Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who received his car with the old seats and is owed front and back NG seats, I echo others here seeking feedback from those of you who took delivery with rear NG seats. Especially if you have feedback from kids, family, etc. Are they comfortable? Does the extra bolstering help with lateral support? Does it make it more difficult to enter/exit the vehicle? How about car seats? I had actually ordered a carseat with a narrow base specifically for the NG rear seat. It's still sitting my garage, unused. I also wonder how the rear seat will wear over time with the bolstering.

If Tesla is going to discontinue the NG rears, it would be nice if they designed a rear seat that looks the same as the fronts (horizontal stitching, for example.)

As someone who received his car with the old seats and is owed front and back NG seats, I echo others here seeking feedback from those of you who took delivery with rear NG seats. Especially if you have feedback from kids, family, etc. Are they comfortable? Does the extra bolstering help with lateral support? Does it make it more difficult to enter/exit the vehicle? How about car seats? I had actually ordered a carseat with a narrow base specifically for the NG rear seat. It's still sitting my garage, unused. I also wonder how the rear seat will wear over time with the bolstering.

If Tesla is going to discontinue the NG rears, it would be nice if they designed a rear seat that looks the same as the fronts (horizontal stitching, for example.)

While I too might be concerned about wear, I would hope that Tesla will keep a bunch of these around as possible replacements for those of us that choose to move forward with what we originally ordered, which at the time was their top of the line seating option. I plan to have both the front and back Next Generation seats installed in my P85D as soon as I'm informed they are available. If in a few years some issue develops, under warranty, with my rear seat, I am hoping I won't be told, "Sorry--we discontinued that seat, and we can't match it now. You knew when we put it in that it was discontinued." While that would be true, I also knew when I ordered it that it was brand new, and the top of the line. I think I am being completely reasonable in wanting my front seats and back seats to be a perfect match.

I think I am being completely reasonable in wanting my front seats and back seats to be a perfect match.

I agree. Mismatched seats are not acceptable in a $30k car, let alone a $130k car.

I would accept the rear seats with less bolstering but the same stitch pattern as the front. What they have now is a complete mismatch, and that seems to also be the case with the executive rear seats.

As far as the rear headrests, I think they will remain high. The design studio was never updated to show the higher headrests on the standard seats.

This doesn't really affect me, but I have to say I'm a bit shocked. Maybe this is a temporary situation while they rev the back seats again? To resolve the ingress/egress & folding complaints, it looks like they could have just slimmed down or eliminated the two central bolsters. Paying $3.5k for mismatched seats seems awfully crappy, especially since the fronts are such a gigantic improvement.

The high headrests in the back are, I think, a safety issue. The "new old" seats are better, but they definitely don't seem tall enough to protect tall passengers from whiplash in a rear collision. They're going to have to do some auto-folding thing like Mercedes eventually to pull them down when no one's back there, or at the very least make them manually-removable like practically every other automaker.

This is a mess.

The headrests were definitely too high (they basically touched the ceiling in non pano cars), but the seats were more comfortable. It's too bad they removed the option.

But the new high headrest is now standard with all the seats though. So we are still stuck with high headrest seats even without NG seats. So I don't think that complaint is really one of the issue.
I am happy that I bought the NG seats in time. They look really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

My due bill specifically says "next-gen seats, front and rear." Is it wrong to expect to receive what I am due, or compensation if they are not able to fulfill that item completely?

From my understanding from Jgdixon's previous messages, Jerome said that you will get the next-gen seats in the rear. However, if you choose to not take the rear NG seats, then there is no credit for the rear.

But the new high headrest is now standard with all the seats though. So we are still stuck with high headrest seats even without NG seats. So I don't think that complaint is really one of the issue.
I am happy that I bought the NG seats in time. They look really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

From my understanding from Jgdixon's previous messages, Jerome said that you will get the next-gen seats in the rear. However, if you choose to not take the rear NG seats, then there is no credit for the rear.
Correct

@sataponw Do you have next gen in the rear? The jury is still out about the center headrest size in the newer 'old' seats versus the next gen. We can check next week at our meeting as there will be a bunch of different cars there.

- - - Updated - - -

Does "if we are due" mean if you ordered the NG seats, or only if you already took delivery and have a due bill.
If you have next gen on order you will get them, I was referring to a due bill.

My due bill specifically says "next-gen seats, front and rear." Is it wrong to expect to receive what I am due, or compensation if they are not able to fulfill that item completely?

Mine says the same thing. And the Tesla Ownership rep said I would still get both front & rear if I still wanted them. However, he also said I would NOT get a refund if I just wanted the fronts. That part sounds fishy to me, although it's true that new orders only get the front next-gen seats for $3,500. However at the time I ordered, it was both front & rear for $3,500.

This doesn't really affect me, but I have to say I'm a bit shocked. Maybe this is a temporary situation while they rev the back seats again? To resolve the ingress/egress & folding complaints, it looks like they could have just slimmed down or eliminated the two central bolsters. Paying $3.5k for mismatched seats seems awfully crappy, especially since the fronts are such a gigantic improvement.

The high headrests in the back are, I think, a safety issue. The "new old" seats are better, but they definitely don't seem tall enough to protect tall passengers from whiplash in a rear collision. They're going to have to do some auto-folding thing like Mercedes eventually to pull them down when no one's back there, or at the very least make them manually-removable like practically every other automaker.

This is a mess.

I know the prototype is "old" at this point, but I liked the flexibility of the Model X headrests
tesla-model-x-at-2013-detroit-auto-show_100415432_l.jpg

Mine says the same thing. And the Tesla Ownership rep said I would still get both front & rear if I still wanted them. However, he also said I would NOT get a refund if I just wanted the fronts. That part sounds fishy to me, although it's true that new orders only get the front next-gen seats for $3,500. However at the time I ordered, it was both front & rear for $3,500.

Perhaps the NG rears cost the same and it's the fronts that cost more? 1750 EXTRA per seat then.

every non-P85D owner shouldn't be forced to suffer with the uncomfortable old seats. the next-gen seats should be standard on all vehicles.

Not everyone thinks the old seats are uncomfortable. I wouldn't have paid another $2k for the new seats if they were an option on my 85D. But the back seats were my biggest concern about the new seats. The bolsters looked ridiculous on the bench seat and obviously would degrade the seat folding flat to some degree. If Tesla wants to make the new seats standard on all new vehicles, that wouldn't bother me. But if they don't it also wouldn't bother me. By the same token I don't care if they offer the next gen seats to everyone regardless of which battery/motors they get. But I don't feel that I'm suffering with uncomfortable old seats, nor do I think the majority of owners would agree with that sentiment.

this. every non-P85D owner shouldn't be forced to suffer with the uncomfortable old seats. the next-gen seats should be standard on all vehicles.

My wife and I find the "old" seats in our 2013 S quite comfortable even during several 7 hour driving days that we have done. So don't assume that everyone finds the original S seats "uncomfortable".