After reading a post from someone in norway somewhere. See post 25 in this thread.

Wouldn't retrofitting front seats cause a mismatch with the rear seats in older cars, especially those with Performance seats that have piping along the edges?

I have standard seats in the rear and next gen seats up front before that became the standard and they look perfectly matched to me.

$2500 for both would be a screaming deal for a retrofit so I'm inclined to believe that is per seat.

I have standard seats in the rear and next gen seats up front before that became the standard and they look perfectly matched to me.

$2500 for both would be a screaming deal for a retrofit so I'm inclined to believe that is per seat.

Glad they match the standard seats. Unfortunately, those of us with Performance seats will see a serious mismatch due to the lack of red piping on the next-gen seats.

Just called my service center (Bellevue, WA) and they confirmed the retrofit is available. For the gray front seats (not performance), they quoted $5860 total; another $2000 or so for the back seats (didn't get an exact quote, since I don't care about them).

If you're referring to the next generation seats and not the standard seats, that's a serious rip off! You can buy some nice aftermarket Ricaro seats for less! I'll wait till the seats end up on ebay. :)

Just called my service center (Bellevue, WA) and they confirmed the retrofit is available. For the gray front seats (not performance), they quoted $5860 total; another $2000 or so for the back seats (didn't get an exact quote, since I don't care about them).

Yes, for the next generation seats; was referring to the fact that I don't have the piping, so I don't know if they are available with that.

I'm not finding a Recaro with heating for less than $2000 per seat; so $4000-$4500 for just the seats, plus shipping, installation, etc. -- the Tesla price is a bit high, but doesn't really seem out-of-line.

If you're referring to the next generation seats and not the standard seats, that's a serious rip off! You can buy some nice aftermarket Ricaro seats for less! I'll wait till the seats end up on ebay. :)

Bummer. While I don't think this is terribly unreasonable, it's more than I'd like to spend. Too bad, because the flat seats are my number 1 complaint with this car.

Wow that's a hell of a rip off. I might pay $1000 or so but not almost $8k. Amp is right. Just sell your car and buy a new one instead. That's cheaper than retrofitting. This doesn't surprise me much though because I remember the P85+ suspension retrofit was like $23k when the original option was only $6500.

I know you guys aren't happy about the price (not that I'm planning to do the retrofit anytime soon, either); but it would cost me $40k+ to buy a new car. Yes, my year-old P85+ with <10k miles is only worth about $80k now. Car prices drop rapidly; and it makes a seat upgrade far, far cheaper than buying a new car.

At those prices, might as well just sell what you have and buy a new one.

I know you guys aren't happy about the price (not that I'm planning to do the retrofit anytime soon, either); but it would cost me $40k+ to buy a new car. Yes, my year-old P85+ with <10k miles is only worth about $80k now. Car prices drop rapidly; and it makes a seat upgrade far, far cheaper than buying a new car.

Wow, that's steep! I don't even want to know what my 2013 P85 w/ 28,000 miles is worth. No, don't tell me.

Wow that's a hell of a rip off. I might pay $1000 or so but not almost $8k. Amp is right. Just sell your car and buy a new one instead. That's cheaper than retrofitting. This doesn't surprise me much though because I remember the P85+ suspension retrofit was like $23k when the original option was only $6500.
$1000? They are $2500 factory installed on a new car and you want them at less than half that when retrofitted?

$1000? They are $2500 factory installed on a new car and you want them at less than half that when retrofitted?

I agree…I actually think the $8k is not that bad, considering that parking sensors were $6k - I have textile seats so it might not be a bad upgrade for that much…especially next-Gen considering I didn't pay anything up-front for leather. Even $2500 is the UPGRADE price from the base model seats. When retrofitting you need the base replaced as well - not just the upgraded covering/upholstery.